Guest fealesa

Ubon Ratchathani

There was one about two years ago - called Silver Pub - but I understand it is now closed.

I know there is a boy brothel on Phrommarat Rd but farangs seem NOT to be welcomed in this place, better send your boyfriend.

Some years ago, I saw cute hustlers in the building where there are games near Nevada Hotel and disco (north of town) - could not consumate as I had the boyfriend with me. I guess you could also find friends in the Thung Si Muang park in the middle of the town.

And there was also a Relaxing Sauna but I did not hear of them since long.

Guest fountainhall

When I was in the city two years ago for the Candle Festival, there was a rather nice sauna in Prommarat Road Soi 1 near the river called Relaxing Sauna and Spa. It looked like it had been there for some time and there were a lot of young Thais. Not sure if it's still there.

Relaxing Sauna and Spa has a listing in Thai online 'yellow pages' as:

Address: 163/1 Soi Phromrat 1 Phromrat Tumbol Naimueang Amphoe Mueang Ubon Ratchathani Ubon Ratchathani 34000

Tel : 0452, 045253

They have a website listed as www.relaxingsauna.com

But it seems to be offline. So, perhaps this info is 'dated'.

I was there for the candle festival this year and had a blast. I did see many sexy guys all over the place but did not look for a gay bar. We did go to a karaoke bar and there were gay boys there. Not sure the scene. But, here are some of the pics I took for the Candle Festival for those of you who have not seen them.

post-2333-1253420459793_thumb.jpg

post-2333-12534204747156_thumb.jpg

post-2333-12534204831508_thumb.jpg

post-2333-12534204943231_thumb.jpg

post-2333-12534205024543_thumb.jpg

post-2333-12534205182574_thumb.jpg

post-2333-12534205279065_thumb.jpg

post-2333-12534205421724_thumb.jpg

post-2333-12534205609553_thumb.jpg

Guest fountainhall
I was there for the candle festival this year and had a blast. I did see many sexy guys all over the place

Totally agree with GT. I was there 2 years ago - it's one of Thailand's great Festivals.

post-1892-12534602881012_thumb.jpg

post-1892-12534603055611_thumb.jpg

post-1892-12534603255785_thumb.jpg

post-1892-12534603625339_thumb.jpg

post-1892-12534603808528_thumb.jpg

post-1892-12534604016344_thumb.jpg

Thank you Gay Thailand and Fountainhall for the beautiful photos.

I had not heard of the Candle Festival. I've now looked it up and see it is a parade held during Khao Phansa, a Buddhist holiday marking the beginning of phansaa, the Rains Retreat (Buddhist Lent) during July. I also read that lent is the traditional time for young men to enter the monkhood for the rainy season and for all monks to base themselves in a monastery for the three months.

Any more information keenly sought!

I have looked for this sauna but without success can you give directions. Is it on this street or a side street. Is there a sign in English. Thanks for any help.

When I was in the city two years ago for the Candle Festival, there was a rather nice sauna in Prommarat Road Soi 1 near the river called Relaxing Sauna and Spa. It looked like it had been there for some time and there were a lot of young Thais. Not sure if it's still there.

Guest fountainhall
I have looked for this sauna but without success can you give directions

Here's the post I made 2 years ago.

Just for interest, I found Relaxing Sauna and Spa but it is rather like the proverbial needle in the haystack. I rang the phone number on the website 045 242 249 and thankfully there is someone with limited English. This established that it is in Prommarat Road Soi 1, quite close to the river. That's the easy part. Having walked 20 minutes from my hotel armed with just a basic map all in Thai (almost the only one hotels give out - although on departure I did find a bilingual map for 150 Baht at the airport which would have made things so much easier!), I found Soi 2 and assumed Soi 1 would be relatively close. Then I found Soi 3 and so backtracked going down endless little trails for the next 30 minutes. With just basic Thai, I asked over 6 people for Soi 1 - and none had a clue! Finally turning back, I eventually found it in which must be a logical position - a small, unmarked concrete path between Soi 2 and 3! There is a sign for the sauna on a house wall, but you will only notice it if you are walking in one direction (east). So keep looking around you when you see concrete paths.

To get that far, it's best to ask your hotel to point out 2 temples on your map - Wat Klang and Wat Tai Ong Tue. Both are on Prommarat and the sauna is roughly between them (slightly closer to Wat Klang). Soi 1 goes down towards the river (away from the main town) and Rainbow is about 50 metres on the right. It's an old Thai house with two wings separated by a little garden. Upstairs from the changing room (with the tiniest lockers I have ever encountered!) is a small gym area and a reading room with a computer. The other wing is much more attractive with a bar, sauna and steam room, several sitting out areas, a video room, 2 dark rooms and a few cabins. Most of the action was in the dark room behind the video room.

The setting is lovely, much like the House of Male in Chiang Mai, but with no restaurant. Entrance is 99 Baht and drinks are only 40 Baht. One problem is that it is all very dark, so move slowly until you get the hang of the place or you'll hit something sticking out from a floor or a wall. Another is that foreigners rarely visit except during the Candle Festival, and whilst there's a natural curiosity, you may only find a few guys interested in going to a cabin with you. But that dark room can be hot and busy!

Although Rainbow officially opens at 6:00 pm, there's no point going much before 9:00 when most of the locals arrive. The 2 nights I went, there must have been about 40 guys by 10.30. Yet another problem is that part of town is all but dead at night and there is no late public transport. So before you set out for your visit, work out how you are going to return, especially if you are staying some distance away. Hopefully you'll find a guy prepared to give you a lift home.

Thank you very much I think I know the location now. I know where the temples are. As I am new to these saunas, could you let me know what is the scene? Do people meet there or is it paid services? Thanking you again.

Here's the post I made 2 years ago.

Guest fountainhall

When I was there, the Ubon sauna was patronised exclusively by Thais. I saw no other farang at all. So there is no money boy scene there. It is purely for casual meeting and having fun on the premises. What happens thereafter is presumably up to you and your new friend!

Guest jtrack33

I have just returned from a few days in Ubon and was fortunate enough to have contacted a boy or two before I went, on Gay Romeo. Just do a search on Ubon and contact all those who appeal)They are students at Ubon Ratchathani University and happily met me outside their campus at Wirun. A great storm was in progress and I took them to one of the floating restaurants on the Moon River outside town. Due to the rain and darkness, we were the only customers. It was most enjoyable. The two boys were friends..one 19 and the other 20. The older had a farang boyfriend overseas someplace but was keen to take me to the hotel with his virgin friend who is still single! Both boys were happy to strip and one smoked me while I smoked the virgin. Very social and open guys who just wanted fun. Then I took them back to their dormitory in the university. It is a huge campus...bigger than Khon Kaen's apparently.

Guest jtrack33

Does your hotel merit a recommendation here? (based on standard of hotel & attitude towards your guests)

The hotel was about Bht650/night including breakfast. It is The Regent Hotel on the main drag very near to Robinsons and Pizza Company on the same side of the road. The rooms are a bit basic but large...the boys just carried my bag and helped me check in and park the car. They were both dressed in university uniform and so looked respectable and gave no reason for anyone to think they were there for anything other than helping a farang to settle in. Another similarly priced joint is the Nevada Inn...also doesn't appear to be even capable of imagining anything sexual taking place between a young lad and a farang going to a room together. The advantage of the Nevada Inn(Not the main pricier Nevada Hotel just opposite)is that it has a Black Canyon and S&P restaurant in the same building..

Guest fealesa

The older had a farang boyfriend overseas someplace but was keen to take me to the hotel with his virgin friend who is still single!

Which hotel did you use?

Guest fountainhall

Just for information, Utopia has given out the dates of the Ubon Candle Festival for the next few years. These are -

27 July 2010

16 July 2011

3 July 2013

23 July 2014

Anyone thinking of going next year should lock in your hotel soon if you want to stay in the city, which I recommend.

I was there three years ago for the candle festival. You could try the Takraw courts in Nong Bua park as a cruising area. Don't know if it actually is used as that, but there were a few groups of gay boys hanging around the courts in the evening.

I know you like a good Wat, Christian. Don't miss Wat Ban na Muang. It has an elephant gateway, and not one, but two buildings in the form of boats. It also has a Chinese cemetery inside the grounds, which is unusual.