Terry4

Engineer sentenced in shooting teenager

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2018/09/27/man-who-gunned-down-teen-driver-gets-10-years/

May I ask your views on this latest news where a Thai man tragically shot a teenager dead after they approached his vehicle after a road rage incident.

I guess you would have to watch the full vid ( second video on the link page ) I think is his dashcam video, to get to the crux of it all.

My opinion is the Thai man ( Engineer by profession as they call him ) should not have used the gun,BUT I have empathy for him,because I have no idea what I would of done had a group of irate teenagers approached my vehicle either, i tend to panic and may have done a silly thing too.

Its a tragedy and it breaks my heart to watch it.

I dont like violence of any kind and the second video did disturb me.

I must warn you not to watch it if violence disturbs you.

This reminds me of a dreadful shooting in the USA about 25 years ago. A 17 year old Japanese exchange student only two months in the USA was invited to a Halloween party along with the son of the family he was staying with. The boys could not find the correct house. So they approached a house with the intention of asking directions. They rang the bell. There was no answer. They turned around to return to their car when the owner of the house opened the front door holding a rifle. He shouted Freeze. The Japanese boy did not know what he meant and started to move towards him. He was shot dead in cold blood. 

The killer's defence was that in the near darkness he was scared for his life and fired in self defence. The jury was out for about 3 hours before returning a not guilty verdict. Japan was shocked by both the killing an the acquittal.

My opinion is the Thai man ( Engineer by profession as they call him ) should not have used the gun,BUT I have empathy for him,because I have no idea what I would of done had a group of irate teenagers approached my vehicle either, i tend to panic and may have done a silly thing too.

Well, in the USA  he would go to jail in all but a "stand your ground" state, as the rest of the article implies he may have been looking for a fight.  In America a jury would decide if he acted reasonably or offensively.