firecat69

ATM machines not Safe???

This is the 3rd article I have read recently about ATM scams.

Pays to use ATMS in banks I would think they might be safe.

Certainly could ruin a vacation to Thailand very quickly.

Probably happening all over the world in this electronic age?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/379823/bank-atm-users-worry-after-international-thieves-target-bangkok-atms

The time has come to take a few extra precautions.  Covering the keypad seems to be no longer enough.

I shall probably try the following:

1 Try to use one or two specific types of ATM and familiarize myself with the design of keypad and card slot.  As it is, I already use Kasikorn machines by habit.

2 Use ATMs in busy locations.  More difficult to install equipment & a higher probability of a previous customer detecting the problem.

3 Use ATMs with security cameras, or better still inside the bank.  Although I'm not going to be limiting my withdrawals to normal banking hours.

Guest anonone

For those not familiar, this is about ATM skimming, which has been in the news in Thailand quite a bit lately.  I was pretty shocked when I started doing some research on-line and discovered just how difficult it can be to determine if a machine has skimming devices installed on it.

I originally posted these graphics on GayButton's site several days ago, but worth posting here as well.

ATM-Skimming-lg_zps45d4b090.jpg

And some images showing just how concealed these things can be....

skim4_zpse890e1f0.jpg

removed-aib-atm-skimming-device_zps2e710

cardskimmer_zps9cdb13f1.png

atm-digital-pad-scam_zpsaf878417.jpg

Hole in the wall's are here to stay and are very convenient, especially in Thailand where they adorn the outside of even the most humble convenience store (at least the air-conditioned ones). 

Unfortunately ATM's and their users are victims of their (the ATM's) success. If they had been restricted to the inside of banks' premises with decent security measures in place ATM fraud wouldn't be the problem it's become. Now it's a trade-off between convenience (ATM's ubiquitous) versus the chance of becoming a victim. 

The thieves are very sophisticated, it's a bit like bacteria that mutate very quickly to evade an antibiotic, the thieves learn how to stay one step ahead. 

So anything any of us propose will be useless in next to no time. However, that won't stop me asking why the banks don't install cameras of their own? eg. CCTV cameras to watch for anyone tampering with the ATM in any of the ways shown in Anonone's post, although that won't be feasible outside the convenience stores. Anyone trying to disable a CCTV camera will set off an alarm that will shutdown the ATM machine. 

Some banks do have security cameras. 

I suppose they could take it one step further and have sophisticated optical inspection cameras which flag up any change to the ATM appearance.

Some banks do have security cameras. 

Thanks, I wasn't sure about that. If a customer can see there is a camera there for his benefit (i.e. to deter a fraudster) might he not seek out such ATM's in future rather than use 'any old one'. 

I suppose they could take it one step further and have sophisticated optical inspection cameras which flag up any change to the ATM appearance

Just as Big Pharma needs to keep the pipeline for new antibiotics pumping full steam ahead, so the banks need to spend more of their $$ ££ millions of profits on protecting the customer . . .  us!

I have had this happen to friends in Brazil. I am very leery about any ATM and I tend to use the same ones over and over.

I am currently in India and I have a driver each day that takes me to my office here. I told him to stop at the bank ATM last week and he took me to a little mom and pop store with an ATM and I politely told him no. I said only bank and only Citibank.  It was a bit out of the way, but I don't like the feeling of using small ATM's and never will.

But, I also will not use Credit Cards very much in foreign lands.  I prefer cash.  I'll use CC at hotel and major places but never at small shops, etc.  I learned my lesson years back in Brazil when I got my card copies and returned to the USA with over 20,000 USD in charges while I was in flight. Never again.  So, i am very very careful where I charge things at.  I much prefer to withdraw cash and use it in 3rd World countries. 

Oddly, I use CC all the time in the USA and never worry.

So, i am very very careful where I charge things at.  I much prefer to withdraw cash and use it in 3rd World countries. 

Me too, prefere inconvenience of handling cash than problems with fake  credit cards charges, but Michael your outlook is too rosy - I only once have problem of  fake credit card chrged and unfortunaltely in originated in USA , but this was back in 20 th century.

The CC companies  have become so good at advising you of charges I no longer worry when out of the country.  I pick one card such as Chase which has no foreign transaction fees.  Then I select alert to my email any time card is used.  I use it anywhere and within seconds I get an alert email that card has been used .

Once in awhile I will get an alert asking me to confirm the charge which they have temporarily approved . You can also have the alerts go to your phone but  since I am never without 4g wherever I travel I find the email alert to be sufficient. I set my iPhone to alert me to any emails and all worries CC fraud have been removed.

Now ATM machines are something additional to worry about!!

Guest anonone

Just to follow up a bit.

I have contacted my Credit Union (type of bank) and they were able to restrict my ATM card to access checking account only.  No way to access funds in savings account by use of any ATM machine now. 

Just a further way to limit the risk, if my card should happen to be skimmed.

I too use Chase for the same reasons as Firecat.  However, sometimes they are too good and you can get stopped from making a new charge after Chase suspects something and before you get a notification.  A pain in the ...., but I have never been ripped off.  A good trade-off in my book.