shoebox

Change hotel?

Hey everyone. Visiting Bangkok for the first time for a work trip in late October. Will be staying in Siam area for work - maybe Mercure Bangkok Siam. Will then stay on for 3-4 days of personal pleasure - planning to hit up some of the bars and massage places. As I don't know Bangkok at all, was wondering people's thoughts about whether it was better/easier/more convenient just to stay put in same hotel or better to move closer to the action?

My experience last month 

I stayed in the Tarnatawan 

Not knowing the "action " had moved from across the street I had use a motorbike taxi to that gay street 

Pain in the ass ..but...it depends on what your plans are 

If I'm going to hit that gay street every night I want to be close to the action not relying on Grab 🛵 I want to be able to walk back to the hotel

Next time I will stay closer ,but that's my personal experience yours maybe different 

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

use macaroni's enlightened advice and move  closer to the action. Tons of hotels in the area suiting all budgets and with short walk to sinful sois and no problem with visitors.

My favorite are Le Siam on Convent (across the Silom from soi 4 ), Baan Silom in soi 3 , across the Silom from soi 6 and Raya , across the Suriwong from Moonlight bar .

For more upscale experience you have Crown Plaza, Le Meridien, Pullman G and Amara. For budget options there's Wall Street Inn , Pula Silom  and Nantra Silom. For new and modern Icon Stylus across from Patpong and Quarter Silom  by Tawan (now The One ) bar but this is option only if you like postcard size rooms , twice overpriced IMNSHO.

And if you want more luxurious, the new Dusit Thani will be opening soon!

I'd be interested in  the experiences  of our posters who use 5* hotels....how do  the duty-staff react? I assume with total neutrality, or they should at that price. And the other customers? But most of all the guys themselves. Excited? overwhelmed? expectant of a huge tip? Or merely "cool".

I recall that I was often asked about my hotel when I offed a guy. Tarntawan and Ambiance seemed to receive expressions of satisfaction, perhaps because they were only a short walk away!

But I wonder how the prospect of an assignation in The Oriental or Royal Cliff  would be received?

47 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I'd be interested in  the experiences  of our posters who use 5* hotels....how do  the duty-staff react? I assume with total neutrality, or they should at that price. And the other customers? But most of all the guys themselves. Excited? overwhelmed? expectant of a huge tip? Or merely "cool".

I recall that I was often asked about my hotel when I offed a guy. Tarntawan and Ambiance seemed to receive expressions of satisfaction, perhaps because they were only a short walk away!

But I wonder how the prospect of an assignation in The Oriental or Royal Cliff  would be received?

Now it's much easier to transport guys back to the room (Grab)  than say 15 years ago when I recall paying two motorbike taxi 

The only options (Pattaya) back then were baht buses or expensive taxi 

4 hours ago, jason1975 said:

12,000 baht a night! Wow!

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

As mentioned before, no problem at all at the Le Meridien, even at one in the morning.  Nor in the old Dusit Thani!

That's sad. The old Dusit was my favourite hotel, old Thai 5 star at a reasonable  price. I had a feeling that this may happen.  I suspect that if it is the price, they will not get many takers, and will have to reduce price. Its not as if they are on the river. I get a suite at the Meredien  for 9,000baht

Further to my earlier message, I've just looked at the website for the new Dusit Thani, and even the entry level rooms, ie the cheapest, are very large, 40m². Which is impressive.  

5 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Further to my earlier message, I've just looked at the website for the new Dusit Thani, and even the entry level rooms, ie the cheapest, are very large, 40m². Which is impressive.  

I understand what you are saying as I'm fond of of big rooms too ( floridarob calls me 'room size queen" )  but fortunately for my pocket ones like Raya, Furama Silom , Furama Sathorn XClusive , Quart SalaDaeng or even Baan Silom in soi 3 have similarly or even better sized room for fraction of the price. I understand difference in luxury and overall ambiance but still I rather spend that extra  5000 baht  for the night with prime beef than for  admiring prime view from 37th floor while donning hotel provided silk gown

17 minutes ago, vinapu said:

I understand what you are saying as I'm fond of of big rooms too ( floridarob calls me 'room size queen" )  but fortunately for my pocket ones like Raya, Furama Silom , Furama Sathorn XClusive , Quart SalaDaeng or even Baan Silom in soi 3 have similarly or even better sized room for fraction of the price. I understand difference in luxury and overall ambiance but still I rather spend that extra  5000 baht  for the night with prime beef than for  admiring prime view from 37th floor while donning hotel provided silk gown

Fair point. We all slot in to different levels. I was, and mostly still am, able to afford  the pricier hotels. But I draw the line at the Oriental, US$ 700 a night and up. The hotels still have to be good value!

7 hours ago, Londoner said:

not my area of expertise at all although from time to time I like to splurge on something with more stars to see how better echelons have it. 

Based on Pullman G , Amara & Crown Plaza stays it's exactly as you say, staff maintains neutrality as they should at the price. Can't envision guest paying 9000 for the room being interrogated at the door  about person he is tagging along,  in that person presence specially. I recall shy smile by receptionist at Bayoke Sky when I brought guy dressed in very tatty jeans shorts  but no comments were  made.

Other customers reaction may vary, depending on who they are but those nesting in such hotels may be trained in minding their business. And often expect other guest to do the same.

As for boys reaction, yes some may expect their tip will match room ambience   but also will be some who feel uneasy in such luxuries. The same goes about restaurants with more upscale  clientele (and prices).

I wouldn't advice  to expect boys to be too impressed  by multiple star places since, coming from poor backgrounds,  they may think our money would be better spend on something more worthy i.e. increase in their tip.

22 minutes ago, Keithambrose said:

We all slot in to different levels. I was, and mostly still am, able to afford  the pricier hotels. But I draw the line at the Oriental, US$ 700 a night and up. The hotels still have to be good value!

That's the beauty  of life, we put our unique price tags on various things.

Price notwithstanding, I'm not fan of luxury digs when travel for practical reason   - I noticed to tend to spend more times indoor in better places while in bare bone ones I'd like to  shower, shave, have a tea  and get out.

On another hand I'd rather overpay and be close to main attractions than save money and bed in some remote , yet cheap alley.

Drawing a line is a great idea as on vacations we tend to react more impulsively being generally in good mood. On last trip I got an offer from absolutely stunning guy with personality and English proficiency to match for 10000 overnight. He did not budge and for 3 days I was nursing an idea of succumbing to his charms but since it doubled my line I decided to keep my limits. Not sure I did right thing but I'm sure I did it right- savings on 5 stars thus obtained financed  3 meetings with 4 stars guys.

i Just booked Tarntawan for November, 2000 THB net with b'fast for 2.

It's a solid $50 usd a night hotel in my book ....and with the way hotel prices have been increasing, it's really worth about $75.

I can also stay at the Conrad for about $80 usd (worked for Hilton) and have stayed there before , but the location is awkward and Tarntawan does a good job and the workers all know me and the location is only a short motorbike ride to Soi 4 😛

Yes I stayed at Tartawan last month ,

Booked thru Agoda etc I think  was around 1750 baht per night ,that's without breakfast though