newalaan

I.D/contact info on a Thailand visit.

Didn't want to post off topic on the tragic Lurker thread so made new thread. It relates to a comment by floridabob below on the Lurker thread regarding contact info on your person when in Thailand. It's always good to bring the topic up every so often as a reminder.

When abroad anywhere, but especially Thailand I carry a credit card sized passport page copy, which is the passport page photocopied laminated and folded in half. Before laminating I use the blank side to print out contact number for bf  and best friend in Thailand, then next of kin in UK. Also my travel insurance company name, policy number, tel no and email address. Below that any medication I might be taking, or would list health issues if I had any.

Being credit card size it fits into all my shirt pockets and I take it everywhere when abroad, every day no matter where I am. I hate the idea of having an accident or incident where time is of the essence, such as heart attack/stroke or just traffic accident and they have to spend time identifying me and/or if I have the means to pay for medical attention or pre-existing medical cinditions.

Also when staying with Bf, he always knows safe combination and where the Travel Ins copy is and credit card is as back up if we are not together. Which often happens as sometimes I go out alone. I don't know about having the info on the mobile phone as I have it locked, but all the crucial numbers I would have in there anyway are always on my person.  

The habit of picking up money, phone, room key and ID card before I go anywhere is ingrained.    

Quote from floridabob in the 'Lurker' thread. 

It's important to have a contact in your phone labelled 'ICE' In Case of Emergency.

I always have some id on me when travelling as well as at least 2 business cards from hotel in case I'd drop somewhere on the street.

At home I leave detailed trip plan  and flight schedule in sealed envelope in visible place with note 'open if I don't return" so at least they have a chance to know where I went  if I'm gone for good. 

If you are iPhone user, you have “Emergency SOS” function on iOS11 which calls local emergency services automatically just by clicking the side button 5 times. It also sends text messages to your listed emergency contacts that you triggered SOS. Your medical condition/ medications can be viewed from a locked screen.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208076

Also don't forget if you ever find yourself as the person standing at the side of the road when someone else has collapsed or been in an accident and you / the doctor needs their details and their iPhone is locked someone can simply lift their finger and place it on the fingerprint reader to open the phone !  

I know this sounds SO bleeding obvious but the number of people I've mentioned that too who say they simply wouldn't have thought of it so it's worth flagging it up for use in an emergency situation.

This is also the same reason why one if wanting to be ULTRA careful should perhaps think of scanning your big toe into your phone instead of your finger as this would certainly bugger up a jealous BF who decides to try and use your finger against you while you drunkenly sleep to enable him to ready all your damning grindr messages  !  (joke !)