TotallyOz

A visit to Burma

I met a guy who had just traveled all around Asia. He is now in Thailand studying Muay Thai. He was in Burma for a month. He has just gotten out of the Israeli Army and taking a long deserved holiday. He said that of all the places he has visited, and he has been to just about every country in Asia, that Burma was the most friendly.

This took me by surprise and he said that often he was the lone tourist and he felt perfectly safe there and loved the country.

I would not visit Burma as I don't want my money going to support the military there. But, has anyone else been there? Liked it?

I just got back from a long trip to SE Asia. I didn't go to Burma, but many who did.

They echoed the comments about the friendliness of the people, and that many of them are quite desperate for the tourist dollar. I would have gone if we'd had more time. I think isolation suits the military government just fine. I think visiting and spending a few bucks is more likely to help than to hurt.

my .02

• Members

The first time I was at the border there, Burma was not allowing foreigners into the country (except Thais for merchant reasons). But the second visit we were allowed in, so I ventured forth and enjoyed the little town there for a while. It was like time-travel as they were not very advanced. Since white foreigners like myself hadn't been admitted for a long time, I was a bit of a curiosity. Yet every one seemed quite friendly. I would love to vist there as well as Laos.