BiBottomBoy

Men Only Policies

One of the gay bars in town has caused a bit of a controversy by having a policy of only admitting men. Girls who want to party there too have complained and it's not clear if under French law you can have a male only door policy.

What do you guys think? Does it bother you if girls turn up at your local gay bar?

• Members

One of the gay bars in town has caused a bit of a controversy by having a policy of only admitting men. Girls who want to party there too have complained and it's not clear if under French law you can have a male only door policy.

What do you guys think? Does it bother you if girls turn up at your local gay bar?

It's really not a gay bar then, is it?

I really don't care if the odd fag-hag guest shows up on occasion. However, if it is a gender mixed crowd then it really isn't a gay bar. That is especially troublesome when male dance entertainment is available.

I would attend an alternate lifestyle bar -- GLBT -- but I wouldn't call it a 'gay bar'. FWIW

You misunderstand.

In most of the gay bars in France there is a mixed male/female crowed in the front room. Of those people 90 percent are gay/les/bi.

Then there are two different "dark rooms" in the back. One for boys, one for girls. The back rooms are strictly single sex.

The number of fag hags are fairly low, though some do exist.

The main point of this is that before this bar tried this the bars were "gay" in an all encompassing sense of the word. And, that wasn't a problem because lesbians are not likely to bother gay men.

Everyone did their own thing.

Now they are trying to segregate.

I went to Cornell, in upstate NY. There was only one gay bar in town and it was for everyone. That feels normal to me. I have never understood the whole men only thing. Though to be fair, I've read about straight girl gangs crashing gay male places with strippers and taking over and I don't think that would be cool.

• Members

I for one DO have a problem with girls in gay bars. Last winter in San Francisco I was with a large group of friends and we visited several bars in the Castro.I got fed up with the screaming/yelling/stupid behavior of the girls present that I finally had to excuse myself and head to the stud by myself to be in the company of men.

I have witnessed girls in bars with dancers many times-all I can say is NO THANK YOU! They all think it is a damned bachlorette party.And of course they do not tip anywhere near what guys do-but they demand a LOT more attention from the dancers.

Not to say there should not be a place for gay boys and girls to socialize-but it does it have to be at every single venue?

Of course if a straight guy tried this sort of behavior at a lesbian bar

he would quickly be shown the door.

• Members

I for one DO have a problem with girls in gay bars. Last winter in San Francisco I was with a large group of friends and we visited several bars in the Castro.I got fed up with the screaming/yelling/stupid behavior of the girls present that I finally had to excuse myself and head to the stud by myself to be in the company of men.

I have witnessed girls in bars with dancers many times-all I can say is NO THANK YOU! They all think it is a damned bachlorette party.And of course they do not tip anywhere near what guys do-but they demand a LOT more attention from the dancers.

Not to say there should not be a place for gay boys and girls to socialize-but it does it have to be at every single venue?

Of course if a straight guy tried this sort of behavior at a lesbian bar

he would quickly be shown the door.

Towny, I've seen the same female conduct also over the years and could not agree with you more. That is one reason why I always enjoyed the strip clubs of Montreal so much. Ladies only allowed on lady's night and I tried to steer clear of any Club there on their Lady's Night. I have, more than once, walked out of Clubs for the same reasons as you.

I've also stopped tipping certain male dancers for giving to females free what I was expected to tip for. One dancer on a certain night that had gotten my attention and money even asked me why I had stopped tipping him when he again tried to get my attention. You should have seen his face when I told him to go back and play with the females he was so fond of that didn't tip. You could have picked his jaw up off the floor.

I for one DO have a problem with girls in gay bars.

I fully concur with your description of the problem. When I go to a gay bar, I'm there to enjoy that aspect of being gay. When the shrieking girls show up, to me it's the same as trying to watch a movie and there's people in the theater talking throughout the whole thing. It ruins the possibility of enjoying the movie and those girl groups in gay bars manage to accomplish the same. They ruin the evening for the gay guys who came to the bar so they could spend the evening enjoying being gay. I have yet to ever meet a gay man who said he likes it when the shrieking girls show up at the bar.