Lucky

Brazil Saunas: Their Days Are Numbered

Guest bobbalino

The history/chronology of rentboy culture in Rio is well documented in Gregory Mitchell's book Tourist Attractions. Hustlers (miches) and their admirers in mid 20th century and thru military regime 1964-85 and beyond, the trend to structure trade indoors in sauna environments commencing in the late 1990s. 

• Members
1 hour ago, bobbalino said:

Sorry, bobbalino, the site is exceptionally off today. I meant to reply to tomcal's statement: "The mayor who i believe has been in office since 2009 is not a threat to the gay life stlye.. "

Now, tomcal, surely you don't think that the London Guardian is posting 7 year old stories? The election is being reported in today's news. And no problem for gays? You say that because...?

During campaigning the 59-year-old faced uproar over comments made in a 1999 book where he described homosexuality as evil and the Roman Catholic church as demonic. (bbc.com Oct.31, 2016)

And, from thebubble.com:

In a video from 2012 that has since been deleted, Crivella preached to his congregation that gay people deserved compassion. Sounds like an unobjectionable principle until he explains why: homosexuality is a result of suffering in the womb, specifically the kind of suffering that results from unsuccessful abortions. Crivella went on to compare their suffering to that of children born into poverty in favelas who, like gay children, are born into desperation after their mothers have tried to abort them.

Lucky it appears we are talking about two different mayors! You are referring to the newly elected. I was talking about the mayor from 2009 to present although does not appear to be much difference in their religious views and "Evangelicals" make up 1/5 of the population of Brazil and growing!  It is interesting in that i have approximately 80 former and present sauna guys as FB friends and almost all of them comment about thanking god or praying to him in their posts!

Guest bobbalino

Crivella has not condemned anybody ... rather, in the past he has grouped everyone not an evangelical, including Catholics (Brazil has the most RCs of any nation), Africans as a race (huge African diaspora in Brazil), Hindus, and homosexuals, etc etc as being naturally condemned/compromised by virtue of demonic possession.

Homosexuals are not preternaturally demonically condemned as an isolated group. They tend not to be evangelical Christian ... are therefore 'fucked' along with the 78% of Brazilians who do not belong to his church or the evangelical bloc (holds 32% of seats federally). The power is disproportionate, yes, but religious fundamentalism is not viewed as the answer by a majority of Brazilians.

He is the Trump that made it because the populace is fed up and jaded by the alternatives. Right place, right time. Unlike Trump, he has backpedalled (just enough to get 60% of the Rio vote against his one opponent) on a great deal of his 50 shades of batshit crazy assertions. The church is a media empire and gaining popularity because a lot of people are gullible about the existence of demons. Like in places in the world where 60% believe ETs exist on the planet.

He has realigned his goals somewhat with what really is troubling the nation and city. He was a federal senator for a number of years. Otherwise, on religious grounds, I think his priority is to fight pro-choice (the cause of homosexuality and other "ills"), and non-traditional marriage. And he may try to integrate exorcism into the health care system, likely an elective procedure. Though the practitioners will have to volunteer because there are no funds currently for civil servants or police vehicle gas/maintenance.

I think that as long as I don't cause a fuss or draw a lot of attention to myself or my inherent demonic possession I will be able to continue to frequent our beloved establishments with impunity. The evangelical and pro-Crivella base is more saturated in other geographic districts. As for the subject of equal marriage and your fave boytoy, you might be advised to "put a ring on it" sooner than later.

• Members

...and from what Tom presented today and another gent who had shared in 1999 at "the other site," :smile:--my interests piqued and I began my exploration and I tried to visit "The Marvelous City" whenever.  It's been 11Xs to date.  Hope I'll be able to return in 2017 after not being there since 2011.  :smile:  :heart::heart:  :smile:

Just now, axiom2001 said:

...and from what Tom presented today and another gent who had shared in 1999 at "the other site," :smile:--my interests piqued and I began my exploration and I tried to visit "The Marvelous City" whenever.  It's been 11Xs to date.  Hope I'll be able to return in 2017 after not being there since 2011.  :smile:  :heart::heart:  :smile:

A lot of growth and changes but the bones are still the same...

Prices change..the boys come and go and the clubs close but the real Rio is is still there 

25 minutes ago, Badboy81 said:

I can't beleve you have only been going for the last 15 years...

Imagine what is was like in the 90s...

I tried to make up for my delay in going to Brazil the first time in 2001 by going 4 or 5 times a year since 2001, so usually my longest time away is around 3 months, although after my January trip there, instead of going back to Brazil in March,  i am going back to Mexico(but I am taking a Brazilerio with me!) :-)

2 hours ago, Tomcal said:

I tried to make up for my delay in going to Brazil the first time in 2001 by going 4 or 5 times a year since 2001, so usually my longest time away is around 3 months, although after my January trip there, instead of going back to Brazil in March,  i am going back to Mexico(but I am taking a Brazilerio with me!) :-)

I was thinking about investing in some property there but a friend who lives there told me to continue doing as I have and stay at apartments and hotels since owning in Rio is a hassle...

I have been going 3-4 times a year since I started as well...I think once I slow down going to other countries, Rio will be the main place...

I also have a long time until I retire....that free time and flexibility has to be great