Guest ArNolD

Drinking Age to be 18

Well, I'm glad that's settled.

As if I believed the trash posted on this board, unlinked to actual Bangkok Post articles, that it would be otherwise, by other posters famous for some pretty bad fiction on visa runs, etc.

and it's not from the BBC

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/10/18...es_30016520.php

Age to buy alcohol should be 18 : Health Ministry

The Public Health Ministry backed down Wednesday on its proposal to raise the minimum age to buy alcohol from 18 to 25 years old.

It is now highly likely the ministry will stick to the current age of 18 years old.

The movement came after the proposal in form of a new bill of alcohol consumption control was rejected by the Cabinet on Tuesday, saying the proposal would not work in practice.

"Personally, I didn't agree [to extend the legal age to buy alcohol to 25] in the first place," said Dr Thawat Suntrajarn, the director general of the Disease Control Department.

"Since people of age 18 are eligible to vote, they should be mature enough to think for themselves on anything else," said the doctor.

"We want it to be a practical directive, not just a piece of paper."

The ministry's panel setup to look into the matter was to meet with other organisations involved at Government House on Tuesday to finalise the proposal before resubmitting it to the Cabinet again within the next two weeks.

It was very likely to revert to the 18 year-old minimum age as in the current law, Thawat said

There were always two ideas throughout the drafting and public hearings on this bill, said Thawat. One wanted the minimum age to remain at 18, whereas the other went for 25.

The side supporting to extend the legal age to 25 reasoned that many accidents involving alcohol were found in people studying at undergraduate level, said Thawat.

The existing age to go into a bar, at present according to the Police is 20 years old. Perhaps it should be the same as the age to buy alcohol in a shop. There I go looking for logic again.

The existing age to go into a bar, at present according to the Police is 20 years old. Perhaps it should be the same as the age to buy alcohol in a shop. There I go looking for logic again.

My doctor friend here in Pattaya thought the raise in age to 25 was crazy. He suggested that they also make a law that limits Farangs to one visit to McDonalds per visit to the Kingdom. Again not easy to enforce but healthy. :)

It's curious that a guy can work in a go-go bar from the age of 18 but it's illegal for him to drink there until he is 20. Also he should not be allowed into the bar unless he is working.

A good excuse for not buying a bar boy ar drink?

A good excuse for not buying a bar boy ar drink?

Not really. You'll notice that when most bar boys order a drink that a "farang" buys for him, it's almost always a soft drink. The bars usually tip him 20 baht for each soft drink he orders, if a "farang" is buying. He gets nothing for beer or other liquor. The reason for that was once explained to me, but to tell the truth I forgot what the explanation was.

Guest pete1969

GB, a soft drink cost only a few baht to the bar, but they charge the same as a beer or mixed drink. The beer or mixed drink costs the bar more. Therefore the bar makes more profit and can afford the 20 baht commission on soft drinks.

Pete

GB, a soft drink cost only a few baht to the bar, but they charge the same as a beer or mixed drink. The beer or mixed drink costs the bar more. Therefore the bar makes more profit and can afford the 20 baht commission on soft drinks.

Pete

Pete, there you go using Western logic again. :)

You are right. There are now many bars that also charge 20 baht more for a boys drink than ours. I am OK with this As LONG As the boy gets that money. I am also OK with paying a higher off for some bars if the boys get some of that as well.

Regardless of what we think, these guys have a hard job and deserve every baht they get. I am thrilled when I know a bar is taking car of them.