Gaybutton

Gay Romeo vs. the Bar Scene

The bar scene is better placed to serve the tourist industry.

The sad thing about Thailand's gay bar scene is how, despite this advantage, they are throwing it all away through poor quality and ever-increasing prices.

I agree with both of those statements. I believe gay holiday makers are not coming to Thailand to sit on Gay Romeo and that's why I think many of the bars will survive, but I also think the ones at which nothing is done to make themselves more attractive to customers will not survive.

After all, I can't speak for others, but given a choice of going to a bar where the music is at a comfortable level, where there are no pushy mama-sans, where drinks and off fees are reasonably priced, and the boys are at least entertaining to watch, guess which bars will get my business.

Internet dating is time-consuming, language-dependent, and just as prone to lying and deceit as mamasans and bar boys.

Actually, the internet has additional possibilities for deception including failing to show up for the appointment and posting a photograph that was taken 5 years ago, or even of someone else.

At least in a gogo bar you know what he looks like & he is there in the flesh.

Guest fountainhall

Actually, the internet has additional possibilities for deception including failing to show up for the appointment and . . .

And then there is the Thai habit of being at least 30 minutes late - and often more.

I am just fixing up an appointment with a Japanese guy.

Reliability is ingrained into Japanese culture, so this one can't fail.

My first Gay Romeo date awaits......... or will it be another let down?

Those solvent westerners residing in Thailand are so lucky to have the gogo bars.

i have returned to Bangkok. My stay in Pattaya was a mix of Gayromeo and the Bars. The best boys by far, I had were from Gayromeo .

Although I have to admit one of the boys I had met in a now out of business bar a few years ago. He no longer works the Bars and I would not have re-discovered him except for Gayromeo. The 2 boys I took from Bars , one was a total loss (did nothing). The other was willing but not very good. So Gayromeo for me won hands down in Pattaya this trip.

Now I have not been to Soi Twilight for 2 months. Between their prices and the Red Shirt trouble, I have found all my boys on Gayromeo.

Although I have had some boys who were a couple years older then their pictures , overall I have been more then satisfied and in some cases just fabulous BF sessions.

But tonight it was time to see how the recovery is going. I arrived on Soi Twilight at 915pm. My favorite bar for sometime has been XBoys.. I was pretty much a regular there for 2 years and seldom took a boy from anywhere else.

The Soi was very quiet and XBoys was my first and only stop. There were no customers and only a dozen boys instead of the usual 30 or more. But there were 6 boys I had never seen who were just absolutely HOT. Great faces and beautiful bodies. Now I have to admit not a single boy I have ever gotten from Gayromeo could compare with these boys. I picked the Hottest one IMHO and off we went.

He delivered as promised and I have to admit looking at him before and after definitely moved the needle back to the Bars for awhile. He cost me twice as much as a boy from Gayromeo when you add in the off fee, drinks, etc.. But it was worth it to have him lying next to me naked. LOL

I will continue to use both venues for finding boys but as Gaythailand said, if a bar has gorgeous boys customers will come.

Not tonight but eventually the tourists will return and I at least ,will start spending part time in the bars again.

What many have said here is the truth. The bars are very important, the owners just need to take instruction from some of the owners of the Girl Bars in how to run a proper Bar and attract and retain customers.

Actually, the internet has additional possibilities for deception including failing to show up for the appointment and posting a photograph that was taken 5 years ago, or even of someone else.

At least in a gogo bar you know what he looks like & he is there in the flesh.

That happens, but not very often. Once you get a feel for the personals sites, it doesn't take long to learn what to look for. The red lights are headless photos. Photos that obviously are not the same body. I look for things like body hair in one photo, but not in another or not in the same places. If there are tattoos, are the tattoos the same in each photo and in the same places? A six-pack in some photos, but not in others. Photos that have different tan lines. A "treasure trail" in some photos, but not in others. It doesn't take long to learn to pick up on these kinds of things.

A little less obvious are the things the boys say in their profiles. It takes awhile, but you eventually get to just kind of know when it's bullshit.

For what it's worth, once in awhile I get a dud from the personals sites, but most have been great. I think I mentioned earlier that once I did have a boy show up who was not the same boy in the photos. But it turned out I liked him much better than the boy I saw in the photos and I still see him rather often.

In the go-go bars you might be able to see the boys in the flesh, but by the time you've had your drink, paid for the boy's drink, and paid the off fee you've already gone through 600 or 700 baht and you haven't even walked out the door yet. And then he might turn out to be a dud. When that happens, assuming you give him his tip, you've kissed a good 1600 baht or more goodbye and haven't gotten much of anything to show for the money you've spent. Luckily, that kind of thing happening is also rather rare.

The point I'm trying to make is I see no greater risk in using the gay personals sites than there is in going to the bars. Each has its risks and each has its pros and cons. Living here, I tend to do both, although I use the gay personals sites much more often than I go to the bars. But that's me and I live here. I can go to the bars any time I please. I guess I'm one of those people who when you live there, you don't go very often. But I also have friends who live here and are in the bars nearly every night.

But holiday makers don't have the luxury of unlimited time and probably don't want to spend the limited time they do have available sitting there using the personals sites. I believe most holiday makers will prefer to go to the bars much more often than using the gay personals sites. After all, for most people here on a holiday, going to the bars is a major part of the reason for even being here at all, isn't it?

Another advantage to the personals sites - if you're here on a holiday and you're unfortunate enough to be here when the bars are closed, all you need to do is head for the nearest Internet shop, get on Gay Romeo, and you'll probably have an attractive young man coming over to join you before you even leave the Internet shop.

For those of you who prefer to see Gay Romeo boys in the flesh before meeting them, just go to the beach. I was at the beach today. Half of Gay Romeo was there. And believe me, there was plenty of that flesh to see and every one of them hoping to meet a farang.

For those of you who are thinking maybe right now a trip to Thailand isn't such a good idea, think again . . .

After all the no shows, I Finally managed my first Gay Romeo date with a lovely Japanese guy (in Europe). He didn't quite turn up at he promised time, but he did send me three extremely polite messages several hours in advance to warn of the delay. And he stayed all night. A lovely guy.

To me, this is what Gay Romeo is for -ie offering fantastic dating opportunities where there isn't much of a gay scene.

Although the actual level of English is not better then bar boys , they almost all use translators...

Online translators Tahi/English still have a long qway to go in my book. I was looking at a few profiles on gayboysiam and they read like somew sort of psychadelic Haiku. Here are a few translations straight from Google translation:

Ramindra boring toilet

three other

great puppet talk

Sukhothai are crazy people

that I talk about silk.

Find intimate past with fraud

Who would buy that ... my heart be lonely

Never to sell services or even purchase

Lose out to eat for gossip

Get a backpack. Find offense only.

Find what is not fun to do together

on a very simple one row houses nearby.

Single White Tee looks normal. Not bad habits,

just not compatible with tattoos or hair much better

I Sexy. Cut a simple casual favorite people lets get to it.

Oh, and before anyone comments, yes, I know these don't actually qualify as Haiku :D

Guest jomtien

Online translators Tahi/English still have a long qway to go in my book. I was looking at a few profiles on gayboysiam and they read like somew sort of psychadelic Haiku. Here are a few translations straight from Google translation:

Ramindra boring toilet

three other

great puppet talk

Sukhothai are crazy people

that I talk about silk.

Find intimate past with fraud

Who would buy that ... my heart be lonely

Never to sell services or even purchase

Lose out to eat for gossip

Get a backpack. Find offense only.

Find what is not fun to do together

on a very simple one row houses nearby.

Single White Tee looks normal. Not bad habits,

just not compatible with tattoos or hair much better

I Sexy. Cut a simple casual favorite people lets get to it.

Oh, and before anyone comments, yes, I know these don't actually qualify as Haiku :D

I've dated all those people and they were exactly as advertised.

Guest FanOfThailand

As a visitor I prefer the bars to GR because of the time restraints. The couple of times I have used GR for connections I still met the boy at the bar where he worked so I had the choice to leave with or without him.

A concern I have using GR is a written discussion what I want him to do and how much money I will pay. Isn't prostitution illegal in Thailand?

Doesn't having a written conversation of such transactions bother anyone or is it just me being a little paranoid?

As a visitor I prefer the bars to GR because of the time restraints. The couple of times I have used GR for connections I still met the boy at the bar where he worked so I had the choice to leave with or without him.

I do the same! When I meet a boy on GR, I ask about what he works and where, and if in a bar the bar's name, because this will save a lot of time and hassle. I go to bars anyway, so I pop in to his bar and meet him at work. If I like him, I take him with me, if not, it costs just a drink and a tip and no time wasted with arranging a meeting and waiting. (This arises the question: Why don't I skip GR and go only to the bars? Because I live in Europe!)

Doesn't having a written conversation of such transactions bother anyone or is it just me being a little paranoid?

I think you're being paranoid. Nobody has ever been arrested or otherwise bothered in any way for such "transactions." Also, written record or not, what would it prove? Nothing has happened and no money has exchanged hands. How would anyone know if you even meet the boy at all? Unless you're using your real name on Gay Romeo, then unless the police are hiding and waiting for the person who made the "transaction" to show up, how would they even know who you are?

If you get arrested for having made a "transaction" through Gay Romeo, then as far as I know you would have the dubious distinction of being the first person ever arrested for it.

You just said you go to the gay bars to meet the boy first. When you go to the bars and take a boy off, that's prostitution isn't it? How many people are ever arrested for taking a bar boy off? In the entire history of Thailand's gay bars, I am aware of a grand total of one arrest, ever, when a farang took a boy off, and that boy was under age. Other than that one time, they don't arrest farang for taking a bar boy off even when the boy is under age.

The only time you need to be concerned is if the boy you actually have sex with is under 18 years old.

Many boys advertising themselves are not even looking for money. Also, there are plenty of personals sites besides just Gay Romeo, although Gay Romeo seems to be the most popular.

If it still bothers you, then don't mention money when you're making online arrangements. Now it's not prostitution and not every boy on Gay Romeo is a bar boy in the first place.

Guest lvdkeyes

My practice always has been to end any conversation with anyone who is underage immediately with a comment that I don't chat with underage guys.

My practice always has been to end any conversation with anyone who is underage immediately with a comment that I don't chat with underage guys.

That makes good sense for everybody. I'm talking about when you don't know he is under age until you actually meet and check his ID card. When I meet someone whose age is at all questionable, the first thing I ask for is his ID card. If it isn't his own, or you just can't tell whether it's really his or not, or if he doesn't even have an ID card with him, I go and he stays.

That actually happened to me about a year or so ago. I had been chatting with a boy on Gay Romeo and I was interested in him. He looked too young, but he kept insisting his photos were a year or so old and that he is 18.

When I went to meet him I asked to see his ID card. He was 16! I told him sorry, but forget it. He said, it's ok, "Police not know." I said, "I know! And you also lied to me. Have a nice life." By the time I got home and had a chance to look at Gay Romeo again, he had already removed his Gay Romeo profile and I haven't spotted him online ever since.

That's something you have to be very careful about. Gay Romeo doesn't allow anyone to establish a profile unless they're at least 18 years old, so there are a number of boys out there who simply lie about their age.

He looked too young, but he kept insisting his photos were a year or so old and that he is 18.

That's interesting! On certain websites, there are disclaimers that everyone on photos and in videos was at least 18 years old when the photo or video was taken. I recently came across a comic, even there was a disclaimer that everyone is older than 18 years! I don't know what the rules on gayromeo are, but I would assume that you can't post photos that show you when you were younger than 18 years. At least such a rule would make sense to me.

I don't know what the rules on gayromeo are, but I would assume that you can't post photos that show you when you were younger than 18 years. At least such a rule would make sense to me.

I've noticed a few pic posts on gboysiam where the profile lists the age as young as 15. Some are nude and even show erections. I know that Thais often look younger than their chronological ages, but the pics I've seen don't look like the guys are THAT young. I for one wouldn't take a chance, but if these guys are trying to attract dates, why would they list such young ages? Could it be some sort of sting, or ...?

I for one wouldn't take a chance, but if these guys are trying to attract dates, why would they list such young ages? Could it be some sort of sting, or ...?

Could it be the Thai age of consent is 15 in certain circumstances, therefore if a couple of 15 year old's want to meet each other on the net, why the hell shouldn't they? I would encourage them to enjoy themselves too.

Meanwhile, the rest of us over 18s can stick to meeting other people in the same (over 18) age range.

Could it be some sort of sting, or ...?

I don't know. I also don't want to find out. Again, I urge checking the ID card of any boy of questionable age. I've seen some of those under-age boy ads on Gboysiam too.

I don't know what those boys are looking for, why Gboysiam allows under-age ads, whether a sting is ever involved, or anything else. What I do know is I would not recommend even responding to such ads under any circumstances.

Guest lvdkeyes

One time while I was in the US I was chatting with a Korean guy and we were getting along very well and had arranged for him to come visit me when he came to the US. Then he asked me if he could bring his 6 y/o son. I asked him what his son would think of us sleeping together and him in another bedroom. He said the boy could sleep between us. I told him "NO". He said that the boy could also touch me. I told him he was a sick mutha fucker and not to contact me again and I reported him to the webmaster. Later it occurred to me that maybe he wasn't a sicko, but rather law enforcement trying to see if I would bite. Either way, ending the conversation and reporting him protected me. I did get a reply from the webmaster telling me that he had banned the guy from the site.

I don't know what those boys are looking for, why Gboysiam allows under-age ads, whether a sting is ever involved, or anything else. What I do know is I would not recommend even responding to such ads under any circumstances.

I agree. There is a boy posting on Gay Romeo today in the Pattaya section: "I come from Thailand, I want sex ,I am gay queen.I am young boys. in Profile , I age 19 year , but , now I age 16 year , because , applying for member must age 18+" Raises so many red flags as we say in the U.S. but is this desperation or just adolescent not thinking on the poster's part?

is this desperation or just adolescent not thinking on the poster's part?

You should report that profile to Gay Romeo.

There are many reasons why he may have written that in his profile. It could be just as you said, a dumb kid. It could be he simply is being honest about his age despite breaking the Gay Romeo rules. It could be that he really is 18 or 19, but wants people to think he's 16 if he believes that will attract more attention to himself. Whatever his reason may be, my advice would be don't walk, but run from that profile.