TotallyOz

Transportation in Chiang Mai

The airport is Chiang Mai is busy. There are many tourists that come on and go. I was told the average stay in the city is 3 days so you can imagine how fast things go in the city. Lots of tourists and lots of activities are always going.

We took Thai air from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. We chose business class only as it was a slight bit more than economy class with fully changeable dates. The cost for the tickets was about 7500 baht each. We flew one guy in from Udon and it was 6,000 bath for his ticket. He had to fly up on Air Asia. We used Thai Air as I wanted my points and my miles. My boyfriend had to fly back to Bangkok each week to go to school on the weekend. He would leave on Friday night or Saturday and come back after school on Sunday. He was late getting into Bangkok every time and his was late getting back into Chiang Mai all but once. I say this just to tell you not to set your clock by the airtime. There were always delays for us. Perhaps that was just fluke but it happened on the way there and on the way back. There are daily flights from each city into Chiang Mai and they usually start early am and stop at around 9 or so at night. You will have no problem getting either a taxi or a Tuk Tuk from the airport.

Once in Chiang Mai, PJ's picked us up and took us to the hotel. There were metered taxis waiting outside and they were always at most shopping areas we went to.

Tuk Tuks are available day and night. Most rides on them cost us 50-80 bath. At night they asked for more money. When I was with the boyfriend it was always a few baht more than if it was just him. We took the Tuk Tuks to D2 hotel every night and it cost 80 to get there and 100 to get back to PJ's place.

We did rent a motorbike for the month. It was 4k baht for the entire month and we had to leave a deposit of 3k bath and a copy of the ID card. The boyfriend used his card. We rented from Buddies Bikes which is right across from Central Plaza shopping.

To rent a car and driver for the day was 2000 plus the cost of gas and tip. That is what most guys quoted us. There are lots of taxi's for hire. I even had a friend who rented a Tuk Tuk for the day.

I didn't see motorbike taxis there like I see in other cities. It looks like the Tuk Tuks have a monopoly on the business.

There are baht buses that go everywhere. You can rent them or pay per the way. We only took a few of them and I didn't pay attention to what we paid for a group ride. I know when we told them where to take us it was 100 baht. I found the Tuk Tuks easier and faster and much preferred them.

In the day we used the motorbike we rented but at night we would use the Tuk Tuks as the boyfriend could then drink with friends and I didn't have to drive at night. I was never drunk but I am not good at night with driving and didn't want to be responsible for driving both of us.

You can also rent bicycles for the day/week/month. I saw many biking around the area.

All in all, I found getting around the city pretty easy once you get use to where the moats are and which direction they go. They seemed to be the center for us and we always found our way around using them. The city was easy to drive a motorcycle in and other transportation was always easily found.

All in all, I found getting around the city pretty easy once you get use to where the moats are and which direction they go.

When in a city you don't know very well, or don't know at all, that's where having a GPS, with the ESRI software, can come in mighty handy. When I go to Chiang Mai, I'm going to drive to get there. I already have most of the places I want to visit marked on the GPS. All I'll have to do is decide which location I want to visit, crank up the GPS, and it will lead me right to wherever I want to go. I spent some time today putting in all the places you talked about and am looking forward to visiting the ones that seemed most appealing to me.

GT, the baht busses are usually 30-50% less than the tuk tuks. I do about 50/50 on the tuk tuks and baht buses and, recently (just returned from 2 weeks in Chiangmai), I don't think I ever paid more than 50 baht for a baht bus for two of us. The tuk tuks were generally 50-100% more going the same distance (although, as you note, they do tend to demand more later at night).

I've found the Chiangmai airport very easy to use (the domestic end is actually not that large given the size of the city and traffic going through there) and, of course, easily accessible (probably only a 20 minute drive from as far away as the Narawat Bridge). From PJ's, I'd guess it's a 10-12 minute drive. The international terminal (south end of the airport building) was just opened about 2 years ago and is very nice.....and and extremely easy way to travel internationally from Chiangmai. There are direct flights from there to Luang Prabang, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and Kunming, China....as I and the beloved have gone to those places. I hear they are about to fly direct to Seoul....and it's kind of nice to have them add new flights annually so one can avoid going through Bangkok.

EDIT: While making this reply, I see GB's post arrived. You're driving to Chiangmai?!? Perhaps you're either a brave (or slightly nuts) soul....but I'd love to hear how long it will take you (I'd guess about 8 hours from Bangkok if you drive steady?). I only make the "slightly nuts" comment not because of your driving skills but because I would have a hard time trusting the rest of the drivers (Thais) to stay the hell away from me. I hope your journey isn't as tense as I suspect it will be.

Guest manfarang
Yes, Korean Air has already added that non-stop route and the service is in place. That's the routing I will take on my next visit in June.

Dapitt -

In a couple of months I will be flying from the US east coast to BKK on Korean, but I'm very interested in a Chiang Mai routing for future flights. If you don't mind my asking, where are you flying from and what sort of fare are they asking with Chiang Mai as the destination? Many thanks.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Chiang Mai. If you need a car to go on side trips, and there are some great side trips I can recommend, try North Wheels. They are on the internet. You can get a car for 1300 BT a day with very good insurance at North Wheels. You can also try POP3 where you can bargain even a cheaper deal. Glad to hear you are staying at PJ's. Peter and Jiap are two of my favorite people. Believe me you are in great hands. I will be in CM in two weeks, and I am staying for 33 days. Say hello to Peter and Jiap for me and have a great time.

Dapitt -

In a couple of months I will be flying from the US east coast to BKK on Korean, but I'm very interested in a Chiang Mai routing for future flights. If you don't mind my asking, where are you flying from and what sort of fare are they asking with Chiang Mai as the destination? Many thanks.

I'm flying out of Atlanta nonstop to Seoul. (I think that DFW is also a gateway for them, but not sure.) The fare I have is right at $1400. But.... since I made the above post that you quoted, they've reduced the frequency of the service between Incheon and CNX. (The connection is through Incheon, not Bangkok.) You have to be patient in booking; sometimes it's not altogether easy to determine exactly which days they fly into, and then out of, Chiang Mai. The arrival is around 11:50 PM; and the return departure is about 01:30 AM!

Just checked a rt ticket on Korean Air in August between Incheon and Chiangmai.....was over $1,500.00 in economy! Always was thinking about another route to CNX but this won't be it.

Guess I'll continue on EVA to BKK and then go north (someday I may check out the China Airline flights between Taipei and CNX and those are quoted as $541.00 for August).

Guest Geezer

“While making this reply, I see GB's post arrived. You're driving to Chiangmai?!? Perhaps you're either a brave (or slightly nuts) soul....I would have a hard time trusting the rest of the drivers (Thais) to stay the hell away from me”

If the purpose of your travel is to get from Bangkok to Chiang Mai flying is certainly the only way to go. If the excursion for pleasure, driving can be quite enjoyable.

Along the way are good uncrowded roads, national parks,beautiful mountain scenery, and the prospect (unfortunately unrealized in my case) of encountering innocent rustic lads. Getting there can be half the fun.

I highly recommend North Wheels for car rental. They are a trustworthy company with a comprehensive website.

Guess I'll continue on EVA to BKK and then go north (someday I may check out the China Airline flights between Taipei and CNX and those are quoted as $541.00 for August).

I've flown that route with China Airlines. Quite good service, I felt. Would definitely fly them again. The only hesitation, for me, is the U.S. west coast departure. Flying out of Atlanta, the Korean schedule is much better. (No need to get to the west coast first, for the long haul departure.) The Korean cost factor, like them all, seems to be a function of the travel dates and when you book them.

Guest Astrrro
I don't think I ever paid more than 50 baht for a baht bus for two of us.

I'm a little confused. Is there a fixed price one pays when getting off a baht as in Pattaya where it's 10 baht?

I'm a little confused. Is there a fixed price one pays when getting off a baht as in Pattaya where it's 10 baht?

Yes, and no. I always pay the driver 10 to 20 Bht, but rarely use the Baht bus. Thai's have a fixed rate for Thais, but there are so few farangs that we are targets for higher prices. One reason they get away with this is there are no motorcycle taxis in Chiang Mai, and the tuk tuk drivers are the worst greediest bastards in the world. I always rent a car, and when I move to Chiang Mai I will buy both a car and a motorcycle to get around. Lately, we have seen the appearance of metered Taxis which are proving themselves to be very popular.

Guest fountainhall
There were always delays for us. Perhaps that was just fluke but it happened on the way there and on the way back

Not a fluke. I will not go into detail (which I posted a year or more ago on another thread), but I gave up on Air Asia after over 70% of my flights experienced late departures (bewteen 2 and 12 hours) and outright cancellations. Sure, lots of others probably have not had such bad experiences, but delays are far from unique.

As for getting around Chiang Mai. I've never had a probem with the Baht buses or tuk tuks. Baht buses are OK provided you're not in a great rush, and you may have to take 2 different ones to get to your detination. Tuk tuks may be expensive, but they usually get you from A to B pretty quickly.