TotallyOz

Facebook Games

Does anyone play the games on Facebook? Thomas from the Corner Bar got me addicted to them about a week ago and I have been obsessed with them ever since. They are fun to play but for those of us that have little self control, it is easy to spend real money to get upgrades to different things faster. I always wondered how games like Farmville was able to make money. Now I know.

Millionaire City is a Digital Chocolate game that the guys at Corner Bar recommended. Here is the city I have built. Anyone else have cities? Farms? Islands? Other gaming experiences?

MillionaireCity.jpg

Guest xiandarkthorne

I am sorry to say that I find this kind of post in this particular forum extremely offensive. Isn't it enough that people who play computer games at Facebook already solicit such game material from each other, now they have to do it here as well? No wonder so many people, including me, seldom post much here any more.

I am sorry to say that I find this kind of post in this particular forum extremely offensive.

For Christ's sake, Xian, if reading a post like this is "extremely offensive" to you or even mildy ruins your day, you need to mellow out bigtime. And if somebody doesn't post on a board because one post like this shows up on that board, I'm doubtful their absence will be noticed much.

P.S. I personally have no use whatsoever for Facebook or any computer games and, while a post like this is uninteresting to me, it's not "offensive" (let alone "extremely offensive") at all to me.

I am sorry to say that I find this kind of post in this particular forum extremely offensive. Isn't it enough that people who play computer games at Facebook already solicit such game material from each other, now they have to do it here as well? No wonder so many people, including me, seldom post much here any more.

Perhaps if you re-read my post you would post here more. hehe

There was no soliciting of anything. I did not ask you or anyone to play the game with me. In fact, you can't be solicited if there is nothing to offer. I don't want to play the game with you or with others here. I was only asking a question. A solicitation this was NOT. If it was a solicitation, I have have said: friend me on Facebook if you want to play. I didn't. I wouldn't. It is not my desire and hopefully not the way my post came across. If it was, then I apologize.

If that is what stopped you from posting much here, well, welcome back! We are thrilled you have returned!

Guest fountainhall

At the urging of several friends I finally joined facebook today - and was immediately horrified. On the registration, it asks for details of your school and university. No sooner than i had completed the formalities, that I was told there are dozens of people from school and university that want to be friends with me. That took all of 5 seconds, and Hell, we were't even friends on those days! No way do I want them as friends now. So I need to find a way to get rid of them so I can get my real friends hooked up.

No wonder so many people, including me, seldom post much here any more.

Hope you come back, Xian. Your observations were always fascinating.

Guest anonone

No sooner than i had completed the formalities, that I was told there are dozens of people from school and university that want to be friends with me. That took all of 5 seconds, and Hell, we were't even friends on those days! No way do I want them as friends now.

I feel exactly the same way. Haven't logged onto Facebook since the week I set it up. Mostly drivel from people I don't really care about anyway.

Facebook? :ninja:

Forgive my ignorance, but is this site worth visiting?

I know it's quite popular, but just visited it for the first time whist writing this post.

The home page is not so friendly. Do they have anything I might want?

Guest xiandarkthorne

My apologies to Micheal and the other gentlemen if I over-reacted.

I do have a Facebook account that I have found useful for making friends and getting information about things that might take me a long time to find out even on the internet. I also post pictures of myself on my account.

Z909 Many people find Facebook very usefull and it is now valued at 50,000,000,000 (fifty billion) dollars. I am with Foutainhall and anonone in saying that I did not get much value out of it.

Xian, I've missed you and I am glad your are back. Hope the workout and diet are still working. Is that you reclining in your avatar? If so, you do look good.

I set up a Facebook account or whatever last year, thinking it was a good way to keep up with friends and relatives. I never really got used to it and was most puzzled by all those requests by people I hardly knew (and kids and friends of those same people I hardly knew) to make them a "Facebook Friend" or whatever the jargon happens be. I didn't want to expand the list but I also didn't know if a rejection conveyed something unpleasant to the requester. Eventually, I settled on just not answering any or most of those requests.

After a few months of the Facebook thing, I started getting feedback - again, from people I hardly knew, some I wouldn't even recognize in person - that I didn't like [it wasn't unpleasant feedback, just inquiries and comments by people that didn't know me at all (or hardly at all) and people who I had no desire to either respond to or to be aware of the comments made on the "wall" (if that's what it's called) between good acquaintenances]. Ultimately,in April of last year, I decided the negatives outweighed the benefits and cancelled the account (apparently you can't cancel it, you just hide the account away somewhere and it's always available for revival).

Then the bigger trouble began. In May, some wierd messages came indicating there were some Facebood messages floating around. I reactivated the site and cancelled it again. Then, in mid-summer, I got a stream of messages and emails from a lot of friends/relatives asking me why I was touting some Iphone App with my Facebook messages to them. Somebody, somewhere, had hacked into my deactivated account and sent Facebook messages (spam) to everyone that was on my Wall and everyone that was in the reserved (private message?) part of Facebook. I attempted to contact Facebook but that proved to be impossible (after a lot of time, I found through other sites an email address for their tech support but never got a response to any email I sent).

So, to solve the problem (so far, at least), I reactivated the site, deleted everything on the Wall and in the private space, changed the password to a huge series of letters and numbers, and deactivated it again. Haven't heard a thing since and I hope it's dead as a doornail (in spite of getting annoying emails on occasion from Facebook that I can reactivate any time I want). I wish they'd leave me alone (but I can't seem to reach them to tell them to FO!).

I find this fascinating. I never used Facebook until a few years ago and it was when I was at a spa in USA for a bit and all the college kids there wanted to "friend" me. I saw no use for this but I joined anyway. I am glad I did. I have been able to find several hundred people I knew from high school, college, grad school, law school, photography school, etc and I have been able to keep in touch with people I care about.

The hard thing is to keep your info private. I have the highest privacy on my account and I do not allow friends that I don't know. I never say Yes to a request that I don't know the person and check their profile to make sure that it is the same person. I have around 300 friends on my personal account and I have denied over 1,000 requests. I will give facebook credit. They listen to customers. Like many, I got pissy when I got so many requests from people I don't know. They now do not allow anyone to have a great deal of requests in one day and if they find you don't know the person, they will deactivate your account for a few days. It is not perfect, but it has cut down a great deal on BS.

Oh, too many complains about FB :)

Gent, FB is just tool... VERY powerful and modern tool. Setup your privacy accurately and you will not have headache in future.

Even with simple tool like a knife anyone can kill or cook. FB is very complicated multilevel and multidimensional social network. I use it for fun and for business long time already and am very satisfied with possibilities, horizons and perspectives which are offered to all us by FB for communication, fun and business.

First generation was web-boards, second - forums, third - blogs and splogs. Now we have next one - social network.

IMHO: people now parted in two section: who use Facebook (and other soc.net.) and who will use it in future.

Guest xiandarkthorne

Z909 Many people find Facebook very usefull and it is now valued at 50,000,000,000 (fifty billion) dollars. I am with Foutainhall and anonone in saying that I did not get much value out of it.

Xian, I've missed you and I am glad your are back. Hope the workout and diet are still working. Is that you reclining in your avatar? If so, you do look good.

Hi Khortose, Thank you for saying such kind things to me. I never went away - I checked in here regularly to read the posts even if I hadn't been posting much myself. And yes, that is me in my avatar. here's the original. It was a lucky shot - I certainly never imagined I'd look like that. And while I am quite good with Photoshop, I have never altered any of my pictures to make myself look younger or slimmer when I posted them on my blog. That would defeat the whole purpose of keeping a record of my struggles to lose weight and look good, wouldn't it? I did get rid of the background with Photoshop in my picture however - it showed my very untidy living room. So to be honest, I posted a much less complimentary picture of myself there to accompany this one.

I also post my monthly pictures at Facebook, including this one and its companion full-frontal fat one. I try not to fib about anything in any way since I have always believed that half a truth is deadlier than a whole lie.

post-5861-092165500 1294420795_thumb.jpg

I try not to fib about anything in any way since I have always believed that half a truth is deadlier than a whole lie.

I know, from posting history, that you make an effort to stay in shape and that's really admirable. Although I'm not in terrible shape, I just can't get into the exercise routine. Maybe someday and then maybe I'd have the balls (and body) to post a photo of myself. Not likely!

Speaking of 6-packs, just last night Khun Khortose and I were admiring the slim and muscled torso of the handsome Thai dude on page 15 of the new Out magazine (recommended reading/viewing). When confronted by our Thai companions as to why we don't look like that, we simply had to explain that we only have one-packs (albeit, a bit larger than any of the model's six). What the hell, our elbows seem to be in pretty decent shape!

I also noticed that. Must look into this to see if that is a reasonable or a totally irrational valuation.

Guest fountainhall

It seems that Facebook is about to give new meaning to that well-worm phrase: "Apres moi, le deluge," allegedly coined in the 18th century by King Louis XV of France.

In an article in today’s L A Times, privacy watchdogs are “aghast” at the level of intrusion into personal lives by Facebook’s owners. As the writer says, “for Facebook users, the free ride is over.”

All that personal information which users happily upload on to their pages provides a vast number of clues about personal interests and lifestyles. What better way to entice advertisers than putting all those clues together and tailoring ads for specific target groups?

Facebook doesn't have to guess who its users are or what they like. Facebook knows, because members volunteer this information freely — and frequently — in their profiles, status updates, wall posts, messages and "likes."

It's now tracking this activity, shooting online ads to users based on their demographics, interests, even what they say to friends on the site — sometimes within minutes of them typing a key word or phrase . . .

Marketers have been tracking consumers' online habits for years, compiling detailed dossiers of where they click and roam. But Facebook's unique trove of consumer behavior could transform it into one of the most powerful marketing tools ever invented, some analysts believe. And that could translate into a financial bonanza for investors in the 7-year-old company as it prepares for a public offering, perhaps as soon as next year.

But privacy watchdogs say Facebook's unique ability to mine data and sell advertising based on what its members voluntarily share amounts to electronic eavesdropping on personal updates, posts and messages that many users intended to share only with friends.

"Facebook has perfected a stealth digital surveillance apparatus that tracks, analyzes and then acts on your information, including what you tell your friends," said Jeffrey Chester, executive director of the Center for Digital Democracy. "Facebook users should be cautious about whether the social networking giant ultimately has their best interests at heart."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-facebook-ads-20110417,0,1887797.story

I guess I’m one of the few without a Facebook page, and I'm amazed at friends who have several. As mentioned in an earlier post, I did succumb and join up a few months back, thinking it might be a way of keeping in touch with friends and let them see photos of my travels. Never having signed up before, I naively followed the instructions. I put in my old school, my university and some of the companies I had worked for. Within moments the deluge had started. Messages from seemingly hundreds of people I never recall even knowing in my youth who all of a sudden wanted to know me. Even those I actively disliked wanted me as some sort of ‘friend’. It was weird.

In the end, I realised I had made a huge mistake by following instructions to the letter. I quickly cancelled the account and have never signed up again. With the prospect of some electronic wizards going through my details and sending me all manner of ads from a vast number of companies wanting my cash, I’m really quite glad not to be in Mr. Zukerberg’s particular rat race. (I enjoyed the movie, though!)

When opening an account, you have to take into account that all the data will be collected (and used against you). Nonetheless, I find facebook quite useful to stay in contact with friends. After registering, there was a gap where I barely used it, but after a few months I got quite hooked and now I'm back to normal (i.e. checking about twice a week).

I got friends with acquaintances from Thailand (if only these invitations to farmville would stop!) and it's quite interesting to check out friend's friends on facebook: cute gay Thai boys have cute gay Thai boys as friends! Found some nice pictures.

While I was studying in England, I went to a disco for international students, and there were some stunning from China. Via facebook, I found their profiles (they were tagged in photos from friend's friends), and had access to plenty of photos.

Guest Astrrro

I have a very small private Facebook account with friends I've known all my life. I login rarely and friends just accept that i'm not a FB kinda guy.

And another one for Thai friends.

And never the twain shall meet.

Cityville can be a relaxing pastime but it can easily turn into a huge timewaster and an obsession.

Zynga, the company that created Cityville, Farmville etc. will probably have an IPO soon, woth gazzilions.