baobao

Using a Thai cell phone in Taiwan

I've heard I can replace the SIM chip in my Thai cell phone to use it in some other countries, but I'm wondering if anyone here has been able to swap out their SIM chip in Taiwan?  It seems as though I read somewhere that a traveler had bought a SIM at or near the airport in Taipei, but that was a while ago.

Any ideas / experience / suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

101TowerPanorama1_zps1867c489.jpg

Overseas tourists arriving in Thailand can pop a Thai sim in their phone and it usually works fine. 

Therefore, it's likely the same process works in reverse.  You could use google to find out what frequency bands are in use in Taiwan, then google the serial numbers on the back of your phone to check what it covers. 

Personally, I just show up in any given country and buy a SIM, which works (except for Japan).

The following might help.   http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

As for availability:

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/asia-north-east-asia/topics/sim-card-at-taipei-international-airport

Guest abang1961

I have given Khun Bao-Bao the website with the instructions.

Those Android phones are easier to "adapt" in foreign lands whereas it is necessary to unlock Apple ones.

Anyway, just go to the many vendors at the Tao Yuan airport and they can figure out what to do with yours..

I usually get the 5 days package ...

As a follow-up to my original question I wanted to thank folks for the advice - it worked. There are a number of carriers available through dozens of dealers, with plans that are both reasonable and have good coverage. The airport shops open at 0830 - too long a wait for me after the long trans-pacific flight - but I found four major carrier shops within a block and a half of my hotel, with English-speaking folks who were able to install my SIM and activate my plan. Not having a lot of time to visit there this trip I just took a basic plan for around $12US, and was most pleased with it. My phone is a "dual chip" unit, so I was able to just add the Taiwan SIM.

Again, thanks for the advice here and via PM. Taipei is a fantastic place for a stopover: easy transport, a wide variety of scenic spots and friendly people. I'll get around to posting about it soon.

FriendTaipei013115_zps3033d879.jpg

Guest abang1961

There are always "beauty lies in the hands of the beholder"...

I just have a vacation in Taiwan over the Chinese New Year period and boy, a visit to the hot spring is worth the thousands spent.

The place is Chuan Tang.. Not that easy to travel there on public transport but let me tell you, it is WORTH the visit.  Hunks galore and the steam room is "BUSY" with guys lining in rows of 5..each one rubbing their hard cocks around....YUMMY...

I bought the 5 days SIM card and managed to move around Taipei with my GPS/Maps apps. I have had a ball of time navigating to places by myself...