reader

Allow 3 hours to DMK

From Bangkok Post

Travellers have been told to allow for at least three hours if they're going from downtown Bangkok to Don Mueang airport by road as roadworks in the area get under way.

The Highways Department plans to rebuild a ramp connecting the airport with the adjacent Vibhavadi Rangsit Road. The work is part of a project to expand the outbound Vibhavadi Rangsit Road opposite the outbound Vibhavadi Rangsit Road opposite the airport.

The plan is to demolish the ramp and rebuild it so the entrance to the ramp will be located closer to the nearby rail track and away from the point of traffic congestion.

Once the ramp entrance has been moved, there will be space to construct a third lane on the road which will improve traffic flow.

During the closure, motorists heading to the airport from downtown Bangkok should take the U-turn near the air force base on the road and enter the airport through either entrances 3 or 4.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1296891/don-mueang-off-ramp-closed-for-repairs

I have usually taken the skytrain & the bus.    Since the bus would be no doubt held up by these roadworks, the train is an obvious option, but do check the timetable first.   

My one trip on that line was from Ayutthaya to Bangkok & it was a pleasant way to travel.   Also reasonably swift, except for the last stretch in Bangkok. 

Trains coming from Hua Lampong are usually on time, but trains going to Hua Lampong can have any imaginable delay, here it's best to check at the railway station (delays are posted at the ticket counter). 5 Baht is cheapest, some trains have only more expensive (but still much cheaper and faster than all other options in traffic jam).

but trains going to Hua Lampong can have any imaginable delay, 

no necessarily an obstacle, say you are on platform at 3 p.m.  and train from Surin , planned arrival 1.30 is late 90 minutes and is about to roll in the station , been there , done that.

yeah, why not add another train trip to my travels! As i really enjoy train travelling, that would be a great option and definitely bypass that traffic issues. I just checked schedule and there is a 1.45pm that would be perfect if they depart on time for my 5pm departure, as i am usually at the airport 2 hour before my departure. The train before that is 10.50 am and train after would be at 3.20pm, which is too early or too late for me.

So, I checked this thread in anticipation of my trip to DMK for an Air Asia flight to CM yesterday and had a knee jerk panic reaction...

Just want to let you all know what happened here - I saw the 3 hour thing so, naturally, I allocated 3 hours for my tip to DMK... Did a GRAB car - first time ever and it was just perfect - 503THB from charoen krung to the airport  but it only took me about 40 minutes which gave me way too much time to hang out at this lovely bus terminal (oops, airport)...

One other thing, I am trying to figure out how I can get to Pattaya from DMK on Sunday most effortlessly - did not see many transportation option other than going into BKK and continuing the trip from there, a path i would like to avoid.

Should I just go to the public taxi stand and hope for the best????? Or...arrange my own car (suggestions?) Or perhaps try GRAB again (which might be about 2000 THB it seems...)

Thanks!

e-mail this firm:

the_limopattaya@yahoo.com

The Limo Pattaya

Your call. Your comfort. Your choice.

www.thelimopattaya.com

+66(0)85 739 49 49

thanks for this...

i am not usually one to "split hairs" over cost, but - Pattaya to DMK 900, DMK to Pattaya 2500? - should i be surprised (or not)?

I just checked schedule and there is a 1.45pm that would be perfect if they depart on time for my 5pm departure, as i am usually at the airport 2 hour before my departure. The train before that is 10.50 am and train after would be at 3.20pm, which is too early or too late for me.

I have been on trains in Thailand on estimated 20,000 km, and can summarize my experiences: schedules are just an estimate, it means that there is a train going from A to B, and it will pass the station in the morning / midday / afternoon / evening / night.

One other thing, I am trying to figure out how I can get to Pattaya from DMK on Sunday most effortlessly - did not see many transportation option other than going into BKK and continuing the trip from there, a path i would like to avoid.

You can take van from Pattaya to Bangna (but ask if the van stops at Bangna BTS or goes directly to Mor Chit bus station) and then take BTS from Bangna to Mor Chit, and continue by taxi or bus. Thus you avoid the traffic in central Bangkok.

Or take the van to Mor Chit bus station (the van will probably go by expressway, that means you can't get out before reaching Mor Chit bus station, which is a bit from Mor Chit BTS / Chatuchak MRT and always a traffic chaos getting and and out of Mor Chit bus station).

If you don't like van, bus from North Pattaya to Ekkamai (passes Bangna and might let you out at BTS). Or bus from Jomtien to airport, and from there by ARL and MRT or BTS.

If you have luggage, none of the these is feasible.

So, I checked this thread in anticipation of my trip to DMK for an Air Asia flight to CM yesterday and had a knee jerk panic reaction...

Just want to let you all know what happened here - I saw the 3 hour thing so, naturally, I allocated 3 hours for my tip to DMK... Did a GRAB car - first time ever and it was just perfect - 503THB from charoen krung to the airport  but it only took me about 40 minutes which gave me way too much time to hang out at this lovely bus terminal (oops, airport).

Better to have read the full Bangkok Post article which makes clear 

the only direct exit will be closed from Monday, July 31 until Wednesday, Aug 2.

Unfortunately reader did not include this in the OP.

Better to have read the full Bangkok Post article which makes clear 

Unfortunately reader did not include this in the OP.

I try to be judicious in how much of an article I copy so not to take up too much space. But I always post link to original article for those who wish to pursue it in greater detail.

But your posting this 42 days after the OP and 11 days after nynakedtop's post suggests there's another issue at hand.

IBut your posting this 42 days after the OP and 11 days after nynakedtop's post suggests there's another issue at hand.

No issue I assure you and I am sorry if my post gave any offence. I for one am glad you do not post full articles and so it is up to other posters to read them. As you will note from my posts I do not visit the forum as often as most. So sometimes a response will be a bit out of date. In this case, I merely wished others to avoid nynakedtops experience.

On the other hand, it will pay readers to keep looking at this traffic situation. That closure was an experiment. The intention is to replace the ramp quite soon and that will definitely require longer times to get to DMK.