TotallyOz

Do you Lend money to Bar Boys?

I have a boy I have known for a long time approach me tonight and ask me to borrow 3k baht to pay rent. I have been with him on many occasions and always enjoyed his company. I know he does not have a steady Farang. He is also someone that has never asked me for a tip or to borrow anything. I have a policy never to lend money to friends. However, this was a sex partner and I wasn't sure what to say when he asked. I asked him to think about it. The more I thought about it the more I thought it was not a big deal for me as I was going to see him 2 times this week anyway and I told him I would advance him the money from our next 2 short times. He said that was good and appreciated the money.

I don't know if he will take a runner and disappear or not but I highly doubt it. Even if he does, I didn't think the money was going to hurt me in the long run and it is someone I would have given money to this week anyway.

Have you ever let a bar boy borrow money? If so, was it paid back? Or, did you just expect that it was giving them money?

Have you ever let a bar boy borrow money? If so, was it paid back? Or, did you just expect that it was giving them money?

Yes, have lent money to bar boys and No, it was not paid back. But I did not expect it back otherwise I would not have "lent" it to them in the first place.

My own policy is to never lend money to anyone. If I can afford it, I prefer to give them the money and I tell them it is a gift. For me, this avoids worrying about its return and preserves relationships.

Guest xiandarkthorne

My own policy is to never lend money to anyone. If I can afford it, I prefer to give them the money and I tell them it is a gift. For me, this avoids worrying about its return and preserves relationships.

While I would lend money to old friends, I would rather give the money to Thai boys when I can afford it, too. I have only done that twice in my life and didn't regret it either time.

Yes, I have lent money to bar boys with the full expectation that I will not be repaid. However, I only will do this one time with each boy unless I am paid back. I guess it is the same with friends. I will lend a friend money with the same expectation that I will not be paid back. The bar boys and any friends who do not pay me back can expect to remain on good terms with me, unless they ask for more money. If I am not paid back once I do draw the line on a second time.

Guest lvdkeyes

The problem with lending money to friends is that if they don't pay you back you have not only lost the money, but you have also lost the friend.

Guest beachlover

Enough family members asking to borrow money... Thank goodness I don't have money boys asking too. :p

I've never lent to friends, only family. But I don't lend out what I can't afford to lose. I try to manage the loan fairly and do my best to ensure it doesn't affect the relationship (part of this is to not lend an amount you're not prepared to lose). With the person, I have an agreement on when/how it will be repaid but in my mind, I do not plan to get the money back within a certain time frame since I know repayments are not always reliable. When they are reliable it's a bonus.

Most important thing is to maintain the relationship. But this just won't happen if he/she has trouble repaying the loan and you are anxious to get the money back... it clouds every interaction.

If the money is critical to you and you know you will be anxious to get it back, then don't lend it unless it's a really dire situation or you are prepared to risk losing the relationship or friendship.