GoldMember

Planning a trip to SE Asia

Hi, 

I know this is a Thailand forum and I hope it's OK to ask a more general question here.

About half a year ago I returned from my first visit in Thailand. I knew when that trip ended that I will soon return. This forum and the people who advised me aided me a lot so I would like to consult with you guys on a trip I am planning this summer. 

I'v decided there is no better way to celebrate my 30th birthday than to go on a 45 day trip to SE Asia. Bangkok will surly be included. I am traveling solo. 

I will surly have many questions regarding each destination I choose to visit but I first want to get an impression on nice places to visit in SE Asia. I want to book the direct flight from Tel-Aviv next week since prices are increasing and the sooner I order the flight the - the better. That is the only flight I plan on booking before I leave. All the rest of the flights I will book while traveling and depending on the whether. My trip Will start on the beginning of August and end in the middle of September. 

I think I want to start in BKK so that settles one part of my dilemma. My problem is that I am not sure where do I want to return from. Direct return flights to TLV are only from Hong-Kong, Beijing, BKK. Since I want to visit several countries I think I might return from a different destination than BKK, maybe Beijing. 

I want your opinion regarding countries that I should visit. One the one hand, I don't want to visit too many places and then feel that I am running from place to place and on the other hand, I won't have many more chances to have this kind of trip so I want to make the best and most out of it. I was thinking about: BKK, Saigon, Hanoi, Manila, Maybe another Island or place in the Philippines, Taipei, Seoul. Am I missing some other important place? Is it too much? I am also looking an option to enter Bali but apparently the Indonesian government is not thrilled about letting someone in with his Israeli passport. Japan is not an option since I promised my BF we will go together next year. 

Just a bit about what I want to do in my trip: Visit the big SE Asian cities, See some nice beaches, Maybe day trips to beautiful places, I am not planning on backpacking - I prefer spending the night in a nice hotel so sightseeing is more than welcomed but only on day trips. Of course, I am gay so I wand to enjoy the gay life of each city. I know that BKK probably has the best one so i will keep my expectations low for the other destinations. I'v saved for this trip about 220 USD a day (excluding the direct TLV flight and including everything else) so this must be taken also as a consideration when planning the cities I want to visit. 

Also, Weather speaking, I know it's not the ideal time to visit SE Asia but only in these months I have my semester break. So the dates can't change but my destinations can and I would like to know from your experience what's your opinion regarding my plans.

Thanks! 

P.S If someone wants to join parts of my trip, you are more than welcomed to send me a message. 

First question --- How often can you return to Asia? 

If you're able to visit every year, I would visit no more than 3 countries on this trip, so there's something new for the next trip.

Angkor Wat in Cambodia should be very high on your agenda for any SE Asian trip. 

First question --- How often can you return to Asia? 

mmm I have no idea... I hope that I will be able to come often but actually as life becomes more and more complicated I think it will take a while until I can come again for a long visit. In addition, my next trips will not be solo and my BF does not want to come to SE Asia so I want to see as much as I can but not too much for one trip. 

Angkor Wat in Cambodia should be very high on your agenda for any SE Asian trip. 

Actually, I didn't even think of Cambodia as an option and after reading your advice and reading additional information online it sounds like a good option! Thanks! maybe I'll skip this time on Seoul and instead do Cambodia which makes more sense..  

Well

Since you like nice Hotels and your budget is at least somewhat limited, Thailand will certainly give you a lot for the money. Cambodia and especially Angkor Wat should be a priority and you will find nice hotels at reasonable prices and everything is dirt cheap like guide and car rentals to visit various ruins.

I don't especially like Singapore as I find it a little sterile and just not very interesting IMHO. HongKong is a must in my opinion but this is definitely the most expensive place you may visit so you need to plan carefully. I find Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia a very interesting city with its predominately Muslim population.

Vietnam is interesting but it may be brutally Hot there so something to look at. Your budget will not be hurt there but I only have experience in Hanoi .

Things to consider are Visas. I know China can be a pain in the ASS for USA residents and although there are some great sites again it is more expensive and the air quality could kill you. hehe.

Certainly the gay life available to you may be quite different since you are much younger then many of the posters here.

You might consider Bali but I think that is heavy rain season.

The sooner you plan your Asia flights the better because Air Asia or their competition tend to have much much lower fares the further in advance you buy and every penny saved there is money you have to spend in the destinations.

Guest abang1961

I am from Singapore and I do agree that Singapore is EXPENSIVE for its better rooms.

Other than that, transportation is easy and almost every other person CAN understand English.

TIp/Trick

You can book your flights via AirAsia (flight hub in Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok), Tiger Airways, Skoot  and Jetstar (flying out of Singapore).  Check the prices for the same route/destination and you will be surprised that the fares are so low.. not much more than a taxi ride in your own country!

Trains .. are slower and dirtier but it would be nice if you can spend a Saturday to see the Death Railway and the Bridge over River Kwai (go watch that David Niven's movie) for THB 125 (yes, USD 4) for a full day excursion.. 

You have to work out:

1.  Time schedule - how much time do you have

2.  What are your interest... city/beach/heritage

3.  Budget ...

PM me if you need more information...

Bagan in Burma / Myanmar / , Angkor Vat in Cambodia, Luang Prabang in Laos, Halong Bay in Vietnam, Bali and temples of Prambanan and Borubudur on Java , Indonesia are world class sites not to be missed and worth a trip from even remotest corner of the world. None of those countries will ruin your budget. You need to consider visa situation but you know that already.

If you pick Burma do not miss Mandalay, Rangoon and Inle lake. In Rangoon you will want visit also old synagogue, not a gem but this is not a country usually we think about Jewish presence in so you may find it interesting.

In Laos Vientiane, Plain of Jars,  Van Vieng and Vat Phu near Champasak are worthy secondary sites.

In Cambodia Phnom Penh and Ratnakiri province are also worthy detours.

In Vietnam Sapa, Hanoi, Royal tombs near Hue , Hoi An, Dalat , Nha Trang for a beaches and Saigon are recommended .

All those countries are not expensive and possibly best value for money in the whole world.

Do not try to rush things up as 45 day trip is long and if you are packing too much it may wear you out, weather wise is not  a best time to visit but you are not coming from exactly cold country so you should be OK.

Make Bkk your hub so after each country you can return , entertain boys for few days and fly away again to next destination.

as above-AirAsia can connect you back to the place you fly into-find the place with lowest ticket price. Book wisely to maximize the time you are allowed in each country before you get into visa-trouble. In between TH-KH-LA-VN you do not really need to fly-unless you are spoilt for luxury-and can use bus or train in between. Overnight trains are fairly pleasant and save a long day of travels-or half a day spending go to/fro and wait in airpts. Seat61.com has the info.

Are you Israeli? in That case some of the muslim countries (Malaysia, Indonesia) may be out of bounds of have many restrictions on entry. Visa for China are increasingly harder to get for ANYone from the west-easiest to do on the spot in hKG.

Re time of year-you do not specify that exact-how can we know when your BD is? Assuming its about the wesetrn summer; thats rainy season about anywhere. That does not spoil too much-but the later in the year-(sept-oct) it tends to get wetter and wetter and may lead to flooding.

Thank you all for your advice! I am taking all of it into consideration. 

HongKong is a must in my opinion but this is definitely the most expensive place you may visit so you need to plan carefully.

I'v already been on my last trip in HK so I think i'll only go there for if I have spare days before my flight back. 

I find Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia a very interesting city with its predominately Muslim population.

I cannot enter Malaysia with my humble Israeli passport :( I would really like to, but no chance to get in there. There is a slight chance for Indonesia and I am checking that option but it's also unsure since the (nonexistent) relations with Israel are very shaky.

The sooner you plan your Asia flights the better because Air Asia or their competition tend to have much much lower fares the further in advance you buy and every penny saved there is money you have to spend in the destinations.

I know that it is much cheaper to book in advance but I want to keep all my options open till the last minute and especially cause the weather is unexpectable. 

I am from Singapore and I do agree that Singapore is EXPENSIVE for its better rooms.

I think I'll pass Singapore this time. It is maybe a bit high budget for me and I want to spend also some time in Taipei which is supposed to be also high budget. 10x. 

Bagan in Burma / Myanmar / , Angkor Vat in Cambodia, Luang Prabang in Laos, Halong Bay in Vietnam, Bali and temples of Prambanan and Borubudur on Java , Indonesia are world class sites not to be missed and worth a trip from even remotest corner of the world. None of those countries will ruin your budget. You need to consider visa situation but you know that already.

If you pick Burma do not miss Mandalay, Rangoon and Inle lake. In Rangoon you will want visit also old synagogue, not a gem but this is not a country usually we think about Jewish presence in so you may find it interesting.

In Laos Vientiane, Plain of Jars,  Van Vieng and Vat Phu near Champasak are worthy secondary sites.

In Cambodia Phnom Penh and Ratnakiri province are also worthy detours.

In Vietnam Sapa, Hanoi, Royal tombs near Hue , Hoi An, Dalat , Nha Trang for a beaches and Saigon are recommended .

All those countries are not expensive and possibly best value for money in the whole world.

Wrote all these sites down... I think I'll do Cambodia for sure and also Vietnam. Not sure about Laos and Myanmar since I think I wanna visit Manila and Taipei and I wont be able to do it them all... Maybe I'll skip one of them (Manila or Taipei). What do you think? I also wanna visit maybe a nice Island in the Philippines but indeed it is maybe too much.  

you do not really need to fly-unless you are spoilt for luxury

I am a bit spoilt :) I think I'll do mostly flights. 

Are you Israeli? in That case some of the muslim countries (Malaysia, Indonesia) may be out of bounds of have many restrictions on entry. Visa for China are increasingly harder to get for ANYone from the west-easiest to do on the spot in hKG.

Israeli indeed. No Malaysia for me :( and not sure about Indonesia. I think I can only enter Indonesia if I have a local sponsor which i obviously don't have. 

Re time of year-you do not specify that exact-how can we know when your BD is? 

As I said in my post, My trip starts at the beginning of August (5th) and ends at the middle of September (23rd) 2 days before the Jewish new year's eve. 

Thanks again! This really helps me to understand how to prepare for my trip. 

Wrote all these sites down... I think I'll do Cambodia for sure and also Vietnam. Not sure about Laos and Myanmar since I think I wanna visit Manila and Taipei and I wont be able to do it them all... Maybe I'll skip one of them (Manila or Taipei). What do you think? I also wanna visit maybe a nice Island in the Philippines but indeed it is maybe too much.  

...indonesia if I have a local sponsor which i obviously don't have. 

Go with your guts,

I personally would not trade Myanmar and Laos for Philippines or Taiwan but that's me, I like ruins , big cities and mountains, hate beaches so obviously have different preferences.

Investigate option that one of hotels in Indonesia may act as sponsor.

I forgot about Preah Vihar temple on Cambodia-Thai border , below is the link to thread from this forum

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/8502-preah-vihear-temple/?hl=vihar&do=findComment&comment=70484

Guest dale1

Have lived in the area now for 17 years .... have done a good bit of regional travel ..... two MUST spots for me to recommend would be in Cambodia, Angkor Wat (a real wonder of the world) and in Laos, Luang Prabang (a UNESCO World Heritage site) .... both totally different from each other, but both totally awesome..... I am about to go to Myanmar for Songkran, so may well add that to my list of MUSTS. Happy travels.

I agree Luang Prabang is well worth a visit. 

Once you're there, you simply have to visit the Kuang Si waterfalls.

If you like taking photos, go up there before all the tourists.  Just ask a few tourist agents when they run trips, then next morning just negotiate a trip with a tuk tuk driver departing at lease one hour earlier.

There's a lovely little rustic steam sauna just off Sissavong road too.

z909 Kuang Si comment goes with all popular tourist attractions - wake up early and arrive before bus hordes.

If you think about it 'early bird catches the worm phrase " works even in go-go bar, arrive late most attractive boys may be taken or sitting with ugly farang who offs boy at first sign you show you may be interested in him as well.

Returning to Luang Prabang subject another side trip are 1000 Buddha caves accessible by the boat up Mekong easy to organize, boat operators will find you. Very pleasant half day trip.

If you are planning to visit Plain of Jars / recommended / taking day trip from Luang by hiring a car with driver while possible is expensive and sheer idiocy - vistas are spectacular but drive is very long and on way back my driver was falling asleep behind the wheel, with all my prayers car felt like a church. Since I'm typing that obviously they were answered to.

Round trip flight for Vientiane would cost roughly the same like my taxi / 200 USD / are there are tourist minibuses available from Luang for 70000 kip / 9 usd / couple times a week

If going from Vientiane to Luang Prabang, the minibus is quite tiring due to almost constant cornering on the mountain roads, however the views are spectacular, so it's worth it in one direction.

Thank you all for your help, After reading all your advice and further investigation online I decided to do TLV -> BKK -> Siem Reap -> Phnom Penh -> Saygon -> Hanoi -> and then decide whether Laos or Philipines -> Hong Kong -> TLV. I'll probably do more at each country but these are the main cities I plan on visit. Also, I am not booking the domestic flights until the last minute to make sure the weather is nice. 

Just booked the TLV->BKK and HKG->TLV flights and I am leaving TLV at Aug 5th till Sep 23rd. I am super excieted! Now just need to wait 4 months :(

Keeping within mainland SE Asia will minimize travel for sure. So I would suggest Laos rather than the Philippines with the only caveat being that the culture in Laos will be similar to Thailand and Cambodia while I believe the Philippines is a very different sort of place (I have not been there).

Personally I really enjoyed Taiwan. Taipei doesn't have to be expensive. Last year when I was there I rented an apartment for a week via travelmob.com for about $100/night. It was in a little neighborhood about 2 minutes walk from MRT. There is a good bit of stuff to see and do in Taipei. Public transport is very good and very cheap. The east coast of Taiwan has lots of great nature spots like Taroko Gorge.

I really like Singapore too. The humidity about killed me, but otherwise I thought it was great. There is more to see and do than most people think. And the young men are gorgeous. I spent several days there in November and am headed back for several more this year before I head to Indonesia for a couple of weeks.

But I think if you are going all the way to SE Asia then seeing the sights like Angkor and Luang Prabang are certainly more than worthwhile. Spending time in the slower paced places gives you a better feel for the culture. If you haven't been up to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and the north of Thailand they are also worth a visit. As is Sukhothai and even places in Isaan. Of course August/Sept are rainy season so you might run into some floods here and there throughout the region that time of year.

I love cities too. But big Asian metropolises are a lot like big metropolises everywhere. Same international brands everywhere. Lots of traffic. I would definitely suggest doing time in quieter places. Given 6+ weeks you have lots of time, but you know the weather can really slow you down so don't try to pack in too much.