TotallyOz

Spire Elite - IHG's New Tier

I logged into my IHG account today and got this message:

Welcome to Spire Elite! A whole new level of benefits is yours to enjoy.

Aparently, this is the new level and requires 75 nights a year to reach. That is a lot of nights in their hotels and while it does give you some benefits, the old Platinum level did the same and was less nights to maintain.  Until I logged in today, I had enough nights acculumated for the next 3 years as I have over 150 nights available as roll over.  Now, this new requirement rolls that back a year to 2 years of nights.

I spoke to the hotel I am staying with and was told this does not effect the Ambassador program or their Royal Ambassador clients as that is for those that stay with Intercontinental branded hotels.

In the end, I hope this is not just another tier to suck away points and give less to frequent visitors. But, I do feel that every hotel and airline keep offering less and less. :(

Guest LoveThailand

This is very true for airline loyalty programs. New terms and conditions suck big time: miles are harder to earn and benefits are harder to use.

This is very true for airline loyalty programs. New terms and conditions suck big time: miles are harder to earn and benefits are harder to use.

as long as they don't charge extra for membership I can live with those restrictions, If I can use miles I do , If I can't , I just shake it off. In my 11 trips to LOS I used 11 different connections and 8 carriers and always felt that deal I got was better than keeping loyal to one airline

Marriott plat takes 75 nights a year to obtain and keep.  Sounds like spire is IHGs version of that level.

They are now both doing 75 nights for this tier.  But, IHG use to be 50 and it had the same benefits as Marriott but 25 less nights a year.  In the end, it gets to the point where these are not of the value they should have and I am now at the point of deciding not to work to get elite in either program.  I have held Platinum Elite with both for over 10 years and while I get a few perks when I check into the hotel, it may not be the value I should be getting based on the money I spent on their hotels.

IHG offers Royal Ambassador which is harder to get and requires 20 nights in Intercontinental branded hotel.  I have been Royal for 10 years as well and that always gets me a free 1 bedroom suite and free mini bar.  Both are great perks if and only if it is an Intercontinental Hotel.  On my next trip to Thailand, the Intercontinental Hotel in Bangkok is nearly 9k baht per night.  For that rate, I can easily get a just as nice 2 bedroom suite at The Ascott and have money left over.  The same is true for a stay I have planned for Egypt. 

It is hard to give up status for IHG but this may be my last year to retain it as I just can't justify the expense.

This is the way I have gone with Delta, United , Marriott.  Only thing I may maintain is Diamond (top tier) with Hilton and not even sure of that.

They treat me good in Asia and most of Europe but don't get much in the USA.  By the same token it only requires 30 stays to maintain Diamond so I can add a bunch of Hampton Inns at $70 per night in order to beef up my stays.  Also point stays count so next year I could spend a small % of my Million + points and still maintain Diamond and spend nothing..

Since I discovered, and am very happy with, Airbnb, I have lost Gold status I have had for many years with Marriott. So far I only have 2 nights this year, so probably will lose any status this year. I used to pick up most of my nights in Thailand, but now the apartment is a much better deal for me.

I'm still staying loyal to American for my mileage, but the end is on the horizon. I have 3 more trips to Bangkok booked for this year so that will push me over 100k flown to keep getting my Business Class upgrades for next year, after That I have doubts. Though I have a feeling after I do my first trip to Asia in coach, I'll be looking for status again.

Guest anonone

The travel loyalty game certainly has been changing a lot over the past couple years.  I still see value in certain programs, but they are not as great as previously.  And there is a lot more inter-activity with credit cards, which has kind of become a game of its own.  Flyertalk.com is an amazing resource for all that stuff.

A small tip for those that may not be aware.  Some airline programs and hotel programs have linked and have offered reciprocal status for free.  As an example, some levels at United will automatically get you Marriott status.  If I didn't already have Marriott Platinum on my own, my United 1K status would have granted me Marriott Gold.  Marriott Gold, or higher, gets free United Silver if I recall correctly. 

It is worth checking out to see what benefits you might be eligible for as there is no cost.