Gaybutton

Newest "Flying Farang"

We haven't had a good 'Flying Farang' story in ages. Oh well, we've got one now:

For photos see:

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.php?IDNEWS=0000010823

-and-

http://www.pattayaone.net/news/2009/october/news_29_10_52.shtml

The following appears in the PATTAY DAILY NEWS:

_____

STRESSED-OUT GERMAN LEAPS TO HIS DEATH IN JOMTIEN

Pattaya, October 29, 2009, [PDN]

A stressed-out German leapt to his death from a Jomtien hotel early this morning, October 29. The man was apparently deeply concerned over an impending leg amputation, according to hotel staff who tried desperately to prevent him from committing suicide, but to no avail.

At 07.30 am, 29 October, Pol.Lt.Col. Dongtan-Pattaya Police Investigator, was informed by Mr. Weera Dumnernpanitch, a security guard manager of a luxury Jomtien Hotel and Spa, Jomtien Beach Road, that a foreign male had apparently gone berserk and flung himself off the balcony of his room, meeting his death on the 5th Floor, despite desperate attempts by staff to talk him out of jumping. Police and paramedics were immediately dispatched to investigate the incident.

The body of Jurgen Rudihans, 68, a German national, was found by the rescue team lying in a pool blood, with his smashed watch lying by his side, by the side of the swimming pool on the 5th Floor. His arms and legs were broken. He was wearing a white T-shirt and black shorts.

According to Mr. Weera, responding to police questioning, he had been alerted by staff at 6.30 am that Mr. Jurgen’s friend from Room 1715 had called Reception, saying that Mr. Jurgen, from Room 1714, was sitting on his sea-view balcony, evidently distraught, looking as if he was about to leap off. Mr. Weera said he and the staff rushed to Mr. Jurgen’s room, but his door was locked. They then gained entrance through the adjacent Room. 1715 to find Mr. Jurgen crying and saying he wanted to kill himself.

The hotel staff then immediately reported the alarming situation to the police. Mr. Weera said he, the staff and Mr Jurgen’s friend were trying their best to calm Mr. Jurgen down, but he told everyone that he had a serious health problem that would necessitate having his leg amputated at the Rama Hospital in Bangkok next month and he would not have any family members, or friends to take care of him. This all occurred over a period of 10 minutes, but at the end of this, he suddenly leapt to his death, impacting on the swimming pool on the hotel’s 5th Floor at approximately 6.40am.

The police filed the case and Mr. Jurgen’s body was sent for autopsy and the German Embassy was informed.

And this, from PATTAYA ONE:

_____

German Jumps to his Death from Hi-rise Apartment Block in Jomtien

Pattaya, October 29 [PATTAYA ONE NEWS]

Early on Thursday Morning, Police and Rescue Workers were called to the Nusa Playa Hotel located on Jomtien Beach following reports of a foreign man who was threatening to jump off a 17th Floor Balcony. Officers arrived but were too late to prevent the man from jumping to his death. Police began their investigation by speaking to Security Staff at the Hotel and a neighbor of the victim who resides in the room.

He explained that early on Thursday he was awoken by a commotion inside the room occupied by Mr. Jurgen Rudi Hans Oberhoff aged 68 from Berlin, Germany. Mr. Oberhoff was standing on his balcony and appeared to be preparing to jump. Security and Hotel Staff led by Khun Wira, Deputy Manager of the Complex were called and attempted to reason with him but he kept repeating that he would have to have his leg amputated in the next few days at a Hospital in Bangkok because of a vascular disease known as ASVD and was not prepared to live life as an amputee.

Eventually Mr. Oberhoff jumped and landed on the 5th floor next to the Swimming Pool. The German Embassy has been informed as was his Thai Wife; Khun Prakom aged 48 who was not inside the room at the time of the suicide.

To be honest I'm more shocked at your lack of compassion and respect for an individual who seemed to be faced with a horrendous choice of fate than i am with the disgusting habit of the Thai press of printing grossly disrespectful photos. Your throw-away 'flying farang' headline makes a mockery of this poor mans life.

This was not some drugged up hopeless case or drunk foreigner with no money or the victim of a deliberate 'push over the edge' by some girlfriend after an arguement about drink and money........this was a human being who found himself in a position i can only imagine would be soul destroying....

How you can make light of such a situation i really cannot understand. I sincerely hope you do not find yourself in such a desparate position to learn what it must have felt like. But at least there were some commendable actions by the Thai staff who attempted to persuade him not to jump.

One would have to feel very low to resort to taking your own life. If you must reproduce another 'good flying farang story' try doing it with a little more dignity on behalf of the tormented victim........suicide or not.

To be honest I'm more shocked at your lack of compassion and respect for an individual

Yes, isn't that terrible? Sorry if I shocked you, but you're entitled to your opinion. Here's mine: We've used that term, flying farang, for years whenever someone decides to take a swan dive from a tall building. Compassion for the guy from me? Good luck with that one.

If I'm going to have compassion for someone, it would be the poor guy a 'flying farang' lands on.

Guest Soi10Tom

Yes, isn't that terrible? Sorry if I shocked you, but you're entitled to your opinion. Here's mine: We've used that term, flying farang, for years whenever someone decides to take a swan dive from a tall building. Compassion for the guy from me? Good luck with that one.

If I'm going to have compassion for someone, it would be the poor guy a 'flying farang' lands on.

We have known each other for a number of years Gaybutton, and you really need to be called out for this response. It doesn't not seem to me to be consistent with the man I have known for at least seven years. The man I know has helped many people newly arrived in Thailand and has been a good friend to many more; I have always thought of you as a man with a good heart. Your post above makes you appear to be a bitter mean human. Please rethink your mean spirited response and issue an apology to both alaan and the Board members.

Please rethink your mean spirited response and issue an apology to both alaan and the Board members.

I don't think so, my friend. I have no apology to make to anyone. If I apologized about my post, that would be pointless because the apology would be a lie. I don't share your opinion on this at all. If and when I make apologies, I make them because I feel that I owe them, and I do make public apologies on this board. But I never make apologies because someone else decides for me that I should.

I have absolutely no sympathy for Flying Farang. Not one bit. I've also been writing Flying Farang posts for years. As a matter of fact, I'm the one who coined the term. No one has ever complained before, but now all of a sudden I'm mean spirited and heartless because of this post. If I'm sorry about anything, I'm only sorry that you and alaan feel that way. Besides, I have yet to ever meet anyone who is consistent about everything.

Guest taylorsquare

Actually I had a good laugh about it.

Because thats what lifes about.

Dont take it personally ,you have to have a sense of humour.

Even Nurses ,doctors,paramedics joke about their job.

I had a night college friend a few years ago who was a paramedic and had attended a incident where a man was impaled in the mouth on a fence post and he joked to me that he was probaly trying to give the fence post a blowjob.

Yes I was shocked but hey if you dont have a sense of humour ,life becomes too serious.

Have you ever listened to that song "Poker poker face"?

I don't find the story funny or amusing in the least. I find it very sad. When someone is pushed to the point of suicide, it is a very serious matter and in this case was not brought on my lost love, unobtainable erections or too many 3 ways. It was a very hard choice in his life and he chose a path that most of us would not choose. Still, it is very sad!

GayButton has a right to his opinion and no one should apologize when they think they are right. In this case, I agree with Soi10Tom in that the statements don't sound like the GB I know. IMHO

Guest fountainhall

Whilst I appreciate the other opinions being expressed, I'm with GB on this one. The term "flying farang" has been used on this Board for years without much negative comment. Why bring it up now? Indeed, is it not a rather apt, succinct and accurate description of a physical act that has taken place?

I'm sure all of us agree that anyone's decision to end their life is a desperately sad occasion for the individual and his/her family and friends. That said, though, I for one suggest that prior to jumping from a building, an individual might spend a little more time considering the inconvenience, shock and downright horror - if there are witnesses (how would an impressionable child react?) - he is about to impose on others by a basically selfish act. As GB mentions, none seem to give any thought to the possibility, slight though it may be, of landing on another human being, thereby causing major injury and possibly death. Let's face it, there are other far less messy ways to "shuffle off this mortal coil".

I am reminded of one by a joke made by Mel Brookes about his engagement to the gorgeous Ann Bancroft. Telling his very Jewish mamma that he was about to marry an Italian, his mother paused, then said: "Tell her to come over for lunch on Sunday. I'll be in the kitchen - with my head in the oven." :D

As all great comedians know (and as taylorsquare suggests in his post), the border between comedy and tragedy is knife-edge. Much superb comedy comes out of very sad situations.

Guest taylorsquare

Sad situations,actually who remembers back in 2005 when the irish man,sorry forget his name,I think Keith or Ken was kidnapped in Iraq.

His wife was Thai and he had been living in Thailand but was working as a contractor in Iraq.

He was shown on TV locked in a small cage in a orange suit ,whilst begging Tony Blair for help.

This was going on for weeks.

Comedian Billy Connelly was performing at the time and started talking about it,and he made jokes"if theres going to do it (kill him)then why dont they just bloody do it!!!

A few days later they did,cutting off this poor mans head.

I'm in both camps here to a degree. Rather sad that somebody (usually some drunken ass but not always) elects to joing the flying farang circus.

But I guess I'll save my compassion for the loved ones (if any) the leaping guy left behind. And, as GB noted, also for the poor bastard walking by a high-rise that some day is going to be a landing pad (years ago I suggested we all start wearing hard hats when walking by the tall buildings in Pattaya).

The term "flying farang" has been used on this Board for years without much negative comment.

That term has been used on this board for years without any negative comment . . . until now, and I'm not the only one around here who uses that term. Some are saying this is not the GB you know. Well, yes it is. I guess it's a side of me some simply were not aware of.

I'll explain a little further for those who are so taken aback about my attitude. I don't make fun of suicide in and of itself. I think it's a terrible thing for someone to be driven to do away with himself. But anyone who has been on these boards for an appreciable length of time knows that an unusually large number of farang intentionally jump to their deaths from local tall buildings. It's happened so many times that I coined the term "Flying Farang."

Maybe I've become jaded due to so many incidents. For a while it seemed to be at least one a week. This one is yet another one in a long list and yes, it's true that I really don't care. I'm sorry if that bothers some of you or makes you think that the usually sympathetic, ready to try to help, me would feel that way, but I'll bet that you too have things about you that bother others.

I truly have no sympathy whatsoever for the Flying Farang. None at all. I do feel sorry for the reasons that brought them to suicide, but I have no sympathy for their method. Don't expect me to be among those who shed any tears for this guy or anyone else who dives out the window.

Guest fountainhall

Comedian Billy Connelly was performing at the time and started talking about it,and he made jokes"if theres going to do it (kill him)then why dont they just bloody do it!!!

A few days later they did,cutting off this poor mans head.

I've known and admired Billy Connolly since he was treading the boards in Glasgow in the early 1970s. But if what you quote is accurate (and I have no reason to doubt it), I think it is despicable.

Although new to this forum I am not new to Thailand and am familiar with jumpers aka flying farang. Like others I have a mental image of a pathetic wretch, penniless, alcoholic, despondent with no hope of a future. Perhaps we prefer this image in order to divorce ourselves from the reality of the situation? After all it could be one of us someday! Likely, if it were a young Thai guy who was the jumper we might think it more a tragedy and wonder what circumstances brought him to end his life.

As for the method of dying, jumping is easy, quick and effective although messy. There is a chance of the falling body hitting someone but that is minuscule compared to the daily risk of being struck by suicidal motorbike drivers. Firearms are not readily available; household poison are nasty and prolonged; potent sedatives are difficult to attain; leaving hanging or asphyxiation.

If anything, Allan should be commended for his compassion and perhaps making us consider further that these unfortunates are human beings.

Guest fountainhall

As for the method of dying, jumping is easy, quick and effective although messy . . . Firearms are not readily available; household poison are nasty and prolonged; potent sedatives are difficult to attain; leaving hanging or asphyxiation.

You didn't mention getting into a nice warm bath with a nice glass of wine and slitting one's wrists - like the Roman philosopher Seneca? Oh, I forgot. Baths are not that common in Thailand!

On a less flippant note, there is one thing that would probably put me - most people? - off attempting any form of flying farang suicide. It is a fact that when you are involved in, say, an accident, time/consciousness literally slows down. What takes a few seconds will seem a great deal longer - rather like a movie being played at slow speed. I know, because it has happened to me on a couple of occasions. What if I have gone through all the arguments, decided I have no alternative and propelled myself off my 8th floor balcony, only to discover as time rapidly slows that I forgot to do something important before the leap - or was suddenly struck by the awful realisation of the dreadful pain and grief I would inflict on loved ones? Thoughts, emotions that had abandoned me as I made the decision.

Of course it's a rhetorical question, as none of us can know. But I cannot imagine the feeling of seeing the ground approach in a state of utter panic because I had found a reason to live.

Like others I have a mental image of a pathetic wretch, penniless, alcoholic, despondent with no hope of a future. Perhaps we prefer this image in order to divorce ourselves from the reality of the situation?

Actually, I believe the so-called "mental image" you cite is rather accurate in most cases. People who have difficulty (psychologically, alcoholically, financially, etc.) tend to attempt to escape their troubles by moving to another location. They blame their

immediate environment for all or part of their problems and presume that a new a glorious life can be found elsewhere; unfortunately, the problems eventually tag along.

But most people make choices and I have difficulty getting too compassionate for people who continually make self-destructive choices. It's not that different from the drunk driver in my view. He kills himself and/or others because of really stupid choices - and I'm going to reserve my true feelings of sympathy for those who are innocently harmed by those self-destructive choices.

I've always assumed - without really any valid evidence - that falang suicides in Thailand exceed the per capita suicide rate in the falang's home country. Maybe my perception/assumption is accurate because a high number of problem people are drawn to Thailand; however, maybe it's just because the Thai press seems to so callously report and photograph every falang taking the big dive. I'm not sure which view is accurate but there surely seem to be a lot of flying falang around here.

Guest tdperhs

If you don't think this is a valid concern, check out this article.

http://books.google.co.th/books?id=iuwDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=Notre++Dame+%2BParis+%2B%22lands+on%22+%2Bsuicide+%2Btourists&source=bl&ots=7k3jiNGeUx&sig=kOTiF3q81BDCkFfpHisWwl0KFC4&hl=en&ei=NErtSpapJZGOkQWYtNiKDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Notre%20%20Dame%20%2BParis%20%2B%22lands%20on%22%20%2Bsuicide%20%2Btourists&f=false

I realize the webpage address is longer than the article, but it is easy enough to copy and paste. I was able to find this because I remember reading about this during one of my extended nightmare stays in L.A.

Guest fountainhall

. . . and one of those desperately unfortunate people stuck in the World Trade Center on 9/11 jumped and landed on the Fire Services chaplain, killing him instantly. But that was a desperately sad and unique occasion. I mention it only because it came to mind - not because I wish any parallels to be drawn.

Please rethink your mean spirited response and issue an apology to both alaan and the Board members.

Soi10Tom, I'm in your and alaan's camp on this....decidely so! With a nod to your having known GB for a long time, I'll simply add that his "stern" views on things are views that I can most certainly do without. Therefore, when I read this board, as I often do, I read for the excellent postings of its other members. And, I simply 'read around' and ignore GB.

There. I've said it, and I "don't apologize"!

I have absolutely no sympathy for Flying Farang. Not one bit. I've also been writing Flying Farang posts for years. As a matter of fact, I'm the one who coined the term.

I don't think that you coined the expression "flying farang" and it was hardly an original one, but first came into use to describe the circumstances in which police reports noted that farangs had killed themselves by jumping, in circumstances that suggested that they might have been helped over the railings! It since became a light hearted reference on the frequency of this method of suicide in Pattaya.

I think that you drew flack for your insensitivity in this case, because this was a case particularly worthy of some compassion, not just a failed love affair or running out of money.

Guest jtrack33

To reward those of you who have already discovered there is now a second page to this thrilling thread, I would like to inform you of Thai Airways current promotion for Flying Farangs and others.

If you go on the ThaiAirways.co.th web site and then to promotions, you will find relatively cheap domestic flights available until 31st March. For example, Chiang Mai round trip is about Bht3,500 and Ubon about Bht3,800. All other domestic destinations are cheap except Phuket and Samui are still relatively expensive I guess because they are more high season sensitive.

Guest fountainhall

For example, Chiang Mai round trip is about Bht3,500 and Ubon about Bht3,800

Unfortunately these fares exclude the dreaded taxes and surcharges. I checked on TG's website this morning. For Chiang Mai they add Bt. 1,710 to the cost. So the total is considerably more than the low cost carriers, alas.

Whilst on the subject of airlines, I am constantly amazed (well, I suppose this is Amazing Thailand :huh: ) at how little attention some pay to the detail on their websites. On its international home page, TG is presently running a banner as follows:

Thai Airways is pleased to announce the Prize winner "Your Impressive to Norways"

I'd have thought the least any major international airline would have for its international website is a qualified English proof-reader! Standards are indeed slipping. I suppose if I hear "Brace! Brace!" on a TG flight I can assume it means some young lad has lost his expensive teeth appendage.

Equally stupid, if you click on Promotions, you will see that TG has a "Special Domestic Senior Citizens Fare 2009" page. Anyone aged 60 or over qualifies. Intrigued, I opened the page to see that the Table of Fares is actually not for 2009 - but for for calendar 2008. Read the small print at the bottom and you will then see that the fares are applicable for the whole of 2009! But there is a catch (Amazing Thailand again): "Tickets must be issued on/before 31DEC08". Actually there are two catches, because the Senior Citizen's fare is a helluva lot more expensive than the promotional fares! I suppose to be fair to TG, I should add these fares permit changes, whereas promotion fares do not. But talk about one hand not knowing what the other is doing!! But then, what hands get up to is already the subject of other posts :lol:

Guest jtrack33

Fountainhall, the prices I mentioned are definitely with all taxes and surcharges included. I have already booked, got the e-ticket and seen what was debited on my credit card.

Here are some specific examples of with charges and without:

Firstly click on the "Promotions" button on the home page and then again select "Promotions" from the sub menu and then select "Explore Thailand with Exceptional Value" button. Then it will show all the pre-tax/surcharge prices..ie:

Ubon Bht2,160

Chiang Mai Bht2,060

and etcc and these prices are for round trip.

Then from that page of basic prices, fill in the origin/destination and dates u require and you will then be shown the basic price for all the days on and around your travel preferred date.

Then click on select at the bottom and you will be shown the flight times on the day you book.

Click the flight times you want and then you will see the basic price at the bottom. Then click on Select again and it will show you the basic price of Bht2,060 and the taxes/charges at Bht1,710 and the total of bht3,770.

For Ubon, you will get Bht2,160 + Bht1,660 = Bht3,820.

But I see where you went wrong in getting your price....it seems to have been in the main flight booking page where the Chiang Mai basic price is Bht3,600 + taxes/charges of Bht1,710 = Bht5,000++

Follow my instructions above and you will get the cheap price.