TotallyOz

Health Insurance in Thailand

I was at the beach today talking to a friend when he popped the question. No, he didn't ask me to marry him. He asked if I had a Thai driver's license. I said no. I asked why. He said, he was wondering with regards to health insurance. I was a little baffled.

You see, our thought is that I have insurance with Traveler Jim. However, I don't have a license. If we were in a car accident and were driving would that then invalidate the claim? It seems to me that if you are driving illegally, the claim would then be denied. I do have the waiver for motorcycles and dangerous sports. :)

Guest francois

Cher GT, Not to be flippant, but would you drive in the US, Brazil, etc, without a drivers license or permit? You can get a international drivers license, good for one year, from AAA in the US. It is not expensive and is legal in Thailand. At the very least it might save you from a fine or impoundment of your car/motorcycle if you are stopped by the police or involved in an accident.

Just an idea.

It seems as if several people are interested in obtaining the Thai driver's license. There have been several requests for my article about how to get the license.

If enough people are interested, I will be glad to set up a mutually acceptable date on which I will meet with a group of people who want the license and personally walk you through the whole thing, from start to finish, including helping you get the documents you need at the Immigration police office and taking you to the driver's license bureau to complete the process.

The Pattaya Expats Club also has days set aside for people who who want the license.

If anyone is interested in that, please send an E-mail to me at gaybutton@gmail.com .

Guest gonefishing

He asked if I had a Thai driver's license. I said no. I asked why. He said, he was wondering with regards to health insurance. I was a little baffled.

I don't have a license. If we were in a car accident and were driving would that then invalidate the claim? It seems to me that if you are driving illegally, the claim would then be denied. I do have the waiver for motorcycles and dangerous sports. :)

You can get a international drivers license, good for one year, from AAA in the US.

GT,

if you are driving then not only is your health insurance invalid but so, more importantly, is any car / motorcycle insurance for you, your passengers and anyone / anything else in any accident.

The procedure for obtaining a licence is very simple, but the tests required (such as depth perception, peripheral vision, colour acuity, reaction time, etc), as well as the paperwork (doctor's certificate, letter from Immigration, national / international licence with photo, Non-Imm, etc) change regularly so ensure that your information is up to date.

francois,

you are correct that an International Licence is "good for one year", but it is only valid in any one country for 90 days from your date of entry to that country - a bit like a Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant being "good for one year" but only entitling you to a 90 day stay at one time. This point is often missed.

you are correct that an International Licence is "good for one year", but it is only valid in any one country for 90 days from your date of entry to that country - a bit like a Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant being "good for one year" but only entitling you to a 90 day stay at one time. This point is often missed.

I didn't know that either. I'm glad you posted that. I think you just saved a lot of people from the possibility of a big problem.

SO MANY people think they are covered on International Licenses for the year, but are not!

Another point worth looking into on Insurance is the Bail Bond part of your wording. If you are arrested do you have it to get out of Jail?

Cars usually have it and it can be obtained with Third Party only Insurance for Motorbike driving.

Read the exceptions clauses too, drinking, even moderately, drugs etc invalidate the policies.

My Thai friend did the Driving Test recently go here.

http://www.pattayagay.com/weeklyreport-aug2006.html

After reading this thread, I looked at my auto policy in Thailand.

As a background, I asked this question of my insurance broker when I first moved here years ago and didn't have a Thai driver's license yet.

I was told that I was covered so long as I had a valid license from somewhere.

My current policy says that the insurance does not cover:

"Driving by a person who has never obtained a license to drive any motor vehicle."

I interpret those provisions to mean that you are covered by insurance if you have a valid driver's license from any place, including an international one, but not necessarily Thai.

I will concede that it is ambiguous to some degree. But it certainly does not say that you must have a Thai license, especially if you are the named insured and driver. Remember also that insurance policies are normally construed against the company in cases of ambiguity.

Guest Trongpai

If enough people are interested, I will be glad to set up a mutually acceptable date on which I will meet with a group of people who want the license and personally walk you through the whole thing, from start to finish, including helping you get the documents you need at the Immigration police office and taking you to the driver's license bureau to complete the process.

Very nice of you. I can do the same here in Bangkok.

Anyone wanting assiatance E mail me.

Thai DL

Guest jomtien

Very nice of you too. Underneath my reputation for being an opinionated, arrogant, intolerant son-of-a-b**** I'm actually kind of a nice guy. Just don't tell anybody.

Your reputation for being an opinionated, arrogant, intolerant son-of-a-b**** is off topic for this thread.

I went off on a Google search looking for the rules on the 3mth provision for Driving licenses. This is what i found but not on Thai sites.

On the point made my Hedda on wording in Insurance policies my Policy English translation says the Policy is covered by Thai Law and I would then think that they mean a Thai Driving Licence when refering to one, but I cannot say for sure.

International Driving Permit

An International Driving Permit (IDP) allows you to drive a private motor vehicle overseas when accompanied by a valid UK driving license. IDPs are valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

Most countries require a 1949 Convention IDP but for certain countries, a 1926 Convention IDP is necessary. (Thailand is included in 1949)

Both 1949 and 1926 Convention IDPs can be issued to people aged 18 and over who hold a valid full UK (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) driving licence, or can obtain such licences on the basis of pass certificates (within the last two years). IDPs cannot be issued to holders of UK provisional licences without the pass certificates.

Important Notes What you need to know about IDPs

1. IDP applications can only be made up to three months in advance. An IDP may be post-dated up to three months in advance but, under no circumstances can it be backdated.

2. If you're going for more than three months, to live or to work, or for any reason other than tourism, you should make enquiries about your personal position before relying on a permit. Remember, it is an offence to drive a vehicle without a valid driving licence and, where required, a permit.

3. It is important to check the accuracy of the personal information printed on your driving licence. If there are any errors or you have a change of name or address, you should immediately notify the authority that issued your licence.

4. When hiring a car overseas remember that driving licence requirements worldwide do vary. Therefore, if you are making an advanced reservation in the UK, ask the company concerned to confirm driving licence requirements of the country to be visited. In the absence of such information consider an IDP as a precautionary measure, especially if travelling outside Europe.

5. AN IDP ISSUED IN THE UK IS NOT VALID FOR USE IN THE UK.

---------------------------------------------

An international driver's license is accepted in Thailand as long as its valid normally 3 months. A foreign license holds no weight here. If you decide to stay in Thailand you should obtain a Thai license. Some Insurance companies will put in fine print in Thai that you must be the holder of a CURRENT DRIVERS LICENSE which means a THAI DRIVERS' LICENSE not an international to claim insurance if you have an accident. To obtain an International license you must take documents to the Vehicle Registration Division of the Communication Transport Agency (opposite Chatuchak Park), Poholythin Rd, Bangkok, Tel: (02) 272-3615. Application can also be made at the Vehicle Registration Office in Chiang Mai located on Chiangmai-Hangdong Rd. tel (053) 270-411 as well as other registered Centres. Allow one month for issuance & mail delivery from Bangkok.

-------------------------------------------------

Once you have been in Thailand for a period extending 3 months, you will need an Thai driving licence, even though international drivers licenses are legally accepted. Several insurance companies have a fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered. Besides that: You'll offer the local law enforcement great opportunities by continuing to drive with an international license.

Guest gonefishing

I asked this question of my insurance broker when I first moved here years ago and didn't have a Thai driver's license yet.

I was told that I was covered so long as I had a valid license from somewhere.

My current policy says that the insurance does not cover:

"Driving by a person who has never obtained a license to drive any motor vehicle."

I interpret those provisions to mean that you are covered by insurance if you have a valid driver's license from any place, including an international one, but not necessarily Thai.

I will concede that it is ambiguous to some degree. But it certainly does not say that you must have a Thai license, especially if you are the named insured and driver. Remember also that insurance policies are normally construed against the company in cases of ambiguity.

Sorry, Hedda, but your information is 100% wrong in this case.

Although foreign licences were generally "accepted" here a number of years ago, this is definitely not the case now. Many insurance brokers here, including the best, are often ill-informed about some of the specifics of insurance which they should be expected to know - how many, for example, will tell you that your no-claims bonus is tied to your car not to you and goes with your car when you sell it? There are a considerable number of differences in policies, claims procedure, repair limitations, etc, between policies here and those in the UK or USA.

How you interpret a translation of your policy has no bearing on its legality and could result in costly and prolonged litigation which is pretty pointless when you consider how easy it is to obtain a legal Thai licence. The only way you will find out for sure if you are correct or not is after an accident - why wait?

Guest Trongpai

No one is going to give definative answers here. The easy way and safe way is to just get a Thai DL.

It cost me all of 105B. Then a few more to laminate it. The US embassy letter of conformation of address was the most expensive at 1,200B. I could have got one free via immigration but that takes more time. The medical was 100B.

The most complicated part is finding the right building in the Land Transportation Complex. Then the steps, floor one, floor two, floor three and back to floor 2. It took about an hour.

It helps to know your numbers in Thai well, they call out a number when it's your turn for the various tests. You should also know in Thai, Red, green and yellow.

I took the physical test in a group of about 60. Everyone passed, incluing this old guy that had to take the reflex test 5 times and this older lady that lost her shoe each time she tried to put on the break.

I could have got one free via immigration but that takes more time.

In Pattaya I would suggest getting the residence certificate at the Immigration office. Most of the time you submit the application and they tell you to come back in one hour to pick it up. Often, if they're not too busy, they'll do it for you on the spot. They charge a 200 baht fee.