reader

Thailand's first human to human infections

From Bangkok Post

Human transmission of coronavirus confirmed in Thailand

Thailand has seen its first case of human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus inside the country, a senior Public Health official said on Friday.

The patient is a Thai taxi driver, Tanarak Pipat, deputy director-general of the Department of Disease Control, said on Friday.

"The Thai person who was infected does not have a record of travelling to China and it is likely that he was infected by a sick traveller from China," Dr Tanarak said.Previous cases in Thailand have all been either Chinese tourists or Thais who had visited China, where the virus originated.

This raised the number of confirmed infections in Thailand to 19.

Dr Sopon Iamsirithavorn, director of the Bureau of General Communicable Diseases, earlier told reporters on Friday morning that two cabbies who had picked up Chinese tourists later fell ill and sought treatment two days ago.  

The tourists had arrived in Thailand before the Chinese government suspended outbound trips by its citizens, he said.

Human-to-human transmission of the virus has also been confirmed in other countries - including Germany, Japan, South Korea and the United States, Dr Sopon said.

Dr Sopon Iamsirithavorn, director of the Bureau of General Communicable Diseases, earlier told reporters on Friday morning that two cabbies who had picked up Chinese tourists later fell ill and
sought treatment two days ago.  The tourists had arrived in Thailand before the Chinese government suspended outbound trips by its citizens, he said.

=======================================================

From South China Morning Post

Singapore closes borders to all Chinese travellers to stem spread of coronavirus

• The island nation is the first Southeast Asian country to bar all visitors from the mainland
  • It has also reported three new cases of the virus, bringing its total to 16, including the first Singaporean to be infected

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3048441/singapore-closes-borders-all-chinese-travellers-stem

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1847884/human-transmission-of-coronavirus-confirmed-in-thailand

NOTE -- This is among the most objective and comprehensive articles I've come across on this topic.

From NYTimes

How Bad Will the Coronavirus Outbreak Get?
Here Are 6 Key Factors

1. How contagious is the virus?
    It seems moderately infectious, similar to SARS.
  2. How deadly is the virus?
    It’s hard to know yet. But the mortality rate is probably less than 3 percent, much less than SARS.
  3. How long does it take to show symptoms?
    Possibly between 2 to 14 days, allowing the illness to go undetected.
  4. How much have infected people traveled?
    The virus spread quickly because it started in a transportation hub.
  5. How effective will the response be?
    The W.H.O. has praised China’s efforts, but critics fear lockdown measures may not be enough.
  6. How long will it take to develop a vaccine?
    A vaccine is still a year away — at minimum.
Continues with supporting data and graphics

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/asia/china-coronavirus-contain.html

Flying to Cebu City in the Philippines in 10 days. My friend there tells me all Face Masks are SOLD OUT.

So day I tried to buy Face Masks here in Santa Fe, NM, USA. Also all sold!! I bought the last 2 at Walmart. I will go by my Doctor's office tomorrow and ask if they have any masks there.

WHAT TO SAY!! My partner says, STAY HOME...

From Bangkok Post

Coronavirus explained: why we shouldn't panic

A scientist at Mahidol University explains Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov) and predicts the likelihood of a pandemic. Cases of a new coronavirus in China have jumped to over 9,600, with 213 deaths, local health authorities said on Friday, after the World Health Organization declared the outbreak a global public health emergency overnight. — Video by Patpon Sabpaitoon

https://www.bangkokpost.com/vdo/thailand/1848434/coronavirus-explained-why-we-shouldnt-panic#cxrecs_s