Guest bobbalino

Grisalhos and Rio Metro

Guest bobbalino

I recently discovered that, by law, idade 65+ Metro users ride for free. I recently reached this milestone. I have done it on Metro and VLT. The hitch is one is required to show proof. I am reluctant to carry my passport but it has been hit and miss attempting to use my color xerox copy.

Having the often hunky Metro cops get their fob out to turnstile me through is an added bonus. I am milking this. Puns intended. 

I am eventually going to try with the passport xerox along with my non-photo Canada province laminated card-size birth certificate. 

If I am not mistaken Brasilian citizens can get a special ID predicated on proof of residency/status age 60+

Guest bobbalino

I forgot to mention that when I rode free in July I discovered that the cash you build on the VLT card is essentially real money like a gift card but for some strange reason it expires after 120 days. Oddly, the unitario Metro cards do not seem to expire although they are not cash loaded and fares may go up. It should be the other way around. An attendant suggestd I try to get a refund when I am in Rio next. 

• Members

Is it the case that non-Brasilians must be 65, but Brasilians only 60 to get the free Metro rides? Here are the rules from the Metro's English language site. One obtains a Free Pass Card, but I have never gotten the card, I just show the ID, and it always works.

How to register

To get the free pass card, all applicants must attend the Free Pass Counter at the Central Station, during business days, from Monday to Friday 8 am to 6 pm.

Senior citizens (65 years of age or older)

They must submit:

• Original ID card
  • Recent proof of residence (from one of the last three months)

• Members
On 11/25/2017 at 3:20 AM, bobbalino said:

I recently discovered that, by law, idade 65+ Metro users ride for free. I recently reached this milestone. I have done it on Metro and VLT. The hitch is one is required to show proof. I am reluctant to carry my passport but it has been hit and miss attempting to use my color xerox copy.

Having the often hunky Metro cops get their fob out to turnstile me through is an added bonus. I am milking this. Puns intended. 

I am eventually going to try with the passport xerox along with my non-photo Canada province laminated card-size birth certificate. 

If I am not mistaken Brasilian citizens can get a special ID predicated on proof of residency/status age 60+

If you have an expired US driver’s license, use that. Very few in Brazil will know or care that it is expired, and if you lose it or it is stolen, it won’t matter because it’s expired.