• Members

See the other side of things of this evil complicitous anti-Semetic nation.

Make sure to spend most of an entire day visiting both Auschwitz-Birkenau 1 and Auschwitz-Berkenau 2.

No film or TV show can ever show the true horror.

Denials that the Poles had no clue? Easy decision.

On a lighter note, take the day tour to Wieliczka Salt Mine. At least a half-day at Wawel Castle Both memorable.

IMO, Bruges or Ghent are hands down more beautiful.

• Members

Looks beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

I was there in the autumn of 2013 and appreciated what the city had to offer. Irrespective of politics and history, Krakow was, to me, one of the most beautiful cities of our world.

I think I hooked up, too, but don't remember if it were in Krakow or Warsaw!

• Members

"See the other side of things of this evil complicitous anti-Semetic nation.

Make sure to spend most of an entire day visiting both Auschwitz-Birkenau 1 and Auschwitz-Berkenau 2.

No film or TV show can ever show the true horror.

Denials that the Poles had no clue? Easy decision.

On a lighter note, take the day tour to Wieliczka Salt Mine. At least a half-day at Wawel Castle Both memorable.

IMO, Bruges or Ghent are hands down more beautiful"

Hardly a fair comparison. Bruges is the size of a village and Ghent has 25% of the population of Kracow . Need to compare apples with apples not apples with grapes.. Kracow is a booming city of almost a million people and someone will have to show me a more beautiful city rather then a town.

Under that argument I could say Zermatt is prettier then all of them. Hardly a fair comparison.

And one of the Europeans staunchest Allies are the same Germans that were the Monsters!! Those same Germans destroyed Warsaw to the ground and the Poles suffered 6 million dead and the highest % of population killed of any country in WW2.

• Members

3 million Jews were killed a stone's throw from Krakow. A good friend from Hungary was sent there and survived. Another friend of the family escaped from there. I have relatives that ended up there.

If one is going to travel to this "most beautiful city in Europe," just don't forget to take a look at the ugly side. And know that these sweet, kind people looked away as three million of their fellow Poles, who just happened to be Jewish were cremated there as they turned their heads and ignored what was going on.

I've been to Zermatt a couple of times, and cannot agree that it is prettier than all of them. All of ???

According to Wikipedia, a population of a large town is 20,000 to 100,000

Bruges is listed as 116,000.

Ghent is listed as 241,000.

So they should both be considered shitties, err cities.

As opposed to your shitty argument.

Zermatt has 5800 by the way.

• Members

The Ugly Side as you refer to it is the whole world knew what was going on and ignored it. The catholic church had first hand knowledge of what was going on and ignored it. The Pope did nothing and the leaders of the Free World did nothing.

Most of those did not have German Tanks and soldiers in their cities like Poland did. Easy to mouth off after the fact when those countries were never under any Occupation.

There were individuals around the world that did what they could like Schindler but what they did was a drop in the bucket while the extermination was going on over a long period of years.

And in addition I get a real kick out of the people who refer to the monuments and Camps etc as a remembrance to make sure this sort of thing never happens again.

Well guess what , far more people are being killed every year in Africa and Islamic countries (Syria) and the World does nothing.

History and remembrance is a good thing but preaching or blaming people who did not stand up to tanks and machine guns serves no purpose especially when most of that generation is dead.

I prefer to look at a city as it is now and realize that I have no way to know what I would have or could have done under similar circumstances.

And by the way I am Jewish!!

• Members

As far as the beauty of certain cities my comparison was meant to be with cities that millions of tourists go to like Prague

where descriptions of town squares and outdoor cafes etc are constantly written about.

IMHO no comparison, Kracow wins easily. You bring up 2 very small cities that I admit I have never been to nor have the great % of tourists in the world ever heard of or will visit.

I will never be able to comment on the beauty of those cities because I will likely never visit there, nor will the vast majority of tourists in Europe.

You are entitled to your opinion and I may be missing these beautiful small cities but there are only so many places the average person can visit especially when most people spend the majority of their lives working!

• Members

Firecat69 thanks for admitting you have never been. Bruges and Ghent are packed with tourists throughout the year coming in on buses from Brussels. Lots of Brits coming over on the Eurostar as well. I think I have been there five or six times. I don't know the numbers for each city but there are many who visit both. I'd say many more than when I spent 4-5 days in Krakow

And in fact I had asked my Mom, may she rest in peace, about the Holocuast and what was going on in the camps. There were rumors of terrible things happening. But no information until much later about the industrialiazation of the mass murder. Her parents as well as 2 of her sisters were born in NE Poland and came to the US in pre1910. As a great aunt went back to where that side of my family originated to try to find her children. She was never heard from again. So I do know a bit.

Did you happen to visit Auschwitz 1 or Auschwitz 2 when you toured the "most beautiful city in Europe?"

By the way, for anybody with an interest, rent "SHOAH" and then go back to Krakow as well as both extermination sites.

And how can one compare Krakow to places like Venice and Florence in Italy? Seville and Granada in Spain? I just got back from 5 days in Madrid and am planning to go back for a month. Have you been to any of those places? No comparison. Referring here only to older cities. Not forgetting Paris, London, etc,

• Members

Well I have been to all those cities and they are very beautiful, or at least some of them . You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. None of the squares you mentioned compare with Kracow IMHO.

Not only that since money is always a factor in peoples travel, most you mentioned are 2-3 x as expensive for everything (Booze .Food.Hotels etc)

And in London Prague ,Budapest etc the food sucks and is expensive especially in the areas visited by tourists. Not so in Kracow . We have found it impossible to find a restaurant that was not superb and way cheaper then any of those other cities.

You are welcome to your prejudices.

Also anyone with even the littlest bit of knowledge knows that Pope Pius X12 knew what the Germans were doing as early as 1939 and continued to receive pleas for help from many countries. He did nothing and he stood along with many others in many countries that did nothing.

There were more Polish citizens exterminated then any other country and because they were Jewish does not change the fact that they were Polish..

So save your condemnation for those people who were not occupied by tanks and Hitler's Gestapo.

• Members

Firecat, I'll bet when you posted your enthusiastic and heartfelt impressions of Krakow, you never expected some of the responses!

I was in Prague some years ago and should've made a side trip to Krakow. I'm still interested but I'm now fixated on Colombia and Thailand!

It is really tough to get over the prices in Kracow. Not sure how long it will last. We ate a lot of Polish food which we loved but had 2 great Italian meals . Pasta dishes were the equivalent of $6 or less and the same dishes here in Madrid are $13-$15.

Same for things bought in convenient stores and taxis etc. Just great value for your travel dollar.

• Members

Poland probably has the most attractive blondes with fine features in the world. That's why so many models are Polish.

Never been to Kracow, only Szczecin (the old Stettin) outside Berlin several times but the average Pole looks like your date and not sure there's a word for "No" in Polish. Even Szczecin has a very cruisy gay bar with very pliable locals in and out all day. All at '60's prices.

• Members

So found some free time today and had this cutey from gayromeo come over for an hour or so. Great time was had an I gave him about $80

He looks so sweet and innocent and virginal! He would have had lots of after glows once he'd received a hot tongue bath from me, back and front! Know you enjoyed his company and he yours! ^_^:P:P^_^