ggobkk

Thailand leads the world - not always a good thing

There are lies, damned lies & statistics. I presume Vietnam has somehow fiddled the statistics, since the driving is horrendous & it's the only place where I have encountered several accidents on a single journey. Thailand seems way ahead.

Guest samebb

There are lies, damned lies & statistics. I presume Vietnam has somehow fiddled the statistics, since the driving is horrendous & it's the only place where I have encountered several accidents on a single journey. Thailand seems way ahead.

True enough. Just like crime statistics. If it's not reported to whoever or whatever oversight body... blah. 

I haven't got the death wish required to ride a bike in Thailand or Vietnam. I can say honestly if I had to choose thought, it would be Thailand where I would take to the roads on 2 wheels. 

On Vietnam TV, I do see quite a few fatal accidents involving motorcycles, usually when they collide with a truck or car.  I still think that Vietnam would be close to Thailand for motorcycle fatalities.  The graph above I guess includes all types of traffic related deaths including those involving cars, vans, trucks, buses, etc.

This is the third news article I've seen this year purporting to show road fatality statistics, and they are all different.

The first one I read said Libya had the highest number of road deaths. Another article I read just the other day said it was India. Now we are told it's Thailand.

What's going on??

Whatever the truth, best take particular care in any South East Asian country, especially if you are contemplating riding a motorcycle. It's not always the worry that you might cause an accident; more often than not it is the guy coming the other way towards you who you have to worry about.