Suckrates

Ricky Martin Fizzles in Evita.

• Members

The long awaited and highly anticipated Evita revival hit Broadway, but the sound was more of a THUD...

Ricky got poor reviews as bringinh NO personality to the role althought his singing and dancing was "adequate".

The LEAD Evita was called, OK but with a weak and powerless voice...

Who the fuck cares ? Ricky is still hot, and the sotry familiar.

Still getting my tix....

I was able to see the Evita in New York. I really love the show and I have seen it preformed by several leader actors over the year. The music is some of my favorite music for anything that Broadway has produced. I love listening to the soundtrack.

Ricky is new in this leading role and I'm sure that he will get better as time. Even if his performance is just okay I'm going to go see it and support both him and the musical.

• Members

Mr. Suckrates says that Ricky got poor reviews. Then why not post them? Back up what you have to say. Perhaps he has no proof, just wants to make a stir?

Evita did get mixed reviews, and so did Ricky.

HuffPost said: Ricky Martin is easily the best thing about this revival of Andrew Lloyd Webber's bio of Eva Peron, which opened Thursday at the Marquis Theatre. He sings beautifully, dances gracefully, athletically climbs ladders, plays his role with a knowing sneer and elicits drools in his suspenders and tight white shirt. He even makes a mustache work.

The Hollywood Reporter said: His dramatic presence could be more aggressive, but Martin’s Latin-pop vocals are a smooth fit for the role, and his relaxed charm and dreamboat looks will yield few complaints. Fans eager for him to bust some serious dance moves have to wait until midway through Act II, but he eventually turns on the trademark sizzle.

Talkin Broadway says: Martin (who previously appeared on Broadway in Les Misérables) is spectacular, wielding a bewitching stage presence and a robustly theatrical voice that shreds through even Webber's trickiest passages and displays both the tenderness and impatience that characterize Eva's devoted adherents and harshest critics.

The Village Voice says:

Ricky Martin is the everyman narrator, Che, and he doesn't approach the role as angrily as the original, Mandy Patinkin, going for a more bemused, lightly mocking quality.

Though he comes from the Jude Law school of arm gestures (usually with his left arm), Martin sings like a lark and has an appealing stage presence. He definitely has a future off the charts!

Entertainment Weekly says: Che, played with irresistible swagger by Ricky Martin, is no longer the beret-wearing, fatigues-clad Che Guevara type of past productions. Martin could dial down the enthusiasm; he loves to reach out, literally, to the audience. But he sings like a dream, and he's clearly more comfortable here than he was storming the barricades in Les Misérables 16 years ago. Judging by the curtain-call squeals, his fans are packing the house — and going home happy. On that level, Evita succeeds brilliantly.

So, Mr. Suckrates, hardly a THUD, huh? No doubt some reviews are not so positive. The show is getting some pans, but most of them go to Elena Rogers, who really does seem to have landed with a SPLAT! ^_^

Guest hitoallusa

Lucky are you going to see it? I don't like Eva Peron because she did more harm to Argentina than good so I don't like Evita at all. I only saw the movie version. Madonna played in that movie with Antonio Banderas.