Tomcal

Merida Mexico

This city of 1m people has made 3 different lists this in 2017

1)Fortune Magazine Rated it #3 of the top 10 travel trends in the world

2) Cnn/money top places to retire abroad and rated Merida #1  

3) Lonely Planet rated Merida in the top 10 of world for travelers Safety and Colonial Architecture!

Here is part of the article:

On the northern coast of the Yucatan Peninsula lies bustling Merida, the 14th-largest city in Mexico (pop. 777,615). A rich history has left Merida with beautiful Spanish and French Colonial mansions, some of which have been converted into hotels. Others are up for grabs.

Just check out this drool-worthy, 15,200-square-foot mansionwith modern amenities, for just $1 million. For those of more modest means, Merida is rife with pastel homes like this one, with 3,000 square feet, for just $104,000.

"This is where I want to live for the rest of my life," says Jim Mann, 65, who moved to Merida 16 years ago from Virginia and is now the owner of Merida Yucatan Real Estate. "The people are one of my favorites about Merida. They are so warm, friendly, and genuine."

Merida is also among the safest major cities in Mexico, with little of the drug-related crime and political unrest that have plagued other metros.

Americans need to set up a bank trust first—and then you have the right to use, renovate, and sell your home, but a Mexican bank holds the title in your name. The trust is valid for 50 years and then can be renewed for another 50. It can also be passed down to heirs.

Americans can visit in Mexico for 180 days without a visa, but will need one for longer stays. Buying property in the country makes it easier to obtain a temporary resident visa for up to four years. But if you want to work, you must have a job offer and obtain a work permit.

The photo below is my house which was used by the New York post for article it had on Merida a month ago!

PS Jim Mann was not my real estate agent but i have met him and is a very good guy and openly gay!

IMG_7421.PNG

• Members
4 hours ago, Tomcal said:

Today the rate is 17.55 pesos to the dollar at the height it was i think just over 21 pesos but seems to hang around 18 give or take a few cents.  Still great pricing especially as growth is projected both in population and tourism.

True, tomcal. But that's almost like a 20% appreciation of the value of the property. Definitely a city I would like to visit soon. It seems that Mexico is becoming the retirement destination for North Americans. 

• Members

Hi Tom:

I was looking at the price of one specific condo in Merida and after I did the exchange calculation it was only around $20K CDN.  Is that possible?  I would love to buy a winter place down there and escape the harsh winters of Northern Ontario, Canada.  Thanks.

Guest KevinC
2 hours ago, Ojibear said:

Hi Tom:

I was looking at the price of one specific condo in Merida and after I did the exchange calculation it was only around $20K CDN.  Is that possible?  I would love to buy a winter place down there and escape the harsh winters of Northern Ontario, Canada.  Thanks.

Please show me the link.

• Members
  • Members
On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎17 at 3:25 PM, Tomcal said:

Ojibear,  those are not listed in pesos but in U.S. prices!  Jim Mann who I referenced above is the listing agent.  Even a run down total fixer upper would go for  $40,000. U.S.

I think I could swing 100 to 150 grand for a condo.  A small condo in my home town goes for around 180K.

Guest bobbalino

Yes and no ... I understand legality and regulatory systems are state-specific. I do not know if either client or worker can be indicted technically. I think I saw some ambiguous info on wiki a while back.

Guest KevinC
17 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

I find it interesting that so many friends I have know from my trips to Canada, Thailand and Spain are now spending more and more time in Mexico.  Is prostitution legal there?

Probably because sex in Mexico is cheaper than Canada, Thailand or Spain now.  And it is close to the U.S., so, shorter and cheaper flight. But to me, Most Mexicans are not attractive.  There are just too many short, choppy Mexicans.  And unlike Brazilians, Mexican guys don't put focus on their body image, there is only a small percentage of ppl in Mexico going to gym (same in Colombia, but Colombian guys have more handsome faces and are not short or choppy).  I suspect in Mexico's meat market, you may find mostly "slim/defined" bodies, and that's about it.  No gym toned or muscular bodies.

Kevin i thought the same as you before my friend convinced me to come down here over a year ago.  And the majority of guys are like the majority of guys you would find in LA or Chicago or NYC in a gay bar, but the ones that are for hire keep themselves in better shape then average!  Then there is a sub group which are the guys that hang not in the gay bars but with the older(over 40) business professionals, these were the guys that came to the first party i threw and were as hot as any Brazilian i have ever been with! And that is a pretty strong statement on my part!  I am sure the resort cities like Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, etc are the same or better, IMHO!

Guest bobbalino

I will be in PV Sept ... you can find some images of the lineup of dancers at Wet or Antroplogy. IMO more consistent with Kevin's take than Tom's take.

But Tom you are a superhuman truffle pig, I mean "pig" in the most affectionate/admiring way of course. It is simply unfair to the rest of us. 

And the PV pics may not include a higher quality behind the scenes cadre of super-hotties. 

Tom, if you are truly on the money, how are we mere mortals to decide MEX vs BRZ each trip?!

Just to reiterate, Kevin asked me specifically about Merida!  other cites especially the resort cities are more expensive! although I had a stripper from Cancun who was spending the week in Merida and he charged double (1000 pesos  $50.US and stayed about 4 hours) There is no difference if you are top or bttm, officially but if you are a top you will definitely get more attention.  the guys seem to want to spend time with you before and after if you aren't a jerk.  I have never had a guy stay for less then 2 hours and usually much longer.

Guest KevinC

Hmmm....very interesting.  Most of the garotos in Brazil say they are top.  You are saying most rent boys in Mexico are bottom...this is quite a contrast.

43 minutes ago, KevinC said:

Hmmm....very interesting.  Most of the garotos in Brazil say they are top.  You are saying most rent boys in Mexico are bottom...this is quite a contrast.

Kevin in reality there is no contrast! 1) first rule of the saunas, dont believe 50% of what the sauna guys tell you and seriously doubt the other 50% until you get to know them away from the sauna! :-)

this has been discussed a while ago but let me reiterate it here, while 90% of the guys in sauna say they are only "activo" in reality once they get to know you 90+% will/do bottom! You have to remember in the testostorone filled enviorment of the sauna locker room the guys dont want to admit they bottom or even worse like it! Of the 5 guys that most frequently stay at the apt in Rio with me, 3 only "top" in the sauna but all 4 bttm privately!

Bottom line there is no difference between Mexico and Brazil in the % of tops and bttms, IMHO!