kokopelli

Motorbike-Trike

Has anyone seen any trikes in Thailand similar to the image posted here?

In the US many of the older bikers are trading in their two wheels for three wheels; it seems that might be an alternative for me if I ever go for a motorized vehicle. Of course the bikers in the US are giving up 1000lb Harleys for an even larger Harley trike but it is easier to keep upright when stopped.

post-9743-0-07452400-1347845460_thumb.jpg

No, I have not, but would not suggest such a move. A regular two wheeled bike is safer that a three wheeler with two in the back. You cannot drop a three wheeler to avoid a wreck, and they are worse on turns. I would suggest this as a much safer alternative, the single wheel in the back is a much safer combination.http://en-gb.spyder.brp.com/

post-391-0-36586000-1347849317_thumb.jpg

post-391-0-88051800-1347849535_thumb.jpg

Guest fountainhall

I have seen the mojoscooter, but not I think in Thailand. And if I recall correctly, they are quite nifty at turning, I assume because of the flexible suspension of the back wheels. But, as Khun KT points out, there's no way they can corner as fast as a two-wheeler.

There's probably just as much snobbery amongst motorcyclists as their four-wheeled brethren. Those haughty looks I get when a Porsche Cayenne draws up next to my Morris Minor at traffic lights.

But, do Cayenne drivers, or Range Rover drivers acknowledge each other when encountered in traffic in the same way drivers of older vehicles or classic VW campervans do? I doubt it. My father remembers driving a VW beetle in the days when they saluted each other. Driving in Ireland once, a young man by the roadside waved to me as I drove past. Not much sense of the other road user these days, I reckon the motorist gets into his bubble, turns on the music or lights a ciggie and just switches off. No interest in anyone other than himself.

Back to snobbery, logic tells us those hefty guys in their leather bibs and beards are going to get old just as everyone else. Give up their beloved bike? Fat chance! So why not carry on enjoying the freedom of the open road but in a more sensible configuration. One of those big Harleys falls over, that's quite serious proposition for an old man to pick it up, could be almost backbreaking literally. I notice those Harleys are always parked with just the side stand (I assume the centre stand is too difficult to operate, not sure if they even have one) so they don't look too stable to me.

An older biker could certainly do worse than seriously consider a three-wheeler.

Thanks for responses so far. Had to smile when Kuhn Khortose suggested that Koko could put his two wheeler into a controlled dump to avoid a worse disaster. Koko has not yet taken the advanced course in motorcycle safety and handling.. The last thing I want to do is go fast on curves or to fall over. As far as those bikes with the two wheels in front they are far too much for my budget. I actually did speak with one of those older bikers with his beard and leathers and confirm his concern that his legs and strength are just not up to man handling those big two wheel Harleys.

Maybe I should just stick with one of those conveyances with two big wheels in the back and two small ones in the front powered by a one boypower engine?

I'm not sure about Thailand, but those 3 wheelers seem to get used for pizza delivery in some other countries. Perhaps they just recognise the obvious advantages in something that doesn't fall over when it comes to a halt?

We could also presume the typically young workforce at these Pizza companies don't go around rolling them over on a daily basis either.

Of course, there are some 3 wheelers on the road in Thailand:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FmnMJk36-70/TfnFo6IQzPI/AAAAAAAAAsc/iU461ZiJh5I/s1600/Image000.jpg

Guest fountainhall

Morris Minor

That sounds like a child at Hogwarts! :D

My father remembers driving a VW beetle in the days when they saluted each other

Jeez! I remember the days when the AA man on his motor cycle would salute when he saw the AA badge on the front. Just shows what driving speeds were like in those days!

Cars and motorcycles are certainly better theses days, I mean the build quality, safety features, acceleration, braking, etc, but as for the rest I think driving is a worse experience. Watching a programme on British TV the other night about China, the presenter asked about electric cars, which are available now in China and look very smart, but they only sold 5000 of them last year which was only 1% of the total cars sold in China. I think he also said at present only 10% of Chinese people own a motor car, but this is expected to rise. The projected number of cars on the road in the future is quite frightening . . . hence the push - so far falling on deaf ears as far as the consumer is concerned - for 'green' motoring.

When a presenter asked a class of young schoolchildren what kind of car they'd like to own, the replies were straight out of a fairy tale - they all wanted flash cars, the faster and flashier the better. A similar question directed at their parents 25 years ago would no doubt have caused a few bemused giggles at the mere thought of ever owning a tractor, let alone a motor car.