Guest Cooper

And the Oscar Goes to....

I enjoy spending a rainy afternoon at the movies especially viewing them at a Times Square theater. All the new releases are available and taking several escalators to your theater is typical NYC. The theaters have stadium style seating and are clean/comfortable. The surround sound systems are state of the art.

This year I was interested in seeing all the movies nominated for an Oscar.

The Reader

Doubt

Milk

Slumdog Millionaire

Benjamin Button

The only one yet to be seen is Benjamin Button. I enjoyed all the others but the one that stands out most in my mind is Slumdog Millionaire. Since I don't like to give away a plot, I will say that I'd highly recommend the movie if you haven't seen it yet. For those of you who have, do you also think it will take home the Oscar for Best Movie?

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who's seen Benjamin Button. Some people told me it isn't as good as the others but I would like to hear what you have to say.

Coop

Guest StuCotts
Wish I had input to offer... alas I'm strictly a DVD release movie fan.

Ditto. I gave up going to movie houses long ago because I couldn't take the comportment of the audiences any more.

I have a second-hand answer for Cooper. My consultant on such matters tells me that Slumdog has won every award it's been nominated for so far. So why not the Oscar?

He also saw Button, which some criticize for being long and heavy going. He loved it and got a few good cries out of it. Take your pick.

On the subject of awards, Penelope Cruz, who can't catch a break from any award givers on this side of the Atlantic, won the BAFTA one for supporting actress in Vicky Cristina Barcelona.

I actually watched the ceremony on BBC America, hoping that the host would be the superhumanly clever and articulate Stephen Fry, who has had that job in the past. Instead it was Jonathan Ross, who is hugely popular in the UK. I don't understand why. Whenever he speaks all I hear is his major speech defect, which makes him sound like Elmer Fudd with a British accent. Example: the ceremony was at the Woyal Opewa House.

I want to see them all. I have had limited access but hope to find them soon. I did see Milk and loved it. Sean Penn DESERVES something for this performance.

I agree that Sean Penn did an excellent job in his role as Harvey Milk and, if it wasn't for the resurrection of Mickey Rourke's career, he probably would win the Oscar for best actor. For the past few years the supermarket tabloids have been having a field day reporting on Rourke's bad behavior. I still recall that unrecognizable mug shot of him after his arrest... Hollywood loves to see someone turn their lives around and make a successful come back. It sells and fans love it. So, my prediction is Mickey Rourke for Best Actor. Btw, has anyone seen the movie "The Wrestler"?

The Reader

Doubt

Milk

Slumdog Millionaire

Benjamin Button

Correction:

Doubt was not nominated for Best Picture. Substitute it with: Frost/Nixon

LOL... Next movie on my "to see" list.

• Members

I've yet to see The Reader or Benny Button. Of the rest, I really liked Slumdog Millionaire. I wonder how many people who have enjoyed this movie, realize that the brothers at the center of the plot are portrayed as Muslim rather than Hindi. I enjoyed the rest all for differing reasons. I thought Doubt was a clever mind game with some stellar acting especially by Viola Davis (yeah and some over acting too by a few of the rest). I'm not certain how many people got the point that suspicion about the Priest was a smokescreen for the real motivating doubt which was the loss of faith by the Mother Superior revealed only in the last scene. Although I prefer my historical flix with swords and ball gowns of 1800 or before, I enjoyed the nostalgia of both Frost/Nixon and Milk. I felt somewhat uneasy with the hagiography of Milk until the end when I understood why. In the last frames, when they disclosed the fate of all the portrayed, I realized that the Milk in the movie was the product of the revelations of the survivors of the AIDs crisis that followed most of whose finest accomplishments came in the movement Milk started. Trained in history, I had to remind myself that this was an entertainment not an historical account. The same is true of Frost/Nixon. Despite Langella's attempt to display of Nixon's "humanity," but I'm no more sympathetic to that evil man than i was before. The Reader's next

I also enjoyed the new Bond movie, Tropic Thunder and Iron Man but none are Oscar worthy.

I too have a penchant for DVD's at home where the popcorn is fresh, the butter real and the company unquestioned. My Netflix list is 100+ long. However, I have a disabled friend and the only way I can get him out of his apartment from time to time is to wheel him to a movie. We normally go during a weekday afternoon when the crowds are less problematic and the pop corn is somewhat fresher. I haven't been able to do anything about the ersatz butter.

Guest jackhammer91406
I enjoy spending a rainy afternoon at the movies especially viewing them at a Times Square theater. All the new releases are available and taking several escalators to your theater is typical NYC. The theaters have stadium style seating and are clean/comfortable. The surround sound systems are state of the art.

The Reader

Doubt

Milk

Slumdog Millionaire

Benjamin Button

The only one yet to be seen is Benjamin Button. I enjoyed all the others but the one that stands out most in my mind is Slumdog Millionaire. Since I don't like to give away a plot, I will say that I'd highly recommend the movie if you haven't seen it yet. For those of you who have, do you also think it will take home the Oscar for Best Movie?

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who's seen Benjamin Button. Some people told me it isn't as good as the others but I would like to hear what you have to say.

Coop

Mr Cooper,

Recently I had to fill out a ballot to vote for the awards and I agree with you about SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE. This film will probably win if the backlash campaign started by other studios is unsuccessful. This film has recently been accused of taking extreme advantage of the street kids used in the early parts of the film. This accusation appears unfounded since it seems the producers, in addition to taking care of the kids during filming, have also apparently put aside trust funds for the higher education of these children. Some reports say that the kids have been moved out of the ghettos and into better living situations to protect them. Dunno, but as I say, of the films you mentioned, this one seems to be the favorite.

I did see the Brad Pitt film (BENJAMIN BUTTON) and while I enjoyed it for what it was, it is not in the same league with any of the other films you mentioned. IMHO.

I thought Sean Penn's performance was outstanding as was Frank Langella's in FROST/NIXON.

Either of those two should win. Mickey Rourke winning would be a surprise to me and would only happen if Penn and Langella canceled each other out. Again IMHO.

This is one of the best years for performances and films across the board. Some difficult choices.

I thought Sean Penn's performance was outstanding as was Frank Langella's in FROST/NIXON.

This is one of the best years for performances and films across the board. Some difficult choices.

Mr. J Hammer, (we are very formal around here)

I agree "one of the best years for performances and films..." Since I mistakenly thought Doubt was up for Best Picture, I overlooked seeing Frost/Nixon. Well, I just returned from seeing it. Frank Langella gives an excellent and very believable performance as Richard M. Nixon. Excellent choice for Best Actor... After seeing the movie, I thought to myself, now that's a picture my father would have enjoyed. I don't think it has much of an appeal to a younger audience.

Tough decisions will have to be reached this year but it's definitely fun seeing all these great movies and actors.

Mr. Cooper

Guest jackhammer91406
Mr. J Hammer, (we are very formal around here)

Mr. Cooper

I have always called you Mr Cooper since the early days of my first trip to New York.

It is a sign of respect not meant in anyway to be construed otherwise. It was about that time that you achieved world famous status for your Gaiety reports and also became a moderator of some fame. So only respect is intended. :rolleyes:

Guest mineallmine

The Reader defineatly gets my vote! I really enjoyed it but I also really like the combination of Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio...maybe it goes back to the whole titanic thing...Jack! Jack!

I really enjoyed Milk as well a very compelling movie.

Benjamin Button was...interesting. Im still deciding wether I liked it or not. I kind of just feel blah about it to be honest.

• Members

Leo was not in The Reader- he was with Kate in Revolutionary Road. But I wouldn't mind if the young actor who was in The Reader became the next Leo.

It seems there are not so many moviegoers here, but I would ask one question- why is Streep getting so much acclaim for Doubt? It wasn't that hard of a role, and any number of actresses could have done it just as well.

Guest jackhammer91406

It seems there are not so many moviegoers here, but I would ask one question- why is Streep getting so much acclaim for Doubt? It wasn't that hard of a role, and any number of actresses could have done it just as well.

This is a subject that you and I will not agree on Lucky (what's new, add it to the list, :lol: )

but I think her performance in this role is very nuanced and not at all easy. I believe the role has enough degree of difficulty that in the hands of a lesser actor, it could have been a real mess. While I have not always liked her films (OUT OF AFRICA comes to mind) I have always felt that Ms. Streep deserved every accolade that came her way. I know there are some who consider her performance in this film to be scenery chewing of the first order. I would strongly disagree. I may have appreciation for her skills because of my background in the business, but I do not believe that was required to enjoy her performance.

Of course as with any piece of art whether performance or otherwise, individual taste will vary and I think there is no wrong answer. Each of us has our own tastes and appreciation. I would never presume to question your taste Lucky. You did ask and I gave you an honest answer.

She is an actor who brings new insight into every performance and in my opinion becomes a new character each time. It would be interesting to see her in a live performance to contrast any style differences.

• Members

JH, I read some of the comments on Streep's Sister Aloysius and thought she was chewing the scenery a bit up until that last scene. When she admits to Sister James that in her heart of hearts she questions the existence of G_d, all that overacting fell in place for me as a cover-up for her "Doubt". I still think Viola Davis' Mrs. Miller was the best acting in the film. Anthony Lake, in the New Yorker, dismissed this flick. in one short paragraph, as "humorless and risible; one small nudge, and it could have toppled over into camp." So much for all our posturing over this film.

"humorless and risible; one small nudge, and it could have toppled over into camp."

Would have been the better for it. Agree that Streep now gets treated as an icon no matter how ordinary the performance. Also hold with those who just did not see that much in Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance this time around. Just found the whole thing infinitely tiresome.

Guest mineallmine
Leo was not in The Reader- he was with Kate in Revolutionary Road. But I wouldn't mind if the young actor who was in The Reader became the next Leo.

Yes Lucky, you were right! I was getting my films mixed up sorry! I saw them both and really enjoyed them.

Just a reminder, if you're thinking of seeing a nominated movie or actor before Oscar night, there isn't much time left. The Oscars will be awarded this coming Sunday, February 22nd. I've always found watching the Oscars more interesting if I've seen the movie. Btw, I'm not saying watching the Oscars is high entertainment. Usually, they get bad reviews by the TV critics.

I tried last year to watch the Oscars at the 20 Club in NYC, but with the TV monitors in the rear of the bar and the male strippers performing in the front, it was impossible to watch both at the same time. So, this year, I'll be staying at home.

Coop

• Members

I like to watch the Oscars. Joan Rivers on the Red Carpet was always a favorite part, but she fell out of favor with the powers that be. I won't watch Ryan Seacrest. After the Red Carpet, there is some kind of awards show which occasionally shows good movie clips.

I like to watch the Oscars. Joan Rivers on the Red Carpet was always a favorite part, but she fell out of favor with the powers that be...

It will be interesting to see how Australian actor, Hugh Jackman, compares to the comedians who have recently hosted the Oscars. Can the star of the X-Men movies pull it off?

Recent hosts have been:

Jon Stewart

Ellen DeGeneres

Billy Crystal

Whoopie Goldberg

Steve Martin

David Letterman

Chris Rock

2f63e1bea0f6e1e50f363c55b3447dfa.jpg

I saw The Reader today and loved it. From the moment it started to the very end with the credits rolling, the movie held my attention. It was superbly done and acted.

Also saw The Wrestler and agree that Mickey did an outstanding job. For me, the movie was hard to watch at times and I found myself wanting to shed a tear more than once. He did a great job with the movie and so did Marisa.

I saw The Reader today and loved it. From the moment it started to the very end with the credits rolling, the movie held my attention. It was superbly done and acted.

OZ, I totally agree with you. A wonderful, tender and loving story. One I'd see again.

However, you failed to mention the hot young actor in the film, David Kross. What a pleasant addition to the cast. I hope we see a lot more of him. Coop

f104303e9bcdde4103d5b1c87e80c54e.jpg

191b5b4786e252fb857c075f6f5e4a49.jpg