Jasper

<Arrested> Disgusting Farangs

Again with the false equivalences. These tourists WERE criminal and stupid and not just in Thailand. There are many countries where public indecency is a crime. There are also many countries where dropping your pants in a temple will get you into legal problems even more serious. Stop picking random countries with laws you don’t agree with until your own country sorts out it’s own inconsistencies. If you don’t like the laws, stay the fuck away.

.... we have the right to judge that to punish with draconian law a disrespect to a religion that may be nothing more than a fantasy is also an abomination.

And we also have the right to decide what is "draconian" and what isn't. We may all have different views on what constitutes "draconian".

In any case, judging by western standards is a waste of time and totally irrelevant if the offence doesn't occur in a western country.

And we also have the right to decide what is "draconian" and what isn't. We may all have different views on what constitutes "draconian".

In any case, judging by western standards is a waste of time and totally irrelevant if the offence doesn't occur in a western country.

a447, I also let you have the last word in your discussion, which is a waste of time since you make a distinction of "western" standards while I believe in human standards.

a447, I also let you have the last word in your discussion, which is a waste of time since you make a distinction of "western" standards while I believe in human standards.

If you believe in Human Standards then perhaps you should look at those laws that are Draconian in the US before pointing fingers. There are a number of areas where the HRW and HRC say the US needs to improve its Human Rights. Juvenile detention, immigration, national security. When talking about Draconian, how about the ridiculous 3 strike rule. Police brutality, particularly their over-reactions against minorities. After 400 years of killing and displacing Indian populations, the US is still poisoning their lands with ridiculous oil pipelines forced on them against their wishes.

Perhaps you should concentrate on some of those as Draconian before complaining about some idiot tourists being given a fine for exposing themselves in a temple.

I beg to differ though. Sorry but it is illegal in the us.https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/700

I'm afraid you are mistaken. Flag burning is LEGAL in the US, under two Supreme Court decisions. The Court ruled that it is protected free speech.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/29/politics/flag-burning-constitutional-donald-trump/index.html

You neglected to mention cultural standards.

No, I didn't neglect.  Cultural standards are part of the human Standards that should apply to all members of our species, regardless of nationality, race.  I'm not religious, but I think that the philosophy of Christ is a valuable part of these Standards. While cultural details may vary, the Standards should not.

If you believe in Human Standards then perhaps you should look at those laws that are Draconian in the US before pointing fingers. There are a number of areas where the HRW and HRC say the US needs to improve its Human Rights. Juvenile detention, immigration, national security. When talking about Draconian, how about the ridiculous 3 strike rule. Police brutality, particularly their over-reactions against minorities. After 400 years of killing and displacing Indian populations, the US is still poisoning their lands with ridiculous oil pipelines forced on them against their wishes.

Perhaps you should concentrate on some of those as Draconian before complaining about some idiot tourists being given a fine for exposing themselves in a temple.

I don't ignore the violations of human rights in my country, and I have always voted for a government that corrects the violations and protects human rights.  I reject your notion that the laws in my country have to be perfect before I can judge the laws in other countries.  

we can think whatever we wish about other countries laws and whether we are right or wrong it doesn't change fact that when visiting we are subject of their laws not what we thing is right or wrong . Those guys will pay some price for forgetting it, breaking law and being stupid enough to boost about it right away.