Guest buaseng

Bomb/Grenade attacks in Bangkok

Guest buaseng

Bangkok Post Breaking news report

BOMB ATTACKS REPORTED IN BANGKOK

(BangkokPost.com)

A number of bombs or grenades have exploded in Bangkok early on New Year's Eve, wounding dozens of people in at least two places.

Explosions occurred near the Klong Toey market, and near the Victory Monument.

The coordinated attacks are unprecedented in Bangkok.

However, political feelings have run high for more than a year, and there have been reports of political violence aimed against the military junta which ousted ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra on Sept 19 - primarily the suspected burning of schools.

The numer and extent of casualties were unknown immediately after the explosions. Graphic footage shown on television showed damaged vehicles and blood-stained streets and pavements.

Except for the insurgency in the four southernmost provinces, there has been no deadly political violence in Thailand for more than 14 years, when a popular protest overthrew the last military government. In that case, the violence was by the government and armed forces.

Martial law was lifted in Bangkok and surrounding provinces a month ago, but the military is authorised to act when necessary.

The junta leader and army commander, Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin, is currently out of Thailand, on the Haj in Saudi Arabia, and will not return to Thailand until Thursday.

Officials said Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont was preparing to speak to the press and the nation.

Guest travelerjim

Seven Bombs Rock Bangkok, Kill two...

from The Nation:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/12/31...es_30022985.php .

Seven explosives went off almost simultaneously in Bangkok, injuring at least 20 people as the revellers were about to start celebrating the New Year's eve.

Two people were killed and 20 injured at the Victory Monument when a powerful bomb went off near a bus station at about 6.30 pm.

One person was dead near the Big C supermarket, Sapan Kwai branch, where witness saw a man dropped a grenade from a pedestrian bridge just over the police box.

At the Klong Toei area near the Na Ranong intersection, around the same time, a bomb hidden in a trash can near a Chinese spirit shrine exploded and injured two bypassers. The explosion caused a secondary explosion to a number of cookinggas cylinders that were situated nearby.

At the Seacon Square Shopping Mall, a loud explosion went off at the parking space, creating a panic but no injury.

Authorities ordered all shoppers to evacuate the mall, one of Bangkok largest, and all shops to close down for business.

Deputy Governor of Bangkok, Wallop Suwandee, announced that all the events designated for the New Year's even countdown celebration have been cancelled.

(see more of the article on The Nation's website).

----------------------------

Sad news indeed...Please be watchful ......Personally I am reconsidering my plans for New Years Eve in Pattaya tonight.

TravelerJim

From BBC

Last Updated: Sunday, 31 December 2006, 12:56 GMT

Bangkok hit by series of blasts

At least 12 people have been hurt in four explosions in the Thai capital, Bangkok, reports quoting police say.

The blasts took place within 90 minutes of each other, with the first one at the Victory Monument in the centre.

Further explosions were reported at two police posts in Bangkok's northern suburbs and in the Klong Tuey area.

Thailand's prime minister was ousted in a military coup in September while the country's south has seen a wave of attacks blamed on Muslim separatists.

Police are investigating suspicious packages found at another six locations in the capital, a police spokesman told the iTV television network.

New YEAR CELEBRATIONS IN DOUBT?

It was reported on the news here this morning that foreigners were also among the injured from last nights bomb attacks in Bangkok. According to the NZ Herald's website the first explosion took place on Sukhumvit Road but this did not injure anybody. The most serious blast hit the Victory Monument in central Bangkok at 5.30pm, where 13 people were injured,

The Herald also reported:-

The health ministry's information centre said two men -- a 36-year-old and a 61-year-old -- had been killed in the attacks, while 26 people were injured.

This is a most worrisome development for Thailand and is something I have feared would happen for some time. The very obvious and serious implication for Thai tourism, and Thailand itself, doesn

Guest ear wig

Three more bombs now gone off world trade center.

BANGKOK: -- Three more bombs exploded in the heart of Bangkok once the new year started, severely injuring many foreign tourists.

The two bombs exploded nearly at the same time seconds after the new year started and another bomb exploded about half an hour after midnight.

The first bomb exploded at the Best Sea Foods restaurant on the Saen Saeb Canal near the Pratunam Pier.

Two foreigners and a Thai were injured. One of the foreigners had one leg amputated by the blast. The foreign tourists were having dinner at the restaurant.

Police said the bomb was hidden in a tire at the pier.

The second bomb exploded at a public telephone booth at the pedestrian flyover linking Central World and Kesorn Plaza. Several foreigners were injured and rushed to hospitals.

The third bomb exploded at the Buddy Bar on Khao Sarn Road.

-- The Nation 2006-12-31

post-11-1167600238_thumb.jpg

Guest BKKvisitor

Although it was just a matter of time before terrorism arrived in Bangkok, it still comes as a surprise. I believe that most--if not all--of us have moved about BKK in a feeling a relative security. I always felt safer there than in most US, European and South American cities. Now we are confronted with a moment of pause.

This is an event coup leaders feared more than us. They took a chance and reached out to the the insurgents in the south, hoping that it would stem this very type of attack. That move pales in the face of the bombings. The hard-line Thaksin is suddenly getting an unexpected boost. It won't be long before comparisons will be made.

Strategically, the bombs were planted in locations to terrorize Thais and tourists alike. Terrorism has an immediate and chilling effect on tourism. This was certainly the case in the new York and London following attacks in those cities. And of course Bali.

If the new government doesn't move swiftly and deliberately in response, leaders will appear irresolute and they did in their attempts to stop in flow of speculative foreign currency.

I use to chuckle when passing by the entrance to the Dusit Thani Hotel and watch the guards flash their mirrors under the entering motor vehicle. Think I'll lose that. Think about the outcome if a bomb was exploded on Soi 4 between Balcony and Telephone?

Meanwhile, I intend, for now, to keep my upcoming reservation.

It is a very sad situation for sure. Having the unexploded bombs will hopefully give the authorities some better insight into who is behind it all. Until we know for sure who did it I don't think it's helpful to blame the terrorists from the south or Thaksin's loyalists.

Guest BKKvisitor

"Until we know for sure who did it I don't think it's helpful to blame the terrorists from the south or Thaksin's loyalists"

------------

You're absolutely right. It's most likely disgruntled ladyboys. How foolish of me to suspect insurgents who have been doing the same thing in the south for years, and threatened to to do the same in Bangkok.

Thank you for your politically correct observation.

Guest NorthStar

I agree it is premature to blame the muslims and smacks of stereotyping. It is foolish in the extreme to suggest possible effective bomb target points that would particularly hurt the gay community.

Personally, I've heard four bombs in my life - you can read my post from London of 7/7/05 on one of the other boards. The victory of terrorists is not to kill and injure a few people but to terrorise the masses. Terrorism is defeated when ordinary folk refuse to be panicked or terrorised.

You will fire a small shot against terrorism when you book your next flight to Thailand.

You're absolutely right. It's most likely disgruntled ladyboys. How foolish of me to suspect insurgents who have been doing the same thing in the south for years, and threatened to to do the same in Bangkok.

Thank you for your politically correct observation.

Well, from what I have been reading this attack does not exactly fit the MO of the southern insurgents. Do they drop grenades on people? Do they set up synchronized explosions? And why would they do this when the gov't has been making overtures to them since the coup? If it is them they have to know that the gov't will have to make a big show of cracking down on them. Who has the most to gain here?

Remember how the Spanish gov't immediately blamed ETA for the Madrid train bombings only to discover that it was in fact al Qaida instead? I'm just saying jumping to conclusions isn't very helpful when an investigation hasn't even begun. Likewise the unnamed "intelligence authorities" blaming factions loyal to Thaksin ought to wait until there's an actual answer. One report quotes a professor from Chululangkorn Univ. as saying it is obviously not the southern insurgents but is Thaksin's people.

Maybe it's not an either-or situation.

The first round of bombs at 1830,which look rather amateurish, may have nothing to do with the two bombs that went off shortly after midnight, especially since the latter two seem on the initial reports to be more powerful and sophisticated explosives, targeted at tourist areas.

It's entirely possible that there is more than one group of crazies at work here, with very different motives.

In any event, this is likely to seriously impact tourism in upcoming months.

Guest BKKvisitor

" Do they drop grenades on people? Do they set up synchronized explosions?"

------------

Actually, they've used explosives on numerous occasions. But since they don't have many overpasses in the south, they haven't had the opportunity to drop them before. And they've launched simultaneous attacks, although usually in threes.

As to the question about what they have to lose by attacking in Bangkok, it wouldn't even be a consideration. Terrorists have only one motivation: terrorize by any means available.

Could Thaksin's people be behind it? It's indeed a possibility. But if it is them, it would be their first attack whereas the insurgents have been at it for years.

Nevertheless we all seem to enjoy speculating on the incidents. After all, it beats discussing burgers and restaurants.

Most of us who are in Pattaya found out about the bombings within an hour of it happening. In my case, I was having dinner with friends when one received a phone call from his boyfriend who was in Bangkok. He told us what had happened, but it was too soon to have much information as to the details.

When we finished, a few of us went to the Corner Bar in Sunee Plaza. That bar has two large screen televisions and that's where we were able to catch up on more of the details. Meanwhile, many of the Thai New Year's Eve revelers were continually setting off fireworks almost directly in front of us. Of course, each one created a loud boom . . . somewhat eerie to hear explosions in light of the news.

However, that did not dampen the spirits of New Year's Eve goings on in Pattaya. As far as I know, despite cancellation of events in Bangkok and elsewhere in Thailand, no events in Pattaya were cancelled and there was no trouble here.

People in Pattaya seem to be reacting with shock and surprise, but without fear that bombings will occur here. Everything in Pattaya is proceeding normally. I was somewhat surprised that even a few hours after the Bangkok bombings, I saw no heightened police presence in any of the Pattaya tourist areas.

The latest news as to who is behind the bombings is, so far, pure speculation. I have been reading reports that government officials suspect that a radical group of supporters of Thaksin, opposed to the coup, are behind the bombings, but it is too soon for anyone to be certain. Thus far, no groups have claimed responsibility.

Some government higher-ups are advising people to remain in their homes today, especially in Bangkok, for fear of even more bombings, but there has not yet been any such official advice.

It is also too soon to know whether the bombings will have any effect on the currency exchange rates. Both today and tomorrow are banking holidays in Thailand, so new postings of exchange rates may not be available until Wednesday morning.

Guest buaseng

In any event, this is likely to seriously impact tourism in upcoming months.

I've just been speaking to a relation of mine who works for a major travel agency, which operates 24/7 all year round. She tells me that they have already been inundated today (in spite of it being a Public Holiday) with phone calls and emails from people wishing to cancel their Thailand holiday flights and bookings.

There's also a poll being run on CNN International's website asking whether the bombings will change people's plans on travel to Thailand. When I last checked the poll was running about 50:50, with half saying the bombings will stop them going to Thailand.

There's also a poll being run on CNN International's website asking whether the bombings will change people's plans on travel to Thailand. When I last checked the poll was running about 50:50, with half saying the bombings will stop them going to Thailand.

I wonder how many of those were actually planning on going? I have spoken to 4 friends who are headed to Thailand in the next 2 weeks and all are planning on going. None have cancelled and none had reservations about going. However, I think it all will depend on if these attacks continue.

Guest BKKvisitor

Northstar wrote:

"It is foolish in the extreme to suggest possible effective bomb target points that would particularly hurt the gay community."

---------------------------------------

Following the 9/11 and London attacks, the location of vulnerable targets were openly discussed in the news media. It''s worthwhile noting that none of those targets has been attacked.

Identifying these sites prompted government officials and facility managers to "harden" these targets.

You don't have to be a farang to know where the vulnerable sites are in the gay community in Bangkok. Thais know their city much better than we do. And soi 4 is one of the most vulnerable locations. How could it be hardened? By using the same method they use to keep out underage patrons. Checking those entering from Silom Rd. and inspecting packages would certainly be th first step.

Pointing out a target should prompt a response that makes the sites more secure. Being fearful of pointing out a target is burying your head in the sand.

Guest Pearl69er

"She tells me that they have already been inundated today (in spite of it being a Public Holiday) with phone calls and emails from people wishing to cancel their Thailand holiday flights and bookings."

Maybe they just heard that you would be in town.