JKane

John Carter is GOOD!

• Members

Looks like this movie is going to bomb in a huge way. They predict that Disney could lose $165 million on this movie. It looks like a renter to me. I'll see it eventually.

The way the Disney useless non-creatives saddled this movie with attrocious marketing and then wrote it off before it was even released truly sucks.

It's the best Sci-Fi so far this year, quite possibly for last year too! And the VFX (and 3D) are probably the BEST SINCE AVATAR.

This is something that SHOULD BE SEEN IN THEATERS! I saw it in Imax 3D twice!

And the lead actor has an amazing body which is on display pretty much the entire fucking movie. Hell, you *almost* start to get tired of his perfect nipples!

Sci-fi fans must unite for John Carter!

Guest hitoallusa

Hmm he is cute but I'm not sure whether I will see this movie...

The way the Disney useless non-creatives saddled this movie with attrocious marketing and then wrote it off before it was even released truly sucks.

It's the best Sci-Fi so far this year, quite possibly for last year too! And the VFX (and 3D) are probably the BEST SINCE AVATAR.

This is something that SHOULD BE SEEN IN THEATERS! I saw it in Imax 3D twice!

And the lead actor has an amazing body which is on display pretty much the entire fucking movie. Hell, you *almost* start to get tired of his perfect nipples!

Sci-fi fans must unite for John Carter!

Guest Hoover42

[...]

It's the best Sci-Fi so far this year,

Agreed! For everyone who hasn't seen this movie, forget the original trailer, and check out this fan-produced version which is much much better.

And the lead actor has an amazing body which is on display pretty much the entire fucking movie.

No fucking kidding! Those nipples had me mesmerized every time they came on screen. ^_^ :)

I am DEFINITELY getting a copy of this on BluRay.

Guest EXPAT

Even Rotten Tomatoes has it rated as a 50% which is not awful. And the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is 72%

One of the more positive reviews:

Though messy and overlong, it's an enjoyable throwback to the movie spectacles of a more innocent age.

Here is a 10 minute preview:

• Members

The nipples were in fact mezmerizing, glad I am not the only one that thought so. Just a little hair around to make them oh so hot..... the movie overall, I would rate as average, too long and the "mushy" scenes to predictable. Saw the IMAX 3D, not sure it was worth the extra cost. Good SciFi film, helps to know the priginal book was written by Edgar Rice Burrows, of Tarzan fame.

Based on your recommendation, I went tonight and I enjoyed it. I did think the beginning was a bit slow but the rest of it was pretty good. It was not fabulous (no Meryl Streep) but it was enjoyable to watch!

Then again, I love the Vampire Diaries so never take my views on good TV or Movies to heart. ^_^

• Members

From what I can tell, there's nothing of note opening this weekend, '21 Jumpstreet' is the big one.

It'd really send Hollywood a message if John Carter climbed to be #1 this weekend!

If you liked it, tell people! Take a friend or several to see it *this* weekend if you haven't yet (or even if you have, like I did!).

No, it's not a *great* movie, but it's a whole hell of a lot better than shit like '21 Jumpstreet' or Eddie Murphy's upcoming '1000 words'!!! We need to let Hollywood know it is in fact good to at least *try* to make something good (on the large scale) once in a while!

• Members

Closet case Eddie Murphy's movie's may well be the worst reviewed movie of all time. All 39 of its reviews were bad.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/mar/12/eddie-murphy-thousand-words

I mean, on the one hand a movie where he can't talk much sounds like the best Eddie Murphy vehicle in many years, *and* no black man as a fat black woman is a refreshing change, too! But on the other hand it just seems to mean endless obnoxious mugging in the trailer--not that I sat through it willingly or recommend others seek it out!

Yep, Zero percent! Awesome.

Guest hitoallusa

He is a hottie!

John Carter was introduced by Edgar Rice Burroughs in the 1917 book A Princess of Mars. He is described as 6'2" tall, clean-shaven, with close-cropped black hair and steel gray eyes. :sweat:

Guest EXPAT

Disney Corporate had this official release yesterday regarding an SEC requirement to notify investors of a financial write down. . .

“In light of the theatrical performance of John Carter ($184 million global box office), we expect the film to generate an operating loss of approximately $200 million during our second fiscal quarter ending March 31. As a result, our current expectation is that the Studio segment will have an operating loss of between $80 and $120 million for the second quarter. As we look forward to the second half of the year, we are excited about the upcoming releases of The Avengers and Brave, which we believe have tremendous potential to drive value for the Studio and the rest of the company.”

Guest Hoover42

Postscript...

Disney movie studio boss Rich Ross stepped down on Friday. His resignation was rumored to be triggered in part by two Mars films which cost Disney over $270 million in losses: “Mars Needs Moms,” and “John Carter,”

Guest hitoallusa

Well he can go to other studios and make better movies... Maybe he lacked understanding of young kids' preference these days. Most gay people I know don't want children and hate being around children...