paulsf

Thai Airways Cancels JFK-BKK Service

Guest Astrrro

Their website still shows the daily non-stop to JFK. Do you have a link to the announcement?

I'm booked on that flight in February.

Guest laurence

I have been trying to book a flight in Jan 2009 from JFK to BKK on Thai but cannot on their website. I did speak with Rhonda at Norcross travel who said the cost was about $2000 and that Thai was adjusting their prices from JFK.

Flights from LAX after Jan 7 are very reasonably priced. Before Jan 7 the fares are several hundred dollars more.

Guest luvthai

Well that just sucks. I flew on my first non stop from JFK last feb and loved it. Now it is no more so I guess it is back to EWR and Eva.

Guest fountainhall

If true, it should not be a surprise as rumours have been swirling around for some time. I wonder if increasing competition from Cathay Pacific and Singapore Ailrines tipped the scales. Cathay recently added a 2nd JFK/HKG non-stop and Singapore has a new all-business class JFK/SIN. Granted these flights mean a stop if you want to get to Bangkok, but the increased capacity enables them to lower some fares in both economy and business (albeit temprarily) and draw punters away from TG.

with fuel costs rising it probably didn't make sense to keep on flying an aircraft that only seats 200 if it's full.

there are other options to connect in Asia. I flew ANA via NRT from Washington last year and enjoyed it. I am going back with them again this year.

Guest buddymaine
They just announced this change starting in July. Options now are LAX

OK, so I arrived on Saturday and go home August 4th. Where did you see this announcement? Have not seen anything on the news or on the internet.

Thanks

Have not seen anything on the news or on the internet.

Neither have I. I looked on the Thai Airways web site and in the major English language media web sites. I can't find anything about this. Please inform us of the source of this information.

I have used this route and was eve changing Thai Air to be my major carrier and started accumulating points there. This is a disappointment.

Guest jomtien
OK, so I arrived on Saturday and go home August 4th. Where did you see this announcement? Have not seen anything on the news or on the internet.

Thanks

You better go home sooner, before it's too late! (After dropping off any books, food, etc. you may have brought over for friends in Jomtien of course)

Not to worry Buddy....you will enjoy the flight home via Afghanistan.....it's quite scenic!

Guest fountainhall
I arrived on Saturday and go home August 4th

I tried to book on TG's website for the flight to JFK departing Aug 4 and got this message -

"We are unable to find departing flights matching the criteria you specified. Please modify your selection and try again"

On further checking, the JFK flight is offered any date in June. Thereafter nothing. Seems like the rumour is true. I am sure TG will reroute you either via LAX or on another carrier, but clearly not non-stop.

I saw it on Flyer Talk yesterday. It hasnt been officially announced, but several people called the Thai office in Bangkok and they said it is gone as of July 1st and they werent taking any more booking. People are re-booking thru LA

Guest buddymaine
I saw it on Flyer Talk yesterday. It hasnt been officially announced, but several people called the Thai office in Bangkok and they said it is gone as of July 1st and they werent taking any more booking. People are re-booking thru LA

I will go to the TG office down the street tomorrow morning and work then to get SG via Europe to NYC with an upgrade :)

Guest shockdevil

:wacko:I guess I will not be flying TG for my trip later this year to LOS. I live on the west coast of USA and I absolutely hated connecting in LAX. It was the only airport I have been flagged for special inspection at customs. Sad since I really enjoyed flying on TG.

However, I am flying to Bali on Cathay Pacific in a couple of months and the fare was unbelievably less than $1,000 roundtrip.

I guess other airlines will start lowering prices to court those loyal to TG.

Guest GaySacGuy

IT KEEPS GETTING WORST!!

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/BUSINESS/06/07/thai.airways.ap/

This is a link to a CNN article. Thai is reducing the LA - BKK fligts to 5 days a week instead of daily, and then will discontinue the flight "later this year". I have a reservation to fly to BKK from LA on November 15, so I imagine that this will be removed before then. I am flying to the US on United, but really like the non-stop from LA for the return to LOS. Also they allow two 70 lb. bags, which means I can bring more junk with me on my flight back home to Thialand.

Oh well, they did say they might reinstate the flights if fuel cost go down...sometime right after Hell freezes over!