Guest beachlover

Full Moon Party - Any gay boys go there?

Guest beachlover

Has anyone here been to the Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan?

Do any/many gay boys go there? Are there any bars of sections of the beach where gays generally congregate?

Full Moon Parties are a western invention - Australian?? Only used by businesses to draw western tourist.

There are some Asian holidays that relate to the moon but they are unrelated to a beer drinking night.

Guest beachlover

Yes, I'm well aware FMPs have nothing to do with any religion. It started as a backpacker thing... backpackers noticed the full moon is especially BIG when you are standing on that beach.

Nothing wrong with it making money for the business... they supply the music, DJs and drinks after all.

I guess it's probably there won't be any gay Thai boys who go there but are there any gay guys from other Asian countries there? Any particular spots (it's a big party) they gather?

Just wondering... because otherwise I'll be a pretty straight night for me and I get enough straight nights hanging out with my straight mates at home LOL.

as above-josan

No, no specific areas, at least I never ever have heard of them. FMP is not invented by OZzies-but by money-thinking Thai, who gradually shifted from other addictions to booze and buckets of mixed alcoholic drinks-and VERY loud music-take double earplugs.

among young gays/from Europe, thailand has no real fascination (other as the country itself)-the common idea seems to be that there is only paid sex-and they feel to big for that (no- you do not have to tell us this is false- just try to explain them).

BTW; besdie FMP there are also Half MP and Black MPs-a little less known and visited.

At FMP term all accomodation is hopelessly fully booked out.

Guest Astrrro

Many ladyboys come over from Samui to the FMP in HadRin.

Half Moon Party in the jungle in Ban Tai has no gay presence but a good party if you are a young raver.

Same same for the Black Moon party on the beach in Ban Tai.

Guest beachlover

Hundreds of gay guys from many ASian countries attend the full moon parties. Not sure if there are any dedicated gay areas, but since many guys go in groups, they tend to gravitate towards each other during the night. Don't worry. You'll have a blast.

Cool... Thanks. Guess I'll just have to go and see. Nice to know there's a good chance of meeting gay guys from other Asian countries.

At FMP term all accomodation is hopelessly fully booked out.

Yeah and it looks like if you want to stay on Koh Phangan during the FMP it looks like most places have a 4-night minimum. I would just like to stay 1-2 nights to avoid the long lines of people trying to leave the island immediately after the party. This leads to overloading, speeding and other dangerous practices. Rather sleep it off comfortably and leave 1-2 days later when the speed boats are calm again.

Guest Prakanong

Know its been a few years, but did you go? Met other gay guys at the party?

I think you're better off asking this question on Lonely Planet, Trip Advisor or Gay.com.  I went to one five years ago and there was definitely a strong gay presence.  I wanted to see what it was all about but I didn't stay on the beach for very long as I felt the style of the "party" was not for me.  There's no solid way of knowing but judging from the posts on this board, there are not many members below 35 and the full-moon party is largely a young person's thing.  I was 30 when I went.

I went when I was 38'and had a blast so don't let the number of your age ( whatever that may be) restrict you, it is of course a younger persons thing in general but the hats not to say you can't have a damned good time if you're yo for it.

I stayed in one of the beach bungalows in the Tommy resort which is right slap bang in the middle of the action and myself ( travelling alone by choice) and several of the other bungalow renters all shared our raised balcony and had s great shared time and party as there ended up about 20 of us all up going for it all night ( partying that is :-))

Actually being that bit older and wiser was useful as I was able to keep a wiser head of my shoulders than I would have at 25 and was able to sit and watch the drug deals bury their pills under our balcony so if they were arrested it wouldn't be with large amounts on them ( or party ended up negotiating excellent rates of purchase for turning a blind eye I seem to recall !). I also was able to be aware of the dealers and the police working hand in hand to both sell dope or pills to younger people, then the police arrest them 3 minutes later after being given the nod by the dealers that the deal had been done, for the police to them start their negotiations with shit scared youngsters who thought their lives were over after getting caught, for the drugs to be handed back to the dealer 30 seconds later again so the process could start all over again in the next unsuspecting young victim.

Or my siting oitside a bar having a beer and a joint ( bought there) and the waiter saying "yes it ok you can smoke here, no poblem" for me to do so and other customers sitting two feet away from me in the bar next door to me to then do the same after hearing this only for the police to rush in and arrest THEM but not me as it transpired my bar ( in hindsight) has obviously been paying enough tea money where theirs obviously wasn't - again they were back an hour later having been relieved of a ridiculously large sum of money which I can't recall now - maybe 20,000 baht ??

Likewise back on our balcony one of the girls whid joined us (who was being s real drama queen and everyone depised) fell back off the balcony ( about 5 feet into the sand just) - she wasn't injured but made a real scene and the next thing we knew there was a ambulance ANDY a FULL TV CREW! complete with bright lights - which considering the fucked state everyone was in that was the last thung anyone wanted on camera so there's was a mass hiding round corners until they left with her - and little did we know that whole incident has been broadcast many times now as part of that Big trouble in Thailand series and every time I see it it brings back a smile to my face :-)

So yes go, age is just s number and I had a blast, once was enough probably but I'd definitely recommend it is you enjoy partying and living a little crazy - oh but I didn't one "gay" thing or person the whole week I was there and trust me I looked ! One random gay massage guy working in a normal straight massage place I think was it now that I remember but certainly no "scene" as such, not that that mattered mind as I'd still a great time :-)

Guest FatRichard

Actually being that bit older and wiser was useful as I was able to keep a wiser head of my shoulders than I would have at 25 and was able to sit and watch the drug deals bury their pills under our balcony so if they were arrested it wouldn't be with large amounts on them ( or party ended up negotiating excellent rates of purchase for turning a blind eye I seem to recall !). I also was able to be aware of the dealers and the police working hand in hand to both sell dope or pills to younger people, then the police arrest them 3 minutes later after being given the nod by the dealers that the deal had been done, for the police to them start their negotiations with shit scared youngsters who thought their lives were over after getting caught, for the drugs to be handed back to the dealer 30 seconds later again so the process could start all over again in the next unsuspecting young victim.

So the police do conduct random raids and arrests during these full-moon parties.  Some pretty risky behavior described here and young or old, I wouldn't want to mess with the "boys in brown".  If they want to entrap and blackmail you, I doubt you could put up much of a coherent defence being drunk/stoned/high etc.  It seems to be suggested here that the police are more likely to target the young (because of their naivete?) but young or old, what's to stop them from proceeding with the charges if you refuse to cough up the money especially if the drugs were found on you and/or you test positive for drugs? When in Thailand - where I have less than zero rights as a foreigner - I'd like to stay clear of the BIB, thank you.  Plenty of fun to be had without getting high/stoned and running foul of the law and drug peddlars.

Guest abang1961

I did managed to visit Ko Samui and therefore, Koh Phangan some years back.

The visit to Ko Samui was planned but not Koh Phangan.

I met a wonderul Dutch guy and since he was so good to me (in and out of the bedroom), I've decided to accompany him.

Strange things do happen.

There was at least 5000 people gathering at the beach and boy, if you are like me, an Anglophile, you will have a feast for the eyes.. Almost everyone is shirtless, piss-drunk and doped.  My Dutch judour and I had oral sex at the beach, oblivious to the crowd around.... just things get too intimate and we had to leave.  We continued our passionate love-making for hours to come.... that was before the advent of the blue pill...

What can I say.... do it once and you may come back for more...

Some pretty risky behavior described here .........I'd like to stay clear of the BIB, thank you. Plenty of fun to be had without getting high/stoned and running foul of the law and drug peddlars.

You do just that then as the last time I checked it wasn't compulsory.

:-) ha no what do YOU mean only ?? As if I'm talking to someone who's 60 or 70 then I'm "only" 46 - and anyway age is just a number so even when I'm 80 I intend to "only" be 80 :-)

for some reason I remember that day when I was 9  and my mother 32 and this was even before Harold Wilson became Prime Minister. She seemed so ancient and  ever since to this day I consider   everybody over that age old .

This approach has advantages - any boy over 32 I consider almost my age, whaever his is. 

Guest LoveThailand

I am 54 and in good shape, but outside of Thailand I do feel invisible at most gay places. One of atrratction of visiting is that an older farang could feel a bit more desired (even though realistically it may be coming from the commercial reasons - I entertain an idea though that not 100%). So if given a chance I'd venture to the Full Moon Party in Thainland but not to a White Party in Miami.

a) firstly apologies for the many typos above, I hammered that out on my phone and did go back in to correct on my mac but too much time had passed it seems - sorry, but I'm sure you got the gist 

No need to apologize. One of the few coherent, informative and easy to read post you have written, and I didn't even spot a typo (but I wasn't looking). Thanks for the warnings (smoking, drugs - not that I need to be warned of these things, I mean the involvement of the police).

I haven't been to Full Moon party, it's not exactly my area of interest (I don't drink, smoke, sing or dance), but if all stars align I might go some day.

Regarding gay activities, there was an advert in Thai recently on a gay chatroom in camfrog, about a tour to Full Moon Party (sorry, didn't read the details).

Guest ButterballBruce

No need to apologize. One of the few coherent, informative and easy to read post you have written, and I didn't even spot a typo (but I wasn't looking).

With a compliment like that, who needs insults!

Don't worry Bruce, if I was ever to find myself taking offence from Aspergers boy then I know I'd really reached rock bottom. :-)

You keep posting away there Christian as your condition driven posts amuse / interest many, but maybe just not in the way you think perhaps - but hey that's ok as sure you probably can't tell the difference in people's reactions to them or to you for that matter anyway and you can't work out why they might even think that either they or you are a little "strange" in the first place !

They say every cloud has a silver lining eh. ;-)