TotallyOz

Predictions for Super Tuesday?

I am not sure what will happen on the day that many say will reveal the final nominees of each party. I am guessing that Clinton's team has prepared well for this event and she will take many of the states but I would not be shocked to see the Obama campaign pull out many surprises and do better than most expect.

On the Republican side, I do think McCain has the momentum. Romney may pick up some states as well but I think Jonn McCain will be the victor in the majority of the states.

I hated to see Edwards leave the race. The longer he was in, the more I liked him.

I also wonder if Nader will once again join the race. He has said that since Edwards dropped out that there was no one left who wasn't bought by corporate money and he would join if he could raise 10 million and get volunteer attorneys in each state to work on getting him on the ballot.

I don't think any race has been so much fun to watch in years as the one we have going on now.

My prediction is for McCain to win. If not enough to seal the nomination, enough to dominate the republican side.

On the democratic side, I think Obama will do better than polls suggest as he continues to surge. But, I think Hillary will 'win' super tuesday. I think with the proportional distribution on the democractic side, it's tough to call how that one will go beyond that. If Obama splits super tuesday with Hillary, then I think her candidacy is in deep trouble and may be doomed.

• Members

I live in Utah and I'm willing to bet that Romney takes the Republican vote here by at least 75%.

Our primary is "closed" which means you have to be a registered Republican to vote on the Republican ticket. (Can't even get a Republican ballot without registering for that party.) Unaffiliated voters and registered Democrats are only given the Democratic ballot.

I'm betting Obama will take the Democratic vote in Utah with 50-60%.

Nationally, I suspect McCain will take Super Tuesday but still will not have enough delegates to make it a slam dunk. I predict Hillary will get the most votes for the Democrats but Obama will not be far behind. I think the Democratic ticket will be a "behind-the-scenes" deal since the delegate count for Hillary and Obama will be too close.

But, I seriously doubt we'll see a blended ticket with Hillary for Pres and Obama as VP. Too much bad blood between them. But, if Obama gets the delegates, I expect him to select Edwards as a running mate.

• Members
Let's not forget that there is a Super Sunday before there is a Super Tuesday!

Well right now the Giants are leading and I hope they hold the lead to win !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the election. There are no winner take all in the Democratic Primary process. So even if Hillary wins more states I predict she and Obama will be nearly equal in Delegates after Tuesday. This election is long from over. A Clinton/Obama ticket, I don't think it will happen and why put a loser (Edwards) on the ticket when each are preaching change.

The Republicans do have some winner take all states Tuesday and it looks like McCain is leading in most of them . I think McCain comes close to winning enough delegates to get him the Republican nomination Tuesday. Actually if McCain wins even non Republicans should be happy that the Extreme Right wingers are losin their grip on the Republican party and the moderates are about to take their party back.

I'm not sure that McCain's success on Tuesday equals success for Republicans. As I have said many times before, like many other GOPers, I'm a fiscal issues voter rather than a social issues voter. While I have opinions on issues like abortion (believe in a woman's right to choose) and gay marriage ( I completely support it), neither are issues which will affect the way that I cast my ballot on election day. I will cast my vote for the candidate who I believe offers the greatest budgetary and fiscal accountability as well as one who would bring accountability and sanity back to US Foreign policy.

Unfortunately. despite his recent insistence that he's a Reagan Republican, his history speaks differently to folks like me.

To me, a McCain nomination from the GOP is nothing more than waiving the white flag and handing the presidency to Barack Obama. If faced between a choice between McCain and Obama, I would be more likely to vote for Obama though I have serious reservations about an Obama foreign policy agenda. In a McCain-Clinton race, I'd be most likely to stay home and not vote.

Guest StuCotts

It's good to see two superb hopefuls on the Dem side, which would ordinarily count itself blessed to have even just one aceptable one. I find myself rooting for both. As president, either one would be in a good position to rescue America's prestige and credibility in the world from their present disastrous state. My view of what any new set of leaders can do in the short term about the deteriorating domestic economy or the increasingly valueless US$ isn't sanguine.

On the Rep side, it's comforting to witness the triumphal resurrection of a genuine man of principle, however many of his principles I don't agree with. Romney has Con Man written all over him, not to mention his five useless sons. Except for his bottomless pockets, he would have already suffered the fate I think he'll meet tomorrow.

Come the election, a Clinton/Obama (or vice versa) ticket would drive the Dems delirious. I give it few if any chances of making it into office. For all the talk of the electorate's longing for change, I think Mr. & Mrs. America, whose hostility to powerful women and African Americans is at best thinly disguised, might stand still for one revolutionary change, but not two.

Whatever else a McCain candidacy would achieve, it would mark the Rep voters' long-overdue fatigue with the shrillest rantings of the right-wing media's most rancid turds, whose every word damages America.

• Members

My only prediction is that Super Tuesday will come and go. The only ones who will actually win anything will be the radio and cable news pundits who get to refurbish their material with the latest exit polls in their continued attempts to make their views and comments seem prescient and influential in shaping the national psyche.

No decision for dems. The Kibuki dance continues with attempts to win the expectation game since there will be little difference in delegate takes. I dislike disingenous spin or any spin for that matter -- called propaganda in days past. It will be interesting to see, if Hillary falls short of expectations, whether they can keep Bill from falling out of the 12 step program.

Obama would have to be brain dead to enter into any ticket with Clinton. (I think he is not.) She offers him nothing as his VP since almost all of her supporters are very unlikely to vote Republican or sit out the election. Her negatives are legendary, again the potential to hurt more than help a ticket.

As her VP he would spend four years, possibly eight years, heaven forbid, in the desert waiting for his turn, picking up Clinton tarnish all along the way, much as Gore did. Absent Obama as the top dem candidate many of his independent supporters might vote McCain given the opportunity. If this turns out not to be Obama's time he would be better served running for Illinois Governor rather than wandering the desert for four/eight years.

The RRRR (republican radio rabid right) will shoot their last wad in an all out, last ditch effort to throw McCain under the bus. I admire their pluck in their willingness to give the WH to the other party along with both houses of the legislature rather than install a fiscal conservative as a road block to Spending and a bulwark of Defense. I guess even the chance of half a loaf is not to their taste. Desperate people take desperate measures hoping Hillary will surface to the top and then be brought down by her high negatives, even against flip-flop Mitt. Ummm... sort of expecting (praying?) the dems fall on Hillary's sword it seems.

• Members
Romney has Con Man written all over him, not to mention his five useless sons. Except for his bottomless pockets, he would have already suffered the fate I think he'll meet tomorrow.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with Romney. I lived in Utah when he was in charge of the Olympics. There were a lot of dirty deals done before Romney was appointed to "save" the Olympics and I think he was up to eyeballs covering up the the bribes.

He also had a reputation as a yeller and screamer. More than once the news media caught him having a tantrum when he didn't think there were cameras around.

While he might have the ability to turn around a company and make it temporarily profitable, I'm not sure he'd have the same effect on an entire nation. I also recall how ineffective he was during his last two years as Govenor. He was out-of-state more than he was home. I view him as more of a sprinter and not able to endure a marathon.

Is he really what he need in the White House?

Guest epigonos

One should never mix a discussion of men or women of principles with a discussion of politics. The one thing no politician has is principles â€â€œ that is if they want to get elected.

Here in California it has been fascinating to listen to John McCain’s ads regarding immigration. Even though he was a leader of the recent immigration reform movement you would think that he is now a major backer of the border fence crowd and he certainly never mentions the fact that he was a proponent of the guest worker concept. John McCain will sell his soul to the religious right of the Republican Party to get their votes in November and that might even mean that he would accept someone like Mike Huckabee as a running mate. If and when he does that I stay home in November.

Neither Hilary Clinton nor Barak Obama has anything to gain from placing the other on the ticket as Vice-President. Please note that Bill Richardson of New Mexico as NOT made an endorsement thus far. He is definitely waiting to see where the chips fall today. Being Hispanic he has a great deal to offer to either candidate as a running mate. Neither Clinton nor Obama are strong in the Hispanic community and Richardson being a former Hispanic Governor of a swing state, in the last election, certainly is.

Guest epigonos

Well after the disgusting display, last night, of John McCain kissing Mike Huckabee’s ass all over national T.V. my money is on a Republican ticket of McCain and Huckabee. I am a fiscal reactionary Republican and there is NO WAY, on this earth, that I will vote for a ticket which includes Huckabee. Now I won’t vote for Clinton or Obama either so I guess that means I just DO NOT vote for the office of President in November.

About the only positive outcome of a McCain/Huckabee ticket is that, just maybe, after it looses all but four or five states in the South the god damn religious righters will finally come to understand that that the vast majority of people in this country disavow their bigoted social agenda. Maybe then we can return to the old Republican Party agenda – small government and a government that stays out of the private life of its citizens. But in the end the religious right will most likely complain that if Huckabee had been the Party’s Presidential candidate he would have won. Damn these people are wonderful at self delusion.

Yea you’re right I’m pissed and bitter!!!!!

Guest StuCotts
Well after the disgusting display, last night, of John McCain kissing Mike Huckabee’s ass all over national T.V. my money is on a Republican ticket of McCain and Huckabee. I am a fiscal reactionary Republican and there is NO WAY, on this earth, that I will vote for a ticket which includes Huckabee. Now I won’t vote for Clinton or Obama either so I guess that means I just DO NOT vote for the office of President in November.

About the only positive outcome of a McCain/Huckabee ticket is that, just maybe, after it looses all but four or five states in the South the god damn religious righters will finally come to understand that that the vast majority of people in this country disavow their bigoted social agenda. Maybe then we can return to the old Republican Party agenda – small government and a government that stays out of the private life of its citizens. But in the end the religious right will most likely complain that if Huckabee had been the Party’s Presidential candidate he would have won. Damn these people are wonderful at self delusion.

Yea you’re right I’m pissed and bitter!!!!!

1. Resign yourself to Huckabee. Romney will fold before he does.

2. The religious right will not back down. People who feel they have unmediated contact with God don't, certainly not if they enjoy their kind of support in the media.

3. The old Rep party agenda? Short of the return of Taft and Rockefeller from the dead to have an old-fashioned, relatively gentlemanly tussle over the soul of the party, no chance.

On a different note, the punditocracy continues to show every sign of retardation. How else to explain the consistent wrongheadedness of their analyses and forecasts? They screwed up on Massachusetts, New Jersey and California -- not minor states -- and probably more that I'm not aware of. And yet they continue to hold down handsomely salaried jobs. I obviously chose the wrong vocation.

Romney folding surprised me, but I think it makes sense. Once you've lost it, you're not getting it back at this stage of the race. The conservatives seem to be livid, but I think McCain is a lot more conservative than they give him credit for, he just doesn't kiss ass on the right very well. I think he's much more electable because he has a image as a maverick. Read an interesting letter from Bob Dole to Rush Limbaugh about McCain a few days ago. Bob Dole was pointing out that McCain's voting record by some measure was as conservative as Jesse Helms!

On the democratic side, I also think Hillary has lost it. She's lost the momentum, the fund raising, and Obama has overcome his lack of experience issue to be viewed as very viable. I think the slow bleed out for her started tuesday. We'll see.