TownsendPLocke

Rentboy.com case has come down to this charge

• Members

The principal of the site, Jeffery Hurrant, has pleaded guilty to "Promoting Prostitution" and "Conspiracy to commit Money Laundering"  and may be sentenced to jail time and will face penalties of at least $10,000,000 , sentencing is set for February 2,2017 

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/rentboy-ceo-pleads-guilty-promoting-prostitution-42646481 

• Members

Is that ten MILLION dollars? That's an incredibly high fine to stick to an individual versus a rich corporation.

Okay, I looked at the article and it says he waives his right to appeal any fine of ten million or less. So, it could be less. What's the point of imposing a fine that a guy can't pay?

• Members

Jeffrey Hurrant's statement "

On Friday, the 7th of October, 2016 I pleaded guilty to the charge of promoting prostitution using the facilities of interstate commerce.

It was a major step towards putting what has been the darkest period in my entire life behind me. I am very grateful for the deep and real support you have shown for me, the other defendants and Rentboy.com itself.

To everyone who was negatively affected by the raid, I say that I am sorry. We tried our best with pride and integrity, but perhaps we were ahead of our time, and a sadly a little too proud inside the safe confines of our pink bubble. There will be a brighter future ahead for all of us.

After anger, denial, bargaining, depression and bouts of acceptance I arrived at humility. From a sincere place of humbleness, I recited the following before Judge Levy in Brooklyn Federal Court:

My name is Jeffrey David Hurant. I am 51 years old. I hereby plead guilty with the following allocution:

"Between January 1996 and August 2015, I owned and operated a website called Rentboy.com.

I agreed with others to accept payments from multiple advertisers and promoted their exchange of sexual conduct in return for a fee in violation of New York State law."

• Members

I wish Jeffrey the best.  I selfishly hoped he would be able to fight this to the end and win.  But, I realize that when the cards are stacked against you have to make unpleasant decisions.  I think it is especially unjust to seize someone's funds when charged if it infringes on them being able to mount a strenuous defense.