kjun12

Thailand: Negotiating Life in the Land of Smiles

• Members

Though I have a friend who does not like it, most foreigners tend to enjoy Thai food very much. It is usually made from very fresh ingredients and being cooked as it is ordered improves the flavor over foods which are prepared in advance as in most western restaurants. Don’t think that because of this you will have to wait very long for your food. The Thai method of cooking is very simple and quick and you will be served in a most reasonable time. While Thai food is known for being very spicy this should not be a problem for you because as soon as the waiter or waitress realizes that you are not Asian the spiciness is, usually, automatically toned down. As a measure of insurance you should learn the magic words which are spelled phonetically as “my pet” and means not spicy.

Speaking to a Thai person can be somewhat challenging because they try to translate Thai to English in the same syntax as they speak Thai. We do the same thing when attempting to speak Thai. Do not speak English as they do. If you speak English correctly, slowly and clearly they will be better able to understand what you are saying as they usually learned English in school or from English speaking people. Just remember not to laugh if you or they make a mistake when speaking because they will think you are laughing at them and will be more inhibited in speaking with you. Thai people’s feelings can be hurt easily.

Be cautious about being drawn into a political discussion about Thai Politics. This is a touchy subject because Thailand has been in political chaos for several years and the people are very much divided in their beliefs and, consequently, their political leanings. They are usually trying to find out if you are friend or foe. This usually begins with a question such as, “How you like Thaksin?” To say the least he is a very controversial former Prime Minister who is presently hiding in Africa to avoid arrest in Thailand but many Thais still support him strongly. They will not say anything harsh to you because Thais are non-confrontational but you will have left an impression by you response and it may be bad. Better to just say: I don’t know enough to answer the question. It is OK to talk international politics with them but as many say “politics and religion are tough subjects to talk about.

The thing which drives me crazy about living in Thailand is how the people drive. It’s AWFUL. I have no idea where they learned to drive but you must be constantly on your toes while driving. I did not drive here for the first four years I visited and it was one year of living here before I started. If people in the US drove like Thai people do there would be blood in the streets and I don’t mean from traffic accidents. It would be from fists and bullets. They are the worse drivers I have encountered and this includes Rome and Mexico City and people in those places drive badly. This is not just in Bangkok but throughout the country. Whoever taught them to drive must have been blind and stupid. Lines in the road mean nothing to them. They speed, change lanes without regard to how close you are to the car in front of you, and often turn from an outside lane right in front of your vehicle. This does not even take into account the myriads of bastards on motorbikes who follow no rules or laws whatsoever. I get so pissed at them that sometime I wish I had a stick to hit them in the head. Enough, my blood pressure is up just writing about it.

That’s it for this part of my ideas of what it is like to live in Thailand. Next time I’ll try to tell you what sex is like here.

Guest jimboivyo

This is a 'when in rome' situation. If you're living there now, it's time to let go of what you've gotten used to being raised in the USA and come to terms with how the Thai people function. On the bright side, at least you won't have to worry about $300 hourlies there in Bangkok :ermm:

I have always found the way Thais speak English to be charming. And anyway I realize that their English is a million times better than my very limited Thai.

I know what you mean about the driving. I just sit back, put on my seatbelt and try not to pay much attention to what is going on outside the car. Of course not being the driver allows one to do that. I'll always remember my first time in Bangkok and the ride from Don Muang Airport down to the Tarntawan hotel. The tour company had arranged for a driver to pick me up. It was one of those awful old Volvo 960's that are still in use all over there. I had to basically close my eyes as we drove along the highway because we were going so fast just inches away from the other traffic.

You are right on in all your say sir. Thanks for sharing.

Having lived in LOS for a long time (on and off), I will stay the place takes a bit to get use to. For those that lived in the South 20 years ago, that is the pace of most cities and if you travel up country, it is even slower.

Personally, I love the taxi's going fast there. I was in one last week going from Bangkok to Pattaya and it took one hour and 10 minutes. I looked up at one point and the driver was going 160KPH. I closed my eyes, prayed and went to sleep.

• Members

The Thai drivers seem just like the ones I encounter every day here in MEM. One must be constantly alert for lane changes, "unusual" speeders, cell phone talking narcoleptics and "others". Sounds like a "normal" day to me. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1