ihpguy

WARNING TO EVERYONE ABOUT RIO DE JANEIRO

Guest tomcal

Today's Wall Street Journal Article on the attack and the ecomomic issues.

Knife Attacks Shake Wealthy Rio de Janeiro Neighborhood

Latest fatal attack follows as many as four nonfatal stabbings in the area since start of the year

By
Paul Kiernan

RIO DE JANEIRO—Several recent knife attacks targeting cyclists in a wealthy Rio neighborhood that is set to host Olympic rowing competitions has underscored authorities’ struggle to contain violent crime as Brazil’s economy falters.

The latest victim, 56-year-old doctor Jaime Gold, died early Wednesday morning from stab wounds to the abdomen and arm sustained while being assaulted for his bicycle on Tuesday, officials said. He had gone for an evening ride around Rio’s scenic Rodrigo de Freitas lagoon, a lake ringed by upscale apartments and overlooked by the famous Christ the Redeemer statue more than 2,000 feet overhead.

The attack, which officials say follows as many as four nonfatal stabbings in the area since the beginning of the year, prompted the ouster of a district police commander and an outcry on Brazil’s social media. State Public Security Secretary José Mariano Beltrame posted a video to Twitter calling the incident unacceptable.

“We understand the difficulties that the police face in their job, but it’s unacceptable that actions of this nature, in this place, happen,” Mr. Beltrame said. He said the new police commander’s top priority would be “the total protection of Rodrigo de Freitas lagoon,” and that police would start patrolling the area by bicycle and on horseback.

Rio state authorities don’t track specific data on stabbings or bicycle thefts and were unable to provide complete numbers on such attacks. But cycling groups say they have been on the rise in recent months. The Cycling Safety Commission of Rio de Janeiro, a group of about 30 activists that formed after a cyclist was killed by a vehicle in 2013, says concerns about violence have superseded its long-standing concerns about traffic safety.

“It used to be cellphones, but now bikes are the thing to steal,” said Raphael Pazos, the commission’s president. He said the sport’s growing popularity, combined with the ease of selling stolen goods over the Internet, has put cyclists at risk. “We’re talking about three or four incidents a day where people are robbed of their bikes. You have to be pushed off. If you hit your head on the ground, you can die.”

Lauded for its success in bringing down the high homicide rates of the late 1990s, Rio has seen a rebound in some violent crimes since 2012, experts say. Clashes between police and suspected drug traffickers, in favelas that had supposedly been “pacified” by community-police forces, have made near-daily headlines in recent months.

The violence has coincided with a downturn in Brazil’s once-booming economy that, experts say, has simultaneously brought tighter police budgets and fewer job opportunities for at-risk youth.

“The economic situation is certainly a factor, because we are now in a far worse situation than we were five years ago, but it’s not the only factor” said Ignacio Cano, a researcher at the State University of Rio de Janeiro. He said Rio’s police force has gained plenty of manpower in recent years but still struggles to prosecute crimes, with only 8% of homicides resulting in prison sentences.

Top police officials, meanwhile, blame the impunity on a slow and dysfunctional court system.

Alfredo Lopes, president of the Brazilian Hotel Industry Association in Rio, expressed concern that Mr. Gold’s murder could scare tourists away when local businesses are already grappling with high inflation and a likely recession.

“Lamentably, violence has become part of our routine once again,” Mr. Lopes said in an emailed statement, citing similar attacks across the city. “No economic activity suffers more from crime, from violence in the streets and from the perception of insecurity than tourism.”

One cyclist who said he was targeted by knife-wielding attackers in December was among the many who took to social media to vent their dismay over Mr. Gold’s murder.

“Rio is an incredible city for cycling, but the roads are dangerous because the drivers don’t respect you and the bike paths aren’t safe,” Facebook user Juan José González, 34, said in a post. “It’s sad not to be able to ride safely in such a beautiful place.”

**In the photo, Ipanema is the narrow corridor of land at the top of the picture separating the Lagoon from the Ocean. On the left side and bottom of the photo, all the buildings you see are expensive condos where many of Rio's upper income residents live.

post-119356-0-29980300-1432467527_thumb.

• Members

ihpguy, how safe is the area around MM.

I have done the walk before to the metro, and it is deserted, i am sure the main street now will have more homeless on the side walks i asume from your information above. I trust the main gay Ipanema beach will be fine. I do know the drill, dress, down, no fancy shoes or clothing, T shirts and shorts, leave every thing home in USA that you do not want stolen. and watch your back.... easy enough, but the walk to 117, and MM from metro to sauna have me now worried.

I've taken taxis from my hotel/apartment in Copa to both 117 and Meio Mundo. When I've been with amigos, we've taken the metro as well as taxis both ways, depending on our moods.

Tealady, I'd suggest that since you have a concern, take taxis to both venues during this particular trip.

• Members

How safe are the Metro's in Rio ? I've always taken taxis.

From my limited experience and my knowledge of the experience of others-- the metro is relatively safe. I've traveled once by myself; at other times I've been with one or more! But perhaps those who've used the metro a lot can chime in.

While visiting my first or second favorite city in this world of ours, I've walked, used buses {extensively}, and have relied primarily on taxis as my main mode of transport, esp. at night!

For all of those who have concerns about their safety in Brazil, DON'T GO...

It's simple...If your mindset is already set for disaster to happen or that you will be a target, Go Somewhere Else...

This will eliminate all the questions, the concern and you not being able to have a good time....

I do understand there are certain places in ALL cities that are unsafe but reading the comments online from some of your guys is pretty sad.....

Save yourself time and energy and go where you feel safe....

• Members

For all of those who have concerns about their safety in Brazil, DON'T GO...

It's simple...If your mindset is already set for disaster to happen or that you will be a target, Go Somewhere Else...

This will eliminate all the questions, the concern and you not being able to have a good time....

I do understand there are certain places in ALL cities that are unsafe but reading the comments online from some of your guys is pretty sad.....

Save yourself time and energy and go where you feel safe....

Although I believe that your advice is well intended, I hope you really don't mean for people who expressed concern, to stay away from Brazil.

There is no question, Brazil has changed for the worse since the recession hit. I see it and I saw first-hand.

Countless young men are curently without work due to the recent and major economic recession in Brazil.

Even young men who are not street people resort to stealing and street mugging if they have families to support and have no money for necessities. Wives and children cannot go without food. Rent must be paid. Some formerly peaceful guys resort to desperate measures to feed their families. One of my favorite saunas guys was arrested over the weekend for mugging an English tourist.

Furthermore, hobos on the streets have become more aggressive. More so than I ever saw in my many trips here. I did encounter some street guys last week but I was not bothered by them.

However, for the first time in 124 trips to Brazil, I got mugged the other night. Fortunately, my injuries will heal but the injuries are quite obvious.

I get a lot of questions from people, such as "what happened to you?" particularly when they see the black eye I got from the incident.

It was simply a matter of my being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Even though I am cutting my current trip short because of the incident, I have every intention to return to Brazil in early July.

Obviously, the mugging will heavily influence my behavior while in Brazil now and in the future.

After I return to Brazil, I will change my pattern of getting to and from the places I visit. I will use more cabs than I previously did.

I find it very convenient to go to the saunas and other places via the Metro and walk only a few blocks. It was during one of those short walks that I got accosted by street thugs.

There are a lot of young street people wandering around aimlessly even in good parts of the cities. Many of the guys appear to be on drugs. If a non street person happens to cross their path, obviously, it is not a pretty picture.

Brazil remains a great place to have a wonderful time. As I wrote, I will return. Unfortunately, at the present time, the economy in Brazil is on the skids which puts lots of potentially dangerous people out of work and in need of money.

Just be careful while visiting this splendid country and its wonderful people.

Guest tomcal

Mvan1 so sorry to hear this! I hope you will recover fast! I also know if this can happen to you it can happen to anyone as you are always careful when you are out in the city!

• Members

The final national employment figures are in and there was a net loss of 97,800 jobs for Brasilians in the mon the of April. I had great programas both Friday and Saturday nights at MM.

The garoto Friday is.from São Paulo and out of work construction guy and Saturday a.barman from the Oceano Atlantico in Copacabana until February 2915 and his.abbreviated unemployment ran out. Now at the end of May.70 Reais.for each with an ejaculating. He rent is.coming down and.normally if.not.paid by the 5th, there is a 15 percent penalty.

• Members

Saturday night as I left MM it was not too empty as there was an event getting out at the BBCC. THERE were two 5 door police Blazers.with gumballs rotating and headlights flashing. Weeknights the sidewalks are crowded at 10pm. The.guy.next to me in bed got stabbed. On a Thursday at Midnight the.corner of.Rio Branco and Buenos Aires.is ses his lung. By about 2 inches. The.scary.part is that for 4 hours he was bleeding onthe street.and.lying down immobile. No one.wanted.to get involved.and.his. ell phone and money were stolen. No one.wanted.to get involved. Finally.an Bulan e.came.and.too him to Souza Aguiar public.hospital by the.Praça da Republica. He got quick attention with 5 pairs of Sutures and x-rays. They Kept.him there on IV.glucose.solution for an additional 5 hours

It does sound a bit like being in a war zkne5

• Members

Mvan1, I hope you recover soon. I am glad that you are able to take such a balanced view of what happened and that it will not affect your future travel plans. It is worrisome, however, that such an experienced traveller to Brazil as you are could fall victim to a mugging.

As an aside, may I ask what taxi firms you use. Should a traveller always ask a sauna or restaurant to call a taxi? And how do you know if it is reliable?

As a comparison, I've travelled extensively in Argentina and know to take only radio-taxis on city streets and pre-book 'remises' or limos to go to/from the airports. On my one trip to Rio (5 years ago, with an Argentine who knows Rio very well and speaks Portuguese) we were bemused at our inability to get a taxi on the street or even to discern which taxis were actually for hire

• Members

Here in Rio make sure that you take a taxi credenciado. These are the yellow taxis that have the name of their base location on both rear quarter panels. The non-credenciados/gypsy taxis will still have the yellow color, but no names on the sides with telephone numbers, the drivers are not as professional, cars are older and in worse shape and from my own experience, frequently have rigged meters. And unless you want to be robbed, never rent a taxi from the the girls managing the booths.

• Members

Mvan1, I hope you recover soon. I am glad that you are able to take such a balanced view of what happened and that it will not affect your future travel plans. It is worrisome, however, that such an experienced traveller to Brazil as you are could fall victim to a mugging.

As an aside, may I ask what taxi firms you use. Should a traveller always ask a sauna or restaurant to call a taxi? And how do you know if it is reliable?

As a comparison, I've travelled extensively in Argentina and know to take only radio-taxis on city streets and pre-book 'remises' or limos to go to/from the airports. On my one trip to Rio (5 years ago, with an Argentine who knows Rio very well and speaks Portuguese) we were bemused at our inability to get a taxi on the street or even to discern which taxis were actually for hire

Initially, I thought the incident was merely being in the wrong place at the wrong time. That is only partially accurate.

I am a firm believer of statistics and probabilities. Statistically, considering the potential dangers in Brazil together with the number of times I have visited Brazil, I was long overdue for an unpleasant incident to occur. This belief makes the incident seem less traumatic to me.

I am generally cautious and aware of my surroundings. I would not enjoy myself if I felt it necessary to constantly look over my shoulder for potential muggers. This would detract from my enjoyment in Brazil.

As I wrote, due to the current rise in crime in Brazil, travelers need to be aware that there is currently a major economic recession in Brazil with lots of unemployment.

The unemployment means that countless people have no jobs and have no regular source of income. Most guys have families to support. Not being able to support one's family creates a potentially explosive situation.

With hundreds of thousands of jobs lost in Brazil just this year, it doesn't take a genius to realize the clear and present danger to tourists or to anyone, for that matter.

As to taxis, it is possible to ask the guys at the sauna "check out desk" to call a taxi for you.

In addition to the saunas calling a cab for you, it is sometimes possible to get an upscale restaurant to call a taxi for you. Also, depending on the city you visit, hailing a cab from the street is relatively safe provided you pick a cab that has a light on the roof of the vehicle.

I have never had a major problem with taxis in Brazil. However, I once had a taxi driver with a bogus meter that was obvious. Each block we went, the meter increased one or two reais. Had I not protested to the driver, the typical ride of R$20 would have been R$200 with the rigged meter. That was an isolated instance. I have found that most cab companies in Brazil are reasonably honest.

Also, there are many taxi stands in Brazil near hotels and major attractions. Normally, you can find a taxi at a stand unless it is late at night.

Once again, visit Brazil with great enthusiasm. However, be aware of the potential threats created from Brazil's horrible inflation and recession.

-

So sorry to hear this happened to you. I know the stats are high for someone that visits so much but it still sucks and I hope you are OK soon!

I was robbed in Sao Paulo 2 times many years back at ATM's. The hotel told me not to go there alone. I did and paid for it.

I was robbed once in Rio by police when coming to hotel from Samba Gay about 4AM and they told part of my money in my wallet when they could find no drugs in the hotel car.

Shit happens and I got over it very fast and have returned many times since. But, I am a bit more careful where I go and what I do every time.

Guest parisrio2000

I know a sucos place where the owner can sell you a piece ...you can walk the streets of Rio packing major heat

• Members

MVAN1,even gypsy cabs can have a light on the roof. A credenciado taxí will have their originating location on each side of the car at the rear. Those are the only taxis to take.

• Members

MVAN1,even gypsy cabs can have a light on the roof. A credenciado taxí will have their originating location on each side of the car at the rear. Those are the only taxis to take.

My experience has shown that my method for choosing cabs is efficient, for me.

While it is true there are more scams in Rio, I never had a problem with my method of selecting a cab there either.

We each have to do what is most comfortable for each of us under the circumstances.

• Members

-

One of my favorite saunas guys was arrested over the weekend for mugging an English tourist.

The above quote came from my post # 30 above in the 4th paragraph.

Let me begin with a word that I find fascinating because the word has such strong meaning and applies to what I have written below. The word is wonderfully demonstrative. The word was originally a Yiddish word that has gained acceptance in the English language.

The word is chutzpah = shameless audacity; impudence; nerve

Remember, above I quoted a section of my earlier post that mentioned one of my favorite sauna boys being arrested over the weekend for mugging an English tourist. I did not mention that the tourist was a gay tourist that had been trying to engage the sauna boy for a brincadeira.

Anyway, here is where chutzpah is appropriate:

Tonight I received a collect phone call from the sauna boy who had been arrested, and remains in jail. Incredibly, he asked me to pay for a lawyer to represent him in his court case where he will be charged (as a second offense) in the mugging and robbery of the tourist. He said that if I did not pay for a good lawyer for him, I would not see him for a long time. After what he did to that English tourist, I don't want to see him ever again.

Obviously, because of what he did, I refused to hire a lawyer for him.

For some strange reason, the sauna guy does not realize what a turn off it is to me for him to have mugged a gay tourist. The sauna guy told me he did it because he needed the money.

I say nonsense. Three hours prior to mugging the Englishman, the sauna guy had spent time with me. He had plenty of money.

Later tonight, the sauna guy's wife called me also pleading that I hire a lawyer for the sauna guy. Her pleas were self serving. I ended the phone call asking her not to call me again.

chutzpah

• Members

Tonight I received a collect phone call from the sauna boy who had been arrested, and remains in jail. Incredibly, he asked me to pay for a lawyer to represent him in his court case where he will be charged (as a second offense) in the mugging and robbery of the tourist.

Pretty nervy, but real chutzpah would be billing you for phone sex. :rolleyes:

Guest parisrio2000

The above quote came from my post # 30 above in the 4th paragraph.

Let me begin with a word that I find fascinating because the word has such strong meaning and applies to what I have written below. The word is wonderfully demonstrative. The word was originally a Yiddish word that has gained acceptance in the English language.

The word is chutzpah = shameless audacity; impudence; nerve

Remember, above I quoted a section of my earlier post that mentioned one of my favorite sauna boys being arrested over the weekend for mugging an English tourist. I did not mention that the tourist was a gay tourist that had been trying to engage the sauna boy for a brincadeira.

Anyway, here is where chutzpah is appropriate:

Tonight I received a collect phone call from the sauna boy who had been arrested, and remains in jail. Incredibly, he asked me to pay for a lawyer to represent him in his court case where he will be charged (as a second offense) in the mugging and robbery of the tourist. He said that if I did not pay for a good lawyer for him, I would not see him for a long time. After what he did to that English tourist, I don't want to see him ever again.

Obviously, because of what he did, I refused to hire a lawyer for him.

For some strange reason, the sauna guy does not realize what a turn off it is to me for him to have mugged a gay tourist. The sauna guy told me he did it because he needed the money.

I say nonsense. Three hours prior to mugging the Englishman, the sauna guy had spent time with me. He had plenty of money.

Later tonight, the sauna guy's wife called me also pleading that I hire a lawyer for the sauna guy. Her pleas were self serving. I ended the phone call asking her not to call me again.

chutzpah

You have to do it. There is no other option.

• Members

" Three hours prior to mugging the Englishman, the sauna guy had spent time with me. He had plenty of money. Later tonight, the sauna guy's wife called me also pleading that I hire a lawyer for the sauna guy. Her pleas were self serving. I ended the phone call asking her not to call me again."

Mvan1, thanks for posting this further detail. It's a great reminder that some sauna guys simply see gay men as an easy source of money. I see their work as having a certain integrity when they provide a good service for a certain price. And this is why I disagree profoundly with what Parisrio2000 wrote: the sauna guy may be out of options, but he should have considered that before he mugged the gay man

• Members

To MVan1 and anyone else, I don't know much about Sao Paulo taxis, but here in Rio de Janeiro, I can remember three times during the past five years getting into taxis where I had problems. Each had a light on the roof. Each had a meter, which all turned out to be rigged. None were credentialed. I cannot remember ever getting into a credentialed cab where I had problems. Besides the fact that the drivers happened to be much more professional. Do what you wish. But just having a crappy cheap light on the roof is not the Holy Grail.

• Members

I had already used miles for tickets in July to Rio quite a few months ago. Cancelled.

Too many wonderful places in the world to travel where you need not be concerned for your life. Yes and even other places with lots of Boys with Big Dicks.

Colombia, Thailand, Spain and many more. Granted if saunas are your thing then Brazil rules.

Hopefully the economy will get better and the country will become safer. Until then the handwriting is on the wall. The reason airfares are plummeting and Hotel rates are way down is because the average person has decided it is not safe to travel there.

And apparently they are right!

• Members

I had already used miles for tickets in July to Rio quite a few months ago. Cancelled.

Too many wonderful places in the world to travel where you need not be concerned for your life. Yes and even other places with lots of Boys with Big Dicks.

Colombia, Thailand, Spain and many more. Granted if saunas are your thing then Brazil rules.

Hopefully the economy will get better and the country will become safer. Until then the handwriting is on the wall. The reason airfares are plummeting and Hotel rates are way down is because the average person has decided it is not safe to travel there.

And apparently they are right!

What a shame you felt compelled to cancel your scheduled July trip to Brazil.

I had a mugging during my last trip and I left Brazil earlier than I initially planned. I did not leave early because of fear of being in Brazil. I left early because I had obvious bruises and I got tired of people asking about the bruises that I sustained in the mugging. Even though it has been ten days since the incident, I still have bruises and a prominent black eye.

That mugging incident was the only such incident, for me, in more than eleven years of repeatedly visiting Brazil and more than one hundred different trips to Brazil.

While I intend to be more cautious while visiting Brazil in the future, I have no intention of canceling my future trips, one of which, is scheduled for next month.

You wrote "Too many wonderful places in the world to travel where you need not be concerned for your life" then you included Colombia in your list of countries.

For the record, Colombia has just as bad or worse a crime rate as does Brazil. Killings of motorists in car jacking are common in Colombia, according to news reports and the U.S. State Department.

You further wrote, "Granted if saunas are your thing then Brazil rules." I have to disagree with you here. While the saunas in Brazil are great, the Sauna Thermas in Barcelona is just as fine as Lagoa in Sao Paulo or Clube 117 in Rio.

Sauna Thermas in Barcelona was renovated a couple of years ago and is very clean and cheerful. Most of the employees at that sauna are extremely friendly. The place is open 24 hours each day and there are usually many rent boys available. The entrance price for the sauna is less than the entrance prices in Brazil. Prices for the rent boys are slightly higher in price than those in Brazil but the location (Europe versus South America) explain the price differential.

Statistically, there is no need to be “concerned for your life” while visiting Brazil as there is only a small chance of something negative happening to visitors.

Those who limit taking chances lose out on so many things. The ironic part is, statistics show there is a greater chance of being injured at home or in a local traffic accident than the risk of being injured at a vacation destination, including Brazil.

“The reason airfares are plummeting and Hotel rates are way down is because the average person has decided it is not safe to travel there.”

For a short period of time the airfares to Brazil were extremely low. The reason is partly due to low fuel costs and other reasons not disclosed by the airlines. However, as of now, the low fares have stopped and the fares have resumed to the normal fares. I cannot imagine any reputable airline lowering its fares to Brazil because it is not safe to travel there. If that were the case, there would be lawsuits galore against airlines in the event of a tourist being injured in Brazil.

As to hotel rates being down, I have to disagree with you on that. While in Rio, I stay at the Marriott and have done so for many years. The rate has varied over time but is generally in the middle two hundred dollars for each day. I would not call that rate low. When the U. S. dollar was trading at less than 2 -1, of course rates were higher. The favorable exchange rate has caused the hotel rates to mitigate a large part of Brazil’s inflation.

Bottom line, I think you like Thailand rather than Brazil. There is nothing wrong with that. We all like different things. If we were all the same and we only liked one thing, what a deadly dull world this would be.

• Members

where were you mugged?

i will be there next week

T

-

See post # 30 above for details

The fact that you will be in Brazil next week should not be a cause of concern for you.

As I wrote earlier, I was in the wrong place at the time of the incident.

Probability wise, you will be able to visit Brazil without any problems. You have statistics on your side.

• Members

It is amazing to me that some posters do not realize that just because they have had many trips to Brazil where nothing happened to them , that it means there is not a signifigant increase in danger at this time.

When posters who live there post that it is becoming less safe , I tend to listen.

Mvan chooses to return and that is his right . I think what he does not seem to realize is apparently there are a lot more places now that are the wrong places to be.

There can be no argument that the economy is in shambles in Brazil and this alone it makes it less safe.

Of course statistics can be skewed in many ways and if all you look is at reported crime rates then I would not visit Chicago.

In fact where I might go in Chicago is probably very safe.

Rio for years has been a place where you don't venture into areas even 1 block off the Beach and you take all the precautions of Tomcal etc.

I have just finished a trip to Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, Kracow, Warsaw and all of Southern Ireland. Not once did I feel that I had to be careful where I went . I have never felt that comfortable in any of my 5 trips to Brazil which for me is mostly Rio.

My recent cancelled trip would have been strictly a Tourist trip with friends from High School.

After reading IPguy 's reports and many other reports of the economy collapse , I choose to cancel the trip.

Certainly there is enough information here and in news reports for anyone to make an informed decision about safety concerns.

I have made mine and hope we will not see any more reports here of members being attacked!