gerefan

Kasikorn Bank/ New Passport

What do I do to inform Kasikorn Bank, just show them the new one...with the new number?

I recently renewed my passport.  Some banks make you return to the branch where you originally opened your account to change your passport number.  Bangkok Bank did that with me.  I was at a different branch, but they told me I have to return to the original branch.

Don't go to a teller window.  Go to one of the bank officer desks.  Bring your real passport with you.  They will fill out a form with your new passport number, have you sign it, and then enter it into their computer.  Now all of their bank branches will have your new passport number on their computers.

I have no idea why they can't make the number change at just any branch, but that's the way it worked for me at Bangkok Bank.

When I renewed, I had to take both passports - old and new. Also, the new passport details were not automatically passed on to the bank's credit card branch. So if you have a cc you should make sure they also has the details. I received my new one less than 3 weeks before the annual retirement visa renewal. But I still had to have the old visa transferred into the new passport and then the new visa inserted. Total waste of pages.

I opened my account some years ago with Kasikorn at the branch near Tukcom Pattaya. I've since renewed my passport and been to Kasikorn Silom branch when I had problems with a debit card (defective magnetic strip) while in Bangkok. They didn't even check the passport number and issued a new card without problems.

never occurred to me to do that when I renewed my pp earlier this year. Will do that then, thanks for this!

I didn't know I had to do it at all.  I had made several transactions at the bank after receiving my new passport.  The branch I usually go to didn't exist at the time I first opened my account, but it's much closer to where I live.  They know me there.  No transaction problems at all. 

It was when my bank passbook had become full and they needed to issue a new passbook - that's when they wouldn't do it until I had gone to the branch where I had opened my account and changed the passport number.

I still have no idea why it had to be that particular branch.  I'm just glad I wasn't out of town somewhere.

I opened my account some years ago with Kasikorn at the branch near Tukcom Pattaya. I've since renewed my passport and been to Kasikorn Silom branch when I had problems with a debit card (defective magnetic strip) while in Bangkok. They didn't even check the passport number and issued a new card without problems.

Unless they knew you there, not something too reassuring they just give out a new debit card without much ID checks.

Because they have your paper file and a copy of your new passport would need to be filed in the proper file.

If you're right, then I guess they don't believe in Email attachments, fax machines, or simply entering into their computer system which branch is holding the paper with the actual signature.  Apparently they're not happy unless they have the original and it's held in the same bank where the other originals are stored - assuming they're actually kept there in the first place.

Oh well, whether you're right about the reason or not, it doesn't really matter.  That's how it's done.  So, to avoid problems, if you have a new passport just go to the bank branch where you first opened your account.

Fortunately my Kasikorn Bank is also the one at Tukcom, so I will go there when I arrive and present the new passport. I might as well cart the old one around too even though I have enough shite to think about! TiT!

I thought it best to update them just in case they need to see the passport for anything...

It would have never occurred to me to inform my Thai bank about a new passport. But as new passport is coming up, and bank book almost full, thanks for all the information shared in this thread. I will add my own experience when I try to get a new bank book with a new passport.

Update: The passport I used to open my bank account was stolen in 2013, so I have already a new one without my bank knowing. Will try to get a new bank book at a branch near my current place without mentioning change of passport.