ihpguy

WARNING TO EVERYONE ABOUT RIO DE JANEIRO

• Members

I have heard this kind of admonition many times over the years to include the likely urban tale of a guy taking a nap on a park bench in Rio and waking up minus a kidney. These words of wisdom apply anywhere in the world and basically at all times. :(

Best regards,

RA1

Guest tomcal

Having spent somewhere in the vicinity of 600+ nights in Rio since 2001, and never having been assaulted or robbed, there are a few things I do to mitigate or reduce the chances of being a "target" of theft. I might add that I am usually walking back to the hotel or apartment around midnight or later most nights! The first couple years I was going to Rio, "boa noite cinderella" (good night Cinderella)was popular. Someone you just met gets you a drink or offers you a piece of gum with the juicy center that they have injected with HGB. It happened to Jackhammer for those of you who knew him from the Hooboy forum. So we learned not to let someone get our drinks for us or give us something to eat. The guys would pass out and wake up w/o their wallets/watches/phones etc. so here are my rules of the night!

1) Stick to the tourist zone at night...basically from the beach to 4 blocks in from it in Copa and Ipanema. Not a guarantee but definitely lessens the chances, especially at night. Be aware of your surroundings, I can't emphasize this enough!! If I see a group of 3 or 4 guys walking towards me on my side of the street from a block away, I casually walk across the street, acting like I don't see them and walk in the closest hotel lobby or drug store until they pass!

1a) Always stop at the ATM in the morning and utilize one in the bank lobby! never never go to one at night. They have guys watching from a 1/2 a block away to see who is getting cash and then follow until you are in a spot that makes their mugging easier!

2) Never ever wear any type of jewelry!! watches/ rings/ neck chains! save it to impress your friends at home! One American some years ago told me that upon leaving Corujinhas one night while still in view of the restaurant a guy came up showed a knife and said give me your watch! I had previously told him don't wear anything at night! he goes "but it was only a timex!" I told him Timex or rolex they don't know the difference all they know is you have something on you they can see and it's potentionally worth money. I never wear a ring or watch down there. It's kinda like the Lion and the wildebeest! they look for the sure thing! I may or maynot have something of value but they don't know for sure, you wearing a watch is a sure thing so you are the preferred target!

3) carry a $10 or $20 bill in your pocket, put the rest of your cash or credit card inside your sock on the side of your ankle! that way should you get assaulted, they get some cash from you and leave! whereas if you have nothing they will get mad and give you a bash on the head because they got nothing.

4)If you are at a sidewalk or beachside restaurant at night and for whatever reason feel uncomfortable, call a taxi even if it's only 4 blocks to your hotel, give him $10. for the one minute ride it's worth it.. Or ask the waiter if he or one of the busboys can walk with you back and give him $20. to do it.. Most will without hesitation, I have had several friends do this multiple times!

my good friend who I have traveled to Brazil with well over 40 times have practiced the above and neither of us with combined over a 1,000 nights in Rio have ever been mugged or robbed, maybe we have been very lucky, but I got to think being smart about you situation is the best defense! and of course if you can walk with others it really lessons the probability which is the primary reason I usually take a sauna guy back to the apartment for overnights every night I am there!! :lol: :laugh:

btw, the above could apply to almost any large city...Rio or Los Angeles or Miami..

• Members
and of course if you can walk with others it really lessons the probability which is the primary reason I usually take a sauna guy back to the apartment for overnights every night I am there!! :lol: :laugh:

LOL, OK maybe 'a reason' would be more accurate. ;):thumbsup:

• Members

All great advice, Tomcal. Thanks! :thumbsup:

The first couple years I was going to Rio, "boa noite cinderella" (good night Cinderella)was popular. Someone you just met gets you a drink or offers you a piece of gum with the juicy center that they have injected with HGB.

I have a hazy recollection of something similar happening to me once. I woke up in my room, face down on the pillow, and a strange pair of underwear over my head. My valuables were all OK, but I was woozy and had a hard time standing. Even the next day I had trouble walking and couldn't even sit down without an extra cushion. 157346.gif

Nothing like that had ever happened to me before so that evening I went back to where I'd met the guy with the gum to see if I could find him and find out what had happened. He finally showed up after a couple hours and I went over to talk to him, but he was out of gum. :rolleyes:

• Members

Too bad such a beautiful city has to have these sort of things happening. It is certainly not new but has been happening for years.

My first trip I followed all of Tomcal's rules and never had a problem but certainly felt uneasy many times . That uneasiness continued on subsequent trips.

Now reports make it sound like it is getting worse, just in time for next years Olympics. Great advertisement !!

That is certainly one of the reasons I don't go there any more. Plenty of destinations where I have never had that feeling.

But I certainly understand many not being deterred by this problem.

• Members

I'm very bad when it comes to technology. But I just received a Facebook post in Portuguese from a friend and don't know how to post it here. I is a new report about the death of a cardiologist on the shore of Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas, He was stabbed and killed by a 15 year-old, who has the nickname "The Bicycle Supplier." He and a group of sub-16 year olds steal bikes and resell them. This is the second article on O Globo that I have read this year. It doesn't mean that there haven't been others. But all of the neighborhoods that border the lake are considered to be upper class neighborhoods. And under 16 there is no jail for juvenile offenders. A word of warning when approached by even 1, 2 or 3 kids.

Here is the link I just found in English. But it is firewalled and I do not know how to cut and paste. Sorry. Someone might help

http://www.wsj.com/articles/knife-attacks-shake-wealthy-rio-de-janeiro-neighborhood-1432146829

• Members

I'm very bad when it comes to technology. But I just received a Facebook post from a friend and don't know how to post it here. I is a new report about the death of a cardiologist on the shore of Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas, He was stabbed and killed by a 15 year-old, who has the nickname "The Bicycle Supplier." He and a group of sub-16 year olds steal bikes and resell them. This is the second article on O Globo that I have read this year. It doesn't mean that there haven't been others. But all of the neighborhoods that border the lake are considered to be upper class neighborhoods. And under 16 there is no jail for juvenile offenders. A word of warning when approached by even 1, 2 or 3 kids.

Initially, I had planned not to respond to the issue of crime in Brazil. I did not want to scare off future visitors. However, considering that ihpguy already raised the issue, and others responded, it is only fair that I offer my first-hand observation of the situation.

Here is an article that discusses the killing of the doctor that ihpguy mentioned:

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-politics/cyclist-stabbed-at-rios-lagoa-died-from-his-injuries/?

By the way it is not only Rio with problems of violence and unemployment. At the present time, there is a real crisis in Brazil. The economy and crime are out of control.

I am in Sao Paulo again and the streets are filled with more homeless people than I have ever seen in prior trips.

My favorite upscale restaurant where I often have lunch had only a fraction of the number of patrons normally seen on Friday around noon. The drop in business is clearly a result of unemployment.

Last night while returning from a market, three guys came up to me claiming that they had no money and no food. They were not threatening. They were desperate. I felt so bad for them that I gave them the groceries I was carrying plus some cash. I cannot help but wonder what they would have done (if anything) had I not been so gracious to them.

During my many trips to Brazil, I became friends with several garotos that I previously met in the saunas. Most of these garotos had jobs and worked the sauna to supplement their day jobs. Each and every garoto I have known for a number of years is now unemployed.

Good grief - what does that say for the economy of Brazil!

The news is filled with stories about rampant inflation in Brazil and demonstrations are frequent attempting to oust President Dilma because of the horrible economy. She did not cause the problems. The people just want the problem solved.

I certainly don't know the solution to Brazil's problems.

I do think that the warning placed by ihpguy is appropriate, especially under the present situation in Brazil.

Face it, when hungry, poor, strong young unemployed males see gringoes walking around with money, how tempting it must be to relieve the gringo of his assets (or his life).

Informed visitors should raise their level of caution.

-

• Members

Not to turn this into a crime central log. But.....today is my caseiro's day off so he was watching RJ/Journal of Rio. As I get ready to leave for MM and then a brithday party, he told me once more all of the news about the death of Dr. Jaime Gold yesterday. And today, a tourist sunning herself on the grass at Lagoa was stabbed in the neck, Nothing was taken. Somebody came up and stabbed her in the neck.

• Members

While alluring, the violence and vastness of Brazil's cities deters me. Thailand seems much more simpatico, though profoundly different in terms of the guys.

I understand what you are saying. Some people don't like Asians but anyone who says they can't find muscle boys with Big Cocks in Thailand just does not know where to look.

As Planetime posted in the Asian section just go to Hero Massage 364 days a year at 5pm and there will be at least 50 Masculine Muscle Boys for you to choose from and many of them have Big Dicks..

• Members

ihpguy, how safe is the area around MM.

I have done the walk before to the metro, and it is deserted, i am sure the main street now will have more homeless on the side walks i asume from your information above. I trust the main gay Ipanema beach will be fine. I do know the drill, dress, down, no fancy shoes or clothing, T shirts and shorts, leave every thing home in USA that you do not want stolen. and watch your back.... easy enough, but the walk to 117, and MM from metro to sauna have me now worried.

• Members

""I have never seen it quiet like it is now"

If it's worse than ever that's saying a LOT in Rio. My last time there I had to stick to the beachfront in Copacabana because even on the next street over I was followed by thugs looking to rob. My neighbor's brother is a businessman in South America and has been robbed every single trip to Rio (about 10). Worst one was at an ATM where he was almost killed. Rio's one of my favorite cities but it's very dangerous in the best times.

Sao Paulo and especially Porto Alegre are looking better and better.

And the money-in-the-sock thing is important in Europe now too as the pickpockets everywhere give one more body contact than desired. Workers at the Eiffel Tower just went on strike demanding protection from all the pickpockets.

But if Rio's worse than ever.....

Guest tomcal

ihpguy, how safe is the area around MM.

I have done the walk before to the metro, and it is deserted, i am sure the main street now will have more homeless on the side walks i asume from your information above. I trust the main gay Ipanema beach will be fine. I do know the drill, dress, down, no fancy shoes or clothing, T shirts and shorts, leave every thing home in USA that you do not want stolen. and watch your back.... easy enough, but the walk to 117, and MM from metro to sauna have me now worried.

Tealady, I know you addressed this to my friend Ihpguy, but since I was just down there 4 weeks ago I thought I would tell you what my thoughts were on your questions!

the distance on Presidente Vargas blvd from the metro stop(Urugulana station)to Meo Mundo, approximately 5 blocks is packed with people/steet vendors and office workers leaving work, and certainly safe to walk in late afternoon/early evening. I also walk back around 9:00pm when I leave there and feel safe. Years ago I used to walk there at 5:00 but take a taxi back at 9:00 because it was more deserted, but now it's not. I feel this is similar to when I first started going to Rio in 2001 and there were homeless and people sleeping on the sidewalks. again, if you feel at all hesitant take a taxi. The area around Meo Mundo is so much better then it was 5 years ago!

The 1-1/2 block walk from the Gloria Metro stop to Club 117 is very safe I wouldn't worry about that.

• Members

ihpguy requested I post this...Warning: Grapic

Ciclista-morto.jpg

Translation of what went with the picture:

Jaime Gold was cardiologist and worked at the university hospital of Fundão. Served the poor in a hospital in ruins because he believed in the quality of medical education as an important tool to improve the quality of life.
He died because he challenged the current reality of total abandonment, where the criminal is treated as a victim of 500 years of colonization wrong ... bullshit.
No, Jaime will not have crosses on Copacabana beach,.
No, no slum will set fire to bus or close to the barricades bump curve, where Jaime was cowardly attacked.
No, not Dilma were upset and will even call the Jaime family for a word of comfort.
Jaime, Brazilian citizen, paid their taxes on time.
Jaime me, it's you. Jaime are all distrusted before, but now we are sure that this country has totally WRONG

• Members

Metro cars are really safe. I'd be aware of any jostling which indicates a pickpocket. Also keep in mind that a snatch and grab can happen right as the doors are closing.

I would definitely not walk back to the metro from Meio Mundo on a Saturday night. Any other time it is fine there. I would be more afraid being on the beach in Copacabana if there is another band of juveniles. Ditto in Ipanema on the beach except when it is busy and lots of people are around.

• Members

The area around Meio Mundo is very safe. Directly across the street is the headquarters for Souza Cruz insurance company. And just across the street on Ave. Présidente Vargas are the Banco Brasil Centro Cultural with evening plays, films and other programming and the Fundação Getúlio Vargas with business night school classes. Walking to the metro on any weeknight should be fine. Right now it is just a city with more random violence. Desperate people in desperate situations. It can happen anywhere at any time.

Guest tomcal

How safe are the Metro's in Rio ? I've always taken taxis.

Very safe! the metro stations are clean, modern, safe, well patrolled. I have not only never had a problem riding on the subway system, I have never seen anyone have one. I am sure pickpockets work it during rush hour when the passengers are crammed together. I always stand with my back against the wall and my money is always in my front pocket...deep in my front pocket! :-)