reader

Govt unveils ‘business class’ quarantine option

From The Nation

Wealthy returnees are being given the choice of a luxury upgrade for their mandatory quarantine, the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) revealed on Thursday (May 21).

State officials have been providing the alternative state quarantine for people “who need more options” during the 14-day quarantine period, said CCSA spokesman Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin.

Currently, returnees are either sent to local quarantine (provided by provincial authorities) or state quarantine (government facilities provided for people who arrive on planes).

However, a third option is available for people who are willing to pay more for a luxury, high-end service. The government calls it “alternate state quarantine”, and is collaborating with luxury hotel operators and hospitals to provide the special privilege.

Among those who can take advantage of the option are foreign returnees with Thai work permits – mostly businesspeople and diplomats. Many are willing to pay more for the quarantine upgrade.

Dr Taweesin added that the government may not be able to continue providing free state quarantine once the state of emergency was lifted and more people began arriving from other countries. However, travellers would be able to choose paid accommodation at hotels that had partnered with hospitals to provide healthcare services. The standard of hotels would range from two-star to luxury.

He also invited interested hotels and hospitals to join the programme by contacting the CCSA with details of the preparations they have made.

Meanwhile, foreign students and others have asked the government to lift the travel ban against low-risk countries when the third phase of lockdown easing is implemented. They point out that the government has a tracking system that can call people up for testing, so it might be possible for foreigners to visit Thailand for purposes other than business, including students who attend international schools in Bangkok, which are scheduled to open on June 1.

From CNBC

Thai hotels are offering luxury quarantine packages as an alternative to state-funded isolation

Thailand is allowing five Bangkok hotels to offer luxury isolation packages as an alternative to the government-funded 14-day quarantine for returning travelers.

International passenger flights have been banned from entering Thailand until the end of June, but the government has chartered flights to repatriate citizens who have been stranded abroad amid the coronavirus crisis.

Anyone returning to the country is required to spend 14 days in state-designated quarantine facilities, most of which are hotels, with local media reporting that around 80,000 people have been quarantined to date.

Now, the Thai government has approved five hotels in the capital to provide packages for anyone wanting to self-fund a more premium isolation period.

Ranging from 32,000 Thai baht ($1,016) to 60,000 baht ($1,904) for a two-week stay, the resorts are offering perks like doctors’ consultations and meals to Thai citizens and expat workers who return to the kingdom from overseas. It’s currently unclear whether the offer will be extended to regular tourists when, and if, international passenger flights resume.

Mövenpick BDMS Wellness Resort Bangkok

The 14-day “Health Watch” package offered by the Mövenpick BDMS Wellness Resort costs 50,000 baht and offers luxury accommodation in a single-occupancy “Wellness Suite.”

As well as being provided with three meals a day, guests will receive an initial consultation with a doctor, daily health monitoring under a nurse’s supervision, “immune system enhancing supplements” and a Covid-19 test at the end of their stay.

The package was initially only available until June 30, but has been extended until July 31.

Qiu Hotel

Bangkok’s Qiu Hotel is offering the most wallet-friendly package at 32,000 baht per person, which covers a 16-day, 15-night stay that includes three daily meals and a ride to and from the airport.

Qiu’s package also includes two Covid-19 tests and round-the-clock access to ambulance services, hospital visits and video consultations with local doctors.

The Idle Residence

A two-week quarantine in the Idle Residence ranges from 50,000 baht for a superior room to 60,000 baht for a junior suite.

The hotel has drafted in nurses from private health-care chain Samitivej Hospital to provide 24-hour care for guests in quarantine, and is also offering a “virtual hospital” to put them in touch with health-care professionals without going to a clinic.

Grand Richmond Hotel

The Grand Richmond is offering a 15-night quarantine package for 55,000 baht per person, with nurses from nearby Vibhavadi Hospital on 24-hour standby for guests. 

Guests will be put up in executive deluxe rooms on the 29th to 34th floors of the hotel, and are provided with three meals a day and a free minibar on their day of arrival.

Royal Benja Hotel

Quarantining at the Royal Benja comes with a price tag of 45,000 baht per person for a two-week stay.

The hotel’s package includes three meals a day, discounted room service and a shuttle from the airport. 

Nurses will be on hand to care for guests in quarantine at the hotel, and the package also includes two Covid-19 tests as well as an ambulance service and video calls with local doctors.

2 hours ago, reader said:

Royal Benja Hotel

Quarantining at the Royal Benja comes with a price tag of 45,000 baht per person for a two-week stay.

The hotel’s package includes three meals a day, discounted room service and a shuttle from the airport. 

Nurses will be on hand to care for guests in quarantine at the hotel, and the package also includes two Covid-19 tests as well as an ambulance service and video calls with local doctors.

if somebody must to be locked somewhere I's opt for that hotel as I recall rooms being quite big so at least no threat of claustrophobic feeling for a while 

5 minutes ago, muscfair said:

No tourists want to be quarantines for 14 days if they are there for a holiday. That's crazy and not practical.

correct , but plenty may change between one takes off from say, New York and lands in Bkk 24 hrs later.

Danger of announcement of sudden lock down will  be with us for a while, perhaps until we have reliable vaccine or herd immunity

1 hour ago, muscfair said:

No tourists want to be quarantines for 14 days if they are there for a holiday. That's crazy and not practical.

It's not intended for tourists.  That is 100% clear.  It's not intended for tourists.  This is for the few business work visa and similar types.  

I think we all really can and should wait until there is an actual set of rules for tourists before criticizing.

Agreed, but surely if there are vacancies and a down payment is offered we wouldn't be turned down?

My concern is that I could leave LHR perfectly fit but, after twelve plus hours on board, pick -up the virus.  On Monday, two hundred Thais returned home  and a worrying number (twenty?) showed symptoms of fever at BKK. I can't be the only one who has often picked-up a bug on that journey.

40 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Agreed, but surely if there are vacancies and a down payment is offered we wouldn't be turned down?

I don't think I understand the question.  Right now, visa-exempt and Tourist Viaa holders (and ED visa holders and O visa holders and O-A visa holders (and more)) simply cannot board an aircraft to fly to Thailand or get past immigration.  I don't think vacancies or down-payments make a diff.

50 minutes ago, Londoner said:

My concern is that I could leave LHR perfectly fit but, after twelve plus hours on board, pick -up the virus.  On Monday, two hundred Thais returned home  and a worrying number (twenty?) showed symptoms of fever at BKK. I can't be the only one who has often picked-up a bug on that journey.

A very legitimate concern.  I am not sure that symptoms develop that quickly, but certainly exposure in transit is a risk once travel is possible.  There was a similar story on a recent repatriation flight from S. Korea.  Several Thais on that flight had fevers on arrival.  [The mandatory quarantine of course addresses this risk as far letting people in who could spread the virus.]

Another unfortunate take-away from the repeated stories that the only new cases in Thailand are individuals who have just repatriated is that it can only delay reopening of the borders.  It shows the risk of letting people back in.  

17 minutes ago, muscfair said:

Most of the people who go to Thailand are tourists.

Not many people are on work permit because most jobs in Thailand are closed to foreigners except English teachers.

Those are not many on retirement or marriage visas who would not mind 14 days quarantine because they live long term there. 

You have to pay for those hotel lodging, food etc yourself.

I don't understand the point you are trying to make.  Sathorn is full of foreigners working in Thailand.  There are lots and lots of Western, Japanese, Chinese, South Korean, etc., etc., businesses with operations in Thailand.  Foreign executives, managers, etc., are sent from their home country to work there on work visas.  There are social clubs for expats like this in Bangkok.  These are the people that the programs currently designed for.  

There are many, many newspaper articles discussing the issue that the SE Asian countries are addressing right now - restarting the supply chain.  None of this is secret.

The Thai government has not opened up to expats on long-term visas or on marriage visas.  Maybe they will have the exact same rules for those people.  But that hasn't been announced yet.  

My point remains:  Don't say it something is "crazy" and "not practical" for tourists when the Thai government has not said that it applies to tourists.

Simple point.  Wait until they say what the rules will be for tourists, and then criticize those. 

2 hours ago, DivineMadman said:

My point remains:  Don't say it something is "crazy" and "not practical" for tourists when the Thai government has not said that it applies to tourists.

Simple point.  Wait until they say what the rules will be for tourists, and then criticize those. 

Patience can be such a challenge....