abidismaili

Are go go bars and show bars open on public holidays?

Just wondering. I booked a ticket for my next trip and I see (I should have checked this before, my mistake) that the week I am in Thailand is a week with 2 public holidays: 22 and 23 October.

Can I savely assume go go bars will be open? The show in The Venue in Jomtien will happen on such a day? Never before been on one of their public holidays in Thailand (or I have been, but didn't notice it). So I don't know what will happen then.

In my country for sure most shops will be closed for example. So basically only shops are closed? But show bars will be open these 2 days?

You need to check Buddhist holidays, 5 days in a year rather than public holidays as Buddhist holidays are prohibited to sell alcohol therefore usually gogo bars would be closed from midnight on the previous night.

24 October is not a public holiday but Buddhist holiday Awk Phansa so likely bars would be closed from midnight 23 October and reopen on 25 October.

2018 Non Alcohol Days

・1 March

・29 May

・27 July

・28 July

・24 October

I happened  to be there on Vishaka Bucha, May 29th, Pattaya bars were opened but no alcohol was served till midnight so don't worry, just go.

One day during trip instead of beer you can drink water, no big sacrifice even for me who considers drinking water animaals only privilege  

Oh Pattaya bars were opened on Non-Alcohol days?

I know it depends on local police guidelines so maybe Bangkok police are stricter than Pattaya counterparts.

Jupiter closed on 29 May Vishaka Bucha this year so as many Patpong / Thaniya, Nana bars.

Oh Pattaya bars were opened on Non-Alcohol days?

I know it depends on local police guidelines so maybe Bangkok police are stricter than Pattaya counterparts.

Jupiter closed on 29 May Vishaka Bucha this year so as many Patpong / Thaniya, Nana bars.

definitely yes, may be few were closed but I don't recall any substantial difference , they just informed that no beer today.

For me it was blessing as one Copa boy who is bartender somewhere else during day because of ban was off from that job  and I could snatch him right after arriving early afternoon

Whilst unsure I would also be careful about the 13th October - the very sad anniversary of the death of their beloved King, I was in Pattaya on the actual day when I guess understandably the bars were all closed down, but then the following year coincided with a visit and the same occurred with the police sweeping through night life areas. Obviously the official morning is now over but I expect some  restrictions might come in again this anniversary so perhaps if feasible a day to avoid as one very sad for the Thai people!