Nikom

Pattaya Hotels???

I cannot answer your first question, but I've stayed at Baan Dok Mai & The Ambiance, although the latter was 5 years ago. There's a significant difference in price, which is justified.

Baan Dok Mai is comfortable budget accommodation, with slightly worn look, but importantly it is cleaned properly.

The Ambiance had a much nicer bathroom & was very well maintained, 5 years ago.

I would consider staying at both again.

Regarding The Ambiance or Le Café Royale, I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending one over the other. In my opinion you won't go wrong with either of them. They're both about the same and they're directly across from each other. If you go out the door of one, walk about ten steps and you're entering the other. I understand, however, that The Ambiance has been trying to attract a more heterosexual crowd lately. Just why they would want to do that in the middle of one of the world's most gay areas goes beyond me. Nevertheless that's what I was told. I have not heard anything similar about Le Café Royale, but both are still equally good choices. As far as I know, The Ambiance is still as gay as ever. If it's true they're trying to attract the heterosexual crowd, that doesn't mean they're getting the heterosexual crowd.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions.

Funny about how we humans react to events. I checked out Copa but rejected it for a different reason. Twice in the past my Bangkok boyfriend and i stopped in there to see the show downstairs but were not treated properly. It seems they want you to take one of their boys, not bring your own. What I did not understand is why they thought that we two would not take a third?

I would not be surprised if The Ambiance is trying to attract the heterosexual crowd. I have no problem with that. At the now closed Howards often staright Thai boys brought their girl friends there.

Thanks again!

Regarding The Ambiance or Le Café Royale, I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending one over the other. In my opinion you won't go wrong with either of them. I understand, however, that The Ambiance has been trying to attract a more heterosexual crowd lately. Just why they would want to do that in the middle of one of the world's most gay areas goes beyond me.

Adding my 2 cents/bhat. I have been looking for hotels for a November trip. surprisingly, Booking.com gives Ban Dok Mai 3 stars vs. only 2 for Cafe Royale, Ambience & Copa. Read some bad reviews about service and cleanliness at C-R, service at Copa and Ambience. All 3 plus BDM offer 10% Utopia discount. I haven't seen anything in this thread about Don Plaza or Marina Inn. DP gets the highest rating on several travel sites, and is about 150 bht/night more expensive.

In the past I always staid at Mike Hotel around the corner from Boyztown. Front desk closely checked ID's of my "guests" and saved me from making a mistake on several occasions. But they've apparentlty undergone a major renovations and rates are now on par with Marriott etc.

Anyone can offer thoughts on Don Plaza or Marina compared to the others?

I ended up staying at The Ambiance. A good choice. They now do an ID check of all your guests, a feature that I like. Everyone was friendly including the guys in the restaurant, and the place was clean. Gave the cleaning woman a nice tip at the beginning of my stay and told her I needed three or four towels daily. She took good care of me!

During my two week stay I only saw one heterosexual couple.

Guest fountainhall

Gave the cleaning woman a nice tip at the beginning of my stay

Good move! Most people tend to give out tips at the end of a stay. Doing so at the start almost always ensures the best service.

Good move! Most people tend to give out tips at the end of a stay. Doing so at the start almost always ensures the best service.

I agree. I always tip daily and this gets us great service and also a good reputation at the hotel. And, IMHO, housekeepers are the most important people in the hotel. They are in your room daily and the ability to make your stay even better than it most likely will be in Thailand or anywhere.

Considering Baan Dok Mai is not a Boys town Guest House, I have sent quite a few friends there and they have been very happy, then moved onto any of the below>:-

I have stayed with Dusit hotels for 12 years running in the past The Dusit in Pattaya was amazing not a fabulous Hotel as you would expect from a 5 star but nice atmosphere and great staff, many gay, we use to bring guys back nightly and not an staff eye flickered, in the evening and night the gay staff we use to have great fun with them, and I know one of the owners is gay but in Bangkok where it also was good fun, they had so much trouble from katois they stopped you bring in joiners unless you paid or had them on your room booking as the second person, after all it is their flag ship hotel so they don’t need any dramas if they can help it. I use to get a special deal for with the Dusit Resort in those days I thought I was getting a real bargain. 4000 a night. those were the days

http://www.dusit.com/dusit-thani/en/dus ... ttaya.html

Alternatively if your going to pay 5 star prices with is the price of a normal Hotel in London, much of the time try View Taly Villas they have a wonderful choice from 4000 a night the price http://www.atsiam.com/en/hotels/pattaya ... ailand.asp

But if I was you I would book into the all new gay Baan Souy resort Pattaya, its an amazing place to stay and has everything you could wish for, with my favorite Pattaya restaurant next door Mata Hari and great deals, nearly double that, but this is the low season and your I have stayed with Dusit hotels for 12 years running in the past The Dusit in Pattaya was amazing not a fabulous Hotel as you would expect from a 5 star but nice atmosphere and great staff, many gay, we use to bring guys back nightly and not an staff eye flickered, in the evening and night the gay staff we use to have great fun with them, and I know one of the owners is gay but in Bangkok where it also was good fun, they had so much trouble from katois they stopped you bring in joiners unless you paid or had them on your room booking as the second person, after all it is their flag ship hotel so they don’t need any dramas if they can help it. I use to get a special deal for with the Dusit Resort in those days I thought I was getting a real bargain. 4000 a night. those were the days

http://www.dusit.com/dusit-thani/en/dus ... ttaya.html

Alternatively if your going to pay 5 star prices with is the price of a normal Hotel in London, much of the time try View Taly Villas they have a wonderful choice from 4000 a night the price http://www.atsiam.com/en/hotels/pattaya ... ailand.asp

But if I was you I would book into the all new gay Baan Souy resort Pattaya, its an amazing place to stay and has everything you could wish for, with my favorite Pattaya restaurant next door Mata Hari and great deals, nearly double that, but this is the low season and your be so happy you stayed here. I send many friends to the ‘Bann Souy’ and they love it, and are getting rooms from 1500 a night of course advertized rooms can be nearly double that, but this is the low season and your be so happy you stayed here. Just don’t forget to ask for discounts. and promotions. This is Thailand everything’s for sale.

http://www.baansouyresort.com/

http://www.mataharirestaurant.com/?p=index

I would not stay at the Royal Cliff Hotel its so far from anything there your feel so isolated, I stayed in the Royal Wing in the day they had Nouvel Cuisine on the menu, If I can remember right we paid a fortune for what could have been a painting on a plate, then went out for a Hamburger, I’m sure its better now I do love the Grill Rooms there and the Saturday Buffet, I was at the other week was also good, so take your choice and Enjoy, no matter where you stay your have a great time and the boys will help to keep you happy in the mean time.

Lastly If you don’t mind not having a swimming pool, but want to be in the middle of everything, I would try Mosiak Apartments , even though they are building new luxury Apartments in Jomtien soon, with a pool, but that’s for the future, it has lovely apartments from 11000 baht a month to penthouse 64000 a month. Amazing value.

http://www.mosaikpattaya.net/be so happy you stayed here. I send many friends to the ‘Bann Souy’ and they love it, and are getting rooms from 1500 a night of course advertized rooms can be nearly double that, but this is the low season and your be so happy you stayed here. Just don’t forget to ask for discounts. and promotions. This is Thailand everything’s for sale.

http://www.baansouyresort.com/

http://www.mataharirestaurant.com/?p=index

I would not stay at the Royal Cliff Hotel its so far from anything there your feel so isolated, I stayed in the Royal Wing in the day they had Nouvel Cuisine on the menu, If I can remember right we paid a fortune for what could have been a painting on a plate, then went out for a Hamburger, I’m sure its better now I do love the Grill Rooms there and the Saturday Buffet, I was at the other week was also good, so take your choice and Enjoy, no matter where you stay your have a great time and the boys will help to keep you happy in the mean time.

Lastly If you don’t mind not having a swimming pool, but want to be in the middle of everything, I would try Mosiak Apartments , even though they are building new luxury Apartments in Jomtien soon, with a pool, but that’s for the future, it has lovely apartments from 11000 baht a month to penthouse 64000 a month. Amazing value.

http://www.mosaikpattaya.net/