redxs

First time in Rio... help ;-)

• Members

Hello guys

Apologies if this has been covered already.
I'm an English guy visiting Rio for first time 25 November. I speak only English. Anyone in town fancy meeting up for a beer or that? Can you message me and say hello.
Also, I like bodybuilders / muscle men. Where is good to find them? Can you recommend any? Ideally I'd like a muscleman to stay overnight with me, where can I find him and what are overnight rates? (I'm blond and fit UK guy).
Any good gay friendly hotels, not too expensive, ok with men staying overnight? At the minute I have provisionally booked Ibis Copacabana but can cancel this if you suggest something better.
Also I am in town a week, apart from the men, any recommendations on what to do in the days, anything special on?
Can't wait!
Thanks for your advice in advance x

Guest lurkerspeaks

THere are three threads pinned at the beginning of this forum. They will give you some insight to Rio, and the "workings" of the working boys. Read everything you can here and that should be a good starting point. Most hotels in Rio do not allow visitors or else charge a fee for visitors. For that reason, and the skyrocketing hotel prices, many of us have moved on from hotels and have rented apartments for our visits to Rio..

• Members

I'm sure you will get plenty of help here from more knowledgeable people then I.

But I would certainly suggest you stay in Ipanema rather then Copa and since you are have reservations at the Copacabana , your budget will get you anything you want.

My main thoughts Ipanema is much safer, Gay beaches are better etc etc etc. Some members will be able to give you possible apartments and I have found VRBO and AIRBNB very useful for apartments.

IMHO, I don't really find much difference between Copa and Ipanema in terms of safety, safety is more a function of being smart then either of those two locales both of which are among the safest in Rio. I stayed exclusively in Copa the first 10 years going to Rio and the last 4 years exclusively in Ipanema, which the two are really a continuous area. If I walk from where I stayed in copa to where I now stay in Ipanema its about a 15 min walk along the beach. In over 500 nights staying there over the years I never had a issue at either area. Ipanema is more "high end", has more defined gay beach and street(rua farme de amoedo), and a Citibank branch and atm, the only American bank there.

The Ibis will have you check in a guest but I don't know if they charge you for a guest(make sure you book double occupancy) BUT...I don't recommend a first timer have overnight guests, but if you must, make sure it's a sauna guy as their i.D. is known at the sauna!(this is a classic case of "do as I say not as I do) lol

I am back the first week in December, but only spending a couple days in Rio after having a incredibly great time in Sao Paulo 2 months ago, so going to see if I can repeat the experiences!

based on what you wrote, your best chances of finding a number of guys that are your type would be at Club 117

• Members

I'm sure you will get plenty of help here from more knowledgeable people then I.

But I would certainly suggest you stay in Ipanema rather then Copa and since you are have reservations at the Copacabana , your budget will get you anything you want.

My main thoughts Ipanema is much safer, Gay beaches are better etc etc etc. Some members will be able to give you possible apartments and I have found VRBO and AIRBNB very useful for apartments.

This will sound crazy... but I can't find any apartments in my budget that I like. I would like a fairly modern and minimal furnished apartment with... A DECENT SIZED BATHROOM! All the bathrooms seem tiny and for me this is a deal clincher lol

Any suggestions on decent apartments in a good gay muscle area hehe

• Members

No idea what your budget is? But in general the apartments you will find in Rio pale in comparison to many other places in the world both in quality and price.

Currently I have Ibis Copacabana for $255 per night (total 2044.40 BRL). The hotel seems to get good reviews.

The apartments ​I have seen either seem to be really poky or jump to super expensive luxury suites... I just want something decent and reasonably priced.

If I find something else I can cancel Ibis. Maybe I should go closer to the gay beach?

• Members

This will sound crazy... but I can't find any apartments in my budget that I like. I would like a fairly modern and minimal furnished apartment with... A DECENT SIZED BATHROOM! All the bathrooms seem tiny and for me this is a deal clincher lol

Any suggestions on decent apartments in a good gay muscle area hehe

From what I've gleaned over the years, apartments in Rio don't come cheap, especially the ones that you'd desire. The company that I used in 2011 had reasonably priced apartment; ours was satisfactory. Today it is no longer in business. It's the one that TomCal previously used.

So, for this trip, you might have to go over budget to get what you want! :( :(

PS Have your tried www.airbnb.com for your Rio stay? I don't know the rates, but my Barcelona and Berlin apartments were super in all ways, and they "did not cost me an arm and leg for my week's stay in each.

I have stayed in a apartment in Ipanema for the past 4 years, 2 blocks from the gay beach, across the street from the Metro/subway entrance and it is 2 bedrooms/2 baths, modern, flat screen TV's in both bedrooms and living room, free wifi, a number of posters on here have been there =(florida rob stayed with me last trip and I pay $140/night. If you search around and make a effort to check out you can come up with apts. you like.

"Any suggestions on decent apartments in a good gay muscle area hehe"
that describes the beach in Ipanema at Posto 9, where Rua Farme de Amoedo interects the beach.

Guest loganguydc

All of my trips I have booked exclusively at the Ibis Copa. I have had guys over all the time and have never been questioned. I do book the room as double occupancy.

$255 per NIGHT??? It should be about $75 USD per night.

All of my trips I have booked exclusively at the Ibis Copa. I have had guys over all the time and have never been questioned. I do book the room as double occupancy.

Can you give me some feedback on the Ibis Copa? I looked into that hotel before because of the price but have never stayed there...How as the rooms, distance to the beach and access to the metro? Thanks

• Members

Brazilian Reais R$ man lol

• Members

Hey guys

I arrive in Rio on 24 November and staying in Copacabana.

If anyone is in town and would like to meet up for a beer or that message me. English speaker here travelling alone so would be nice to meet up for friendly company and be shown the ropes.

Also, any last minute advice / tips... I hear the beaches have gangs of kids robbing people on them???

... I hear the beaches have gangs of kids robbing people on them???

This is nothing new, has been going on since 2001 when I started going to Rio, But....it is much more a "snatch and grab"! the beach goers that are targeted are the ones who have a phone in their hand or a bag/purse hanging on the back of their chair, etc. the kids run thru fast grab and keep running, by the time you get out of the low slung rental beach chairs they are a 100 yds away in the crowd. I have said this before, take NOTHING with you to the beach! except enough money to rent a chair, umbrella and buy drinks. You won't have a problem...and its not that frequent, usually always done on weekends or holidays when the beach is packed so you would have difficulty chasing after them. I personally in all my trips have only witnessed this once and it was a middleaged women decked out with a necklace and talking on her phone when a young teen came running by and grabbed the phone out of her hand and kept running.

except for the reading, you can get all the rest at the beach! wear your flip flops, and bring R$30 - 40 with you and you are set for the beach I would not recommend carrying a beach bag unless you are not planning on putting anything of value in it. OR....do what I do and take 2 or 4 guys with you, will end up costing you more then $40.R but you have your own built in security detail and you will have way more fun at the beach then by yourself! :sorcerer:

Many times when I am there I run into guys from the saunas and they will hand me their watch or phone to hang on to while they go for a swim and then come back and pick them up and say "see you tonight at the sauna!" lol

Hey guys

I arrive in Rio on 24 November and staying in Copacabana.

If anyone is in town and would like to meet up for a beer or that message me. English speaker here travelling alone so would be nice to meet up for friendly company and be shown the ropes.

Also, any last minute advice / tips... I hear the beaches have gangs of kids robbing people on them???

Rio is pretty much like any other country... city in the world...if you look like an easy mark, you will be targeted...

I have never had any problems and I am almost too American when it comes to the beach situation...I take a book bag that has my flip flops I change into on the beach and stash my magazines, snacks, water and towels there...Ill then change out of my shorts and tank and put that into the bags....I have never, never had any problems in Rio....

What I will suggest regardless of what you choose to take it be aware of your surroundings at all time and try not to appear like a tourist....

You want to be as comfortable as possible so you should be able to take things that may you comfortable....

Try to surround yourself either with other families on the beach OR station yourself near police....Ipanema have police very close to the beaches

• Members

except for the reading, you can get all the rest at the beach! wear your flip flops, and bring R$30 - 40 with you and you are set for the beach I would not recommend carrying a beach bag unless you are not planning on putting anything of value in it. OR....do what I do and take 2 or 4 guys with you, will end up costing you more then $40.R but you have your own built in security detail and you will have way more fun at the beach then by yourself! :sorcerer:

Many times when I am there I run into guys from the saunas and they will hand me their watch or phone to hang on to while they go for a swim and then come back and pick them up and say "see you tonight at the sauna!" lol

Hehe which beach do the muscle / sauna guys hang out at?

And what would they expect in return for a days beach company?

• Members

Beach info recommendations:

30 or 40 Reais is not enough to bring if you plan on spending the day

15 Reais for one chair and the umbrella.

5 Reias for a soft drink

15 Reais for a caipirinha

Empanadas, salgados and sanduiches naturais run from 3 or 4 to 10.

One needs some extra money anyway to send beers to any cuties you might have interest in.

Depending on the barraca they will take a debit or credit card. And will order in food for you from restaurant off of the beach.

Do bring your smart phone. The barracas near Farme de Amoedo offer free wifi so you might even hook up for the afternoon and evening with someone else on the beach at the same time via Grindr, Scruff, Disponivel, etc. Before selecting which barraca ask if the " O wifi e funcionando?"

Most of the mobs arrastoes happen closer to Arpoador and where there is less of a concentration of beach goers. I have never felt very safe at Copa in comparison with Ipa. Lately, although the policy is definitely racist, the police have been stopping buses coming from the north zones to the beaches and getting tough with the adolescents. I went for about 4 days running during the beginning of November and saw the stoppages and interrogations.

The barracas will hold your backpacks/mochilas for you. You run a tab with them anyway and settle up as you leave.

I always place my backpack around the post and then the umbrella slides into the post. No one is going to bother with mine that way.

The pants get placed above the ribs of the sun umbrella. And if I have a belt, the belt gets fastened as well around the post.

• Members

take as little as possible to the beach. you may take an old iphone, just to be able to listen to the music and little money, actually just for umbrella, drinks.

when you meet a boy, you can ask him for a 24 hour arrangement. it will cost you between 200 - 300 reaiis, dependin on your wish and the look of the boy.

below is a guy i met at 117 and took to the beach nex day...

post-126413-0-50347600-1448278093_thumb.

• Members

take as little as possible to the beach. you may take an old iphone, just to be able to listen to the music and little money, actually just for umbrella, drinks.

when you meet a boy, you can ask him for a 24 hour arrangement. it will cost you between 200 - 300 reaiis, dependin on your wish and the look of the boy.

below is a guy i met at 117 and took to the beach nex day...

I am curious what you do with a suana boy at the beach. Unless you speak Portugese, I would imagine there is a lot of awkward silent moment. And most of the sauna boys seem only want to know if you are passivo or activo.