TotallyOz

The boys of Pattaya vs the boys of Phnom Penh

I have been doing visa runs this year to Phnom Penh. They will do a same day 60 day tourist visa that I needed. I found the best way to do these is to leave Bangkok on the early morning flight. I took Thai Air roundtrip and the cost was 6800 plus taxes which ended up like 10k baht.

The cost to enter Cambodia is 20USD. The cost to leave at the end of the day is 25USD. You need to bring USD and pay in that currency. Best to have exact change or you may have to wait. The airport dispensers all give out US Dollars if you don

I met up with a nice guy from the Blue Chilli on the first night in PP & we had a session at about 4:00 am.

The second night I was sitting outside The Salt Lounge & some rather cute & quite funny guy had his hands all over me. I made the mistake of leaving him & going after the first guy, who was unfortnuately working until quite late again that night.

I was tired myself, so turned in early.

I should have stayed there longer. This town must be worth several nights.

I think it makes sense to do one leg overland to see some of Thailand & Siem Reap.

The guys I meet in Cambodia speak considerably better English than those in Thailand.

I believe we have had a thread here previously on Phnom Penh or Cambodia at any rate.

There are a couple of gay bars as noted by z909. Blue Chili is a fun little bar with very cute staff. They have drag shows at the weekend. The Salt Lounge is a laid back bar. Both places have locals money-boys looking to hook up.

There seems to be a growing scene. There are a couple of blogs

http://queercambodia.blogspot.com/

http://www.cambodiaout.webs.com/

And I completely agree on the beauty of Khmer boys. There was a guy at Blue Chili last time I was there who had the most gorgeous face. He looked just like a Khmer Buddha statue.

Guest lvdkeyes

I think it makes sense to do one leg overland to see some of Thailand & Siem Reap.

I have done the overland trip to Siem Reap; there is nothing much of interest to see and the road from the border to Siem Reap was horrible with long stretches without pavement and huge potholes. It was probably the worst road trip I have ever taken anywhere. Once in Siem Reap it was like another world.

Guest muliama

I have done the overland trip to Siem Reap; there is nothing much of interest to see and the road from the border to Siem Reap was horrible with long stretches without pavement and huge potholes. It was probably the worst road trip I have ever taken anywhere. Once in Siem Reap it was like another world.

The road from Poipet to Siem Reap is now completely sealed and is a dream run....no potholes, no stretches not sealed. Likewise the road from Poipet through to Battambang and direct to Phom Penh.

Try it some time.... taxi from Bangkok to Poipet border Bht1800 and Poipet to Siem Reap US$50...cheaper than Bangkok Airways and a great way to see the country.

If you are going to PP via Battambang stay a while in this great little old French colonial town. Check out the Khmer Delight restaurant in the centre of town run by a great gay Khmer guy, Seth and "quality controlled" by Graham, a South African/Aussi guy who fusses around straightening the starched napkins and recommending a huge plate of prawns for US$2 with wine to go.....

Siem Reap to Poipet taxi was $34 in December. I didn't even haggle for that price. The taxi was flying past all the buses.

Buses BKK <==> Talat Rong Kleua market or BKK <==>Aranya Prathet + 60 baht tuk tuk are reasonable options for the Thai leg.

The scenic route is the 46 baht 6 hour train ride from BKK to Aranya Prathet.

I think the guys in Cambodia are indeed handsome. I enjoy Phnom Phen. Never stayed more than 3 nights.

Some have said they hope Sihanoukville (sp) will become the next Pattaya. I have never been there and have no idea if there is any gay scene. Others been there?

There is a thread in the Gay Asia forum about Sihanoukville

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2338-cambodia-sihanoukville/

It's hard to imagine there is much of a gay scene there yet. I spent some time last year in southern Cambodia at Kep. It is very quiet there. Bokor Mountain was quite interesting and a bone-jarring ride I hope to never repeat. There are some islands off the coast that are unspoiled for the most part.