TotallyOz

Please do not reopen very Old Posts

I realize that many are posting for the contest. I should have been more clear in the rules. But, please do not reopen topics older than 3 months unless there is a need to do so. From here on out, if a post is opened that is older than 3 months, a moderator has the right to place it invisible which means it will not count toward the a tally. I apoloigze for this in advance but some very old threads are being revived and while some of the comments are still useful, they have run their course.

Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Guest beachlover

Fair enough... I decided to go through the last couple of months' posts as I only just started posting on this board in the last week or so. I was only bringing up some posts of interest (certainly not every one). Some of them have taken interest again.

But I think I've gone back as far as I want to now...

The problem is not so much the re-opening of old posts, but people looking to reply to any post even when they have nothing interesting to say.

I can't wait for the competition to be over.

The problem is not so much the re-opening of old posts, but people looking to reply to any post even when they have nothing interesting to say.

I have seen some of that. But, for the most part, I have really enjoyed the posts and they are overwhelmingly well-written.

Guest lvdkeyes

Is there a way to lock a thread that has had no activity for, say, three months so that no additional posts can be made, but it can still be viewed? This would certainly stop all this nonsense just to win $500.

Is there a way to lock a thread that has had no activity for, say, three months so that no additional posts can be made, but it can still be viewed? This would certainly stop all this nonsense just to win $500.

This has gotten to be downright hilarious (read: annoying). Hell, I'm thinking of ponying up $500.00 to pay somebody to stop posting!

Guest GaySacGuy

This has gotten to be downright hilarious (read: annoying). Hell, I'm thinking of ponying up $500.00 to pay somebody to stop posting!

I can PM you with a bank account if you are ready to deposit those funds!!! LOL Sorry to be annoying, but the contest is there for the asking!!

Guest beachlover

I will stop posting for a week if you hand over $500 to an individual or organisation of my choice. :D

Actually I don't see much point in holding onto posts that are older than a year. Who is going to read them? While I realize that some people do searches that might include posts that were submitted shorty after the Big Bang, but I would think with rare exceptions all very old posts are doing is taking up drive space.

Actually I don't see much point in holding onto posts that are older than a year. Who is going to read them?

I disagree on this point.

If there was a nice thread on gay bars in Luang Prabang, or some other destination with very little gay information available, then the thread is valuable for anyone planning a trip. So it's useful to keep this.

Where it goes wrong is when people start digging up the old threads in the hope of winning $500. What these competitions need is some element of discretion to exclude low quality posts from the competition.

For next competition it will be great to make button "Thank you" near each post (like Tui's told not so many days ago). And count in qualified posts for competition only posts with 2 (or even 3) "Thank you" clicks...

Then here will be less "Post_About_Nothing"

I disagree on this point.

If there was a nice thread on gay bars in Luang Prabang, or some other destination with very little gay information available, then the thread is valuable for anyone planning a trip. So it's useful to keep this.

Those would be the rare exceptions I'm talking about. The rest is useless.

Actually I don't see much point in holding onto posts that are older than a year. Who is going to read them? While I realize that some people do searches that might include posts that were submitted shorty after the Big Bang, but I would think with rare exceptions all very old posts are doing is taking up drive space.

In my opinion, the point is a history that changes with time. You can see the past and the thoughts of posters and how they stayed the same or changed as time went by. Posts older than a year are just part of that history and I will often go back and find good and useful information there. For you, taking up drive space. For me, a treasure trove. To each his own.

Guest beachlover

Actually, I disagree. Old posts can be a fantastic source of information. Especially with trip reports and reviews. People come to these forums looking for very niche information, perhaps on a certain venue, place or practice. This information might only come up in a post every 1-2 years. For example Fountainhall's review of the hot springs frequented by gay guys near Taipei.

Those would be the rare exceptions I'm talking about. The rest is useless.

The content also draws a lot of search engine traffic. If you delete it, new traffic to the board falls and so do new memberships... This is one of Sawatdee Gay Thailand's biggest strengths... probably why it continues to survive despite the post-apocalyptic feeling.

Also, existing members often go back and search for posts they remember, which contain information, which is relevant now that they are making a trip to a certain place.

The content also draws a lot of search engine traffic. If you delete it, new traffic to the board falls and so do new memberships... This is one of Sawatdee Gay Thailand's biggest strengths... probably why it continues to survive despite the post-apocalyptic feeling.

You are totally correct and hit the nail on the head!