Guest FourAces

Name 1 Thing New You Learned Today

• Members

I learned that jokes told 4,000 years ago were even dumber than the ones told today.

> Sumeria circa 1900 BC (oldest recorded joke): "Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap."

> Egypt circa 1600 BC: "How do you entertain a bored pharaoh? You sail a boatload of young women dressed only in fishing nets down the Nile and urge the pharaoh to go catch a fish."

> England circa 950 AD: "What hangs at a man's thigh and wants to poke the hole that it's often poked before? Answer: A key."

Guest hitoallusa

That's interesting. Without reading the wiki-answer. I thought the answer was very simple because Matilda came to my mind.. But I didn't know that Matilda was never crowned. That is something that I learned today. I searched wikipedia and it reads that Matilda's arrogance made her deny citizen's request to halve their taxes. I am not sure whether it's a valid statement since there is no reference for it. Anyways, history is so interesting. Thank you for this awesome thread.

I watched the whole season episodes of Pillars of the Earth and wondered who was the first Queen of England. The answer is tricky.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Was_Mary_the_first_Queen_of_England

Btw, I meant "Queen" in the sense of an actual female head of state designated as the "queen", not just the coronated wife of the King.

Guest DaneMichaels

I learned today that the BP gas station by my house that has 2 DOORS, the one on the right will ALWAYS be locked....for the SECOND time.... I'm glad I do not embarrass easily because you see a hooker try to go through a locked door once, and then on a seperate occasion try the same trick... all hope could be lost at that point. Pretty sometimes doesn't always = smart :no::cheer:

Guest BeachBoy

I met the friend of my friend's sister tonight who used to work in television, and learned a lot about how Springer-type shows work. Really fascinating stuff.

Guest hitoallusa

You are not going to share it with us?

I met the friend of my friend's sister tonight who used to work in television, and learned a lot about how Springer-type shows work. Really fascinating stuff.

Guest BeachBoy

Each comment on this thread made me laugh more than the last. It reminds me of hanging out with my IRL friends. I'm totally cracking up right now!

Guest StevenDraker

The worlds longest commercial flight is 18 hours and 30 minutes.  :o

Would that be the one from Newark to Singapore over the North Pole?

Guest gcursor

I think I've heard of this flight. There are NO toilets on the flight.

The worlds longest commercial flight is 18 hours and 30 minutes.  :o

• Members

I learned that fat guys don't need to wear strip shirts unless they have a thick skin. I had at least 10 people ask me today if I have gained weight and I just saw them last Friday. No more strip shirts on me!

Stripes tend to carry the eye in the direction they run. I think it is the horizontal stripes you want to avoid. They carry the eye from side to side as opposed to up and down. Just remember to avoid 30s vintage prison uniforms or anything resembling them. As an alternative, basic black, with or without pearls, is always correct. :P