reader

Don't assume that they'll stop

I like to think that I exercise all due caution when crossing Silom or Surawong roads but the following incident gives me a moment of pause to reconsider if I've become overconfident.

From the Thaiger

Drunk taxi driver crashes and kills traffic cop in Bangkok

A drunk taxi driver crashed and killed a traffic police officer on Phahonyothin Road in the Bang Khen district of Bangkok on April 28.

The deputy traffic inspector from the Bang Khen Police Station, 54 year old police sub-lieutenant Autsada Jamniansi, lost his life while he was on duty directing traffic during a mini-marathon event on Phahonyothin Road. He was rushed to Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital but tragically succumbed to the severe injuries.

Continues with vieo

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/drunk-taxi-driver-crashes-and-kills-traffic-cop-in-bangkok-video

unfortunately with drunk drivers there's not much to shield us from  this type of accident other than staying home. One may be standing on the sidewalk , safe distance from the curb and still be hit.

14 hours ago, vinapu said:

unfortunately with drunk drivers there's not much to shield us from  this type of accident other than staying home. One may be standing on the sidewalk , safe distance from the curb and still be hit.

Fair point. I happily cross Surawong, etc, assuming that the drivers will miss me, but nothing can deal with a guy who veers off the road.

5 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Fair point. I happily cross Surawong, etc, assuming that the drivers will miss me, but nothing can deal with a guy who veers off the road.

The police officer was killed in the middle of the road, as the video in link shows.  The taxi did crash into sidewalk but came to stop within the intersection.