TotallyOz

Mango Tree Restaurant in Gay Bangkok

The Mango Tree is NOT a gay restaurant but it is a short walk from the gay bars and many gay men go there for a nice dinner. It is down the same soi as Tawan Bar. It is great food at reasonable prices.

Mango Tree has served Thai dishes for over Twenty years. With the inspiration and belief that every guest should be treated as if they were coming into your own home. The owner does this with every guest through his passion for photography and a large display of cameras spanning many eras that can be seen as you enter the restaurant. It is like you are entering into his home and he wants to treat you like a special invited house guest.

The restaurant building itself is in a Thai-style home from King Rama VI, located in the heart of Silom Road area, with a big mango tree standing in the front yard, from which the name of restaurant originated. The restaurant, decorated with wooden furniture and fresh flowers, gives a cozy atmosphere, like dining at home. The courtyard outside is shady, breezy and pleasant, especially with evening live classical Thai music and beautiful dancing performances.

Mango Tree

37 Soi Tantawan, Surawongse Rd.,

Bangkok 10500

Tel. 0 2236 2820, 0 2236 1681

Fax. 0 2238 2649

E-mail : mangotree@coca.com

Open Daily : 11.30 a.m. - 12.00 p.m.

http://www.coca.com/mangotree/index.php

post-10472-0-63919700-1359847196_thumb.jpg

post-10472-0-12104100-1359847198_thumb.jpeg

I have eaten here about 100 times over the years and always enjoyed the meal. Also, the Thai boys I take seem to enjoy the meal. It is a very short walk to all the gay bars and the place is very relaxing and fun. Sometimes you may need a reservation as it has gotten more popular over the year as sometimes tour buses stop by with loads of customers.

Overall, it is one of my favorite places to eat in Bangkok.

Guest fountainhall

Like MIchael, I have eaten there many times. It has become popular with some tour groups, so booking ahead is certainly advisable. Note, also, that most patrons dine outside as the house itself is not very large. So, in the rainy season, it can be packed.

Apart from Tawan, other gay bars close by are the new Super A (the one downstairs from the old one), Golden Cock and Nature Boys. There are also a couple of male massage places across from Tawan.

PS for Scooby. There's something odd about the text in your OP. There is clearly some that has been omitted because it talks about "he shares this with every guest . . ." and someone with a passion for photography, but you are left guessing who that might be.

Tried this one on my last trip, had walked past hundreds of times and now I just wonder why I didn't go in earlier. Nice ambience, music and the food is truly delicious and at a reasonable price too, this restaurant is now on my to do list every time I visit Bangkok.

Some folks I know say this place is pretty "touristy" - and perhaps it is - but I've enjoyed several meals there with Thai and farang friends over the years. I was taken there on my first visit to Thailand by a Thai friend, should memory serve. Reservations during busy times is usually recommended. If you have time while outbound at Suvarnabhumi International there's a location there, too... past the security check points.

This is what it looks like at night:

MangoTreenightshot-W_zps42058832.jpg