reader

Don't get horny in Cambodia

From The Independent

image.thumb.jpeg.f26237e18416c8dc533b5333cba813c4.jpeg

An image of children dancing on the side of the road as shared by the Cambodian PM

---------------

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet is fed up with street dancing.

The politician this week ordered a ban on musical horns, after videos posted on social media showed people dancing on roads and roadsides as passing trucks blasted rhythmic little tunes.

Hun Manet, who last year took over the wheel of government from his father, Hun Sen, called on the Ministry of Public Works and Transportation and police across the country to immediately take action against any vehicle whose normal horn has been replaced by a tune-playing one by ripping it out and restoring the standard honking type. He said the measure has already been implemented by provincial authorities, but he wanted to announce it publicly to make sure it was enforced nationwide.

He commented on his Facebook page on Monday that recent social media posts had shown “inappropriate activity committed by some people, especially youth and children, dancing on the roadside to the musical sounds from trucks’ horns.”

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

Lucky country whose Prime Minister busies himself with such important and strategic matter. Wouldn't it be nicer if he did something about that road being paved ?

But no brown envelope payments for that? Or maybe there would be. The state of the roads in Cambodia is indeed a disgrace. Siem Reap has Angkor Wat, the biggest tourist attraction In SE Asia, and is the poorest province. Something wrong somewhere!

51 minutes ago, Keithambrose said:

. The state of the roads in Cambodia is indeed a disgrace.

still big improvement compared to my first visit back in 2001. Then National Highway  6 toward Poipet was not much better if at all than road shown above and look at it now !

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

still big improvement compared to my first visit back in 2001. Then National Highway  6 toward Poipet was not much better if at all than road shown above and look at it now !

I don't  think NH 6 is that great now! When you turn off the new airport road onto NH 6, it's still a bit like a country lane, and the slow lorries etc are a real pain!

On 3/23/2024 at 7:16 PM, Keithambrose said:

I don't  think NH 6 is that great now! When you turn off the new airport road onto NH 6, it's still a bit like a country lane, and the slow lorries etc are a real pain!

compared to what it was in 2001 it feels for me like 10 lane highway now, specially past Siem Reap toward Poipet