BiBottomBoy

Matt Lauer Fired

As if that jacket weren't cause enough...

013117-matt-lauer-primary-1.jpg

...this revolution in taking women seriously is maybe the best thing since the Civil Rights Act of 1965.

And many leap-forward progresses since, like the MA state supreme court ruling in 1986 that Marriage Inequality is Injust and Stupid!

Goodbye & good riddance, Matt.

8 hours ago, RockHardNYC said:

Matt Lauer is one of the nicest guys I've ever worked with. I, too, would be curious to know his transgressions.

There certainly is a danger that this -- long-needed and long-overdue, absolutely -- movement to at last take women's professional-abuse accusations seriously is about to spiral up into the witch hunt that we descendants of Salem (speaking figuratively) have long been prey to.

81d931ba68f252712be9818b71cb2534--book-c

Just saw this. Variety usually gets it right.

Variety magazine has the Matt Lauer sexual harassment details and they are bad—really, really bad

“The Today Show” abruptly announced that Matt Lauer had been fired for “inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace.” Variety magazine had been working on a story about Matt Lauer’s behavior for months, behavior which was apparently known by many at NBC for more than a decade. Here are some of the rage-inducing details:

As the co-host of NBC’s “Today,” Matt Lauer once gave a colleague a sex toy as a present. It included an explicit note about how he wanted to use it on her, which left her mortified.

On another day, he summoned a different female employee to his office, and then dropped his pants, showing her his penis. After the employee declined to do anything, visibly shaken, he reprimanded her for not engaging in a sexual act.

He used his position and clout at NBC to prey on women looking to grow their own careers, taking advantage of them while traveling for work. And according to the sources who spoke with Vanity, NBC management protected and enabled Lauer at all costs. He even had a special button installed on his desk:

Lauer, who was paranoid about being followed by tabloid reporters, grew more emboldened at 30 Rockefeller Center as his profile rose following Katie Couric’s departure from “Today” in 2006. His office was in a secluded space, and he had a button under his desk that allowed him to lock his door from the inside without getting up. This afforded him the assurance of privacy. It allowed him to welcome female employees and initiate inappropriate contact while knowing nobody could walk in on him, according to two women who were sexually harassed by Lauer.

He targeted young female employees traveling with him for work, because of course he did:

According to sources, the sexual harassment extended to when Lauer traveled on assignment for NBC. Several employees recall how he paid intense attention to a young woman on his staff that he found attractive, focusing intently on her career ambitions. And he asked the same producer to his hotel room to deliver him a pillow, according to sources with knowledge of the interaction.

This was part of a pattern. According to multiple accounts, independently corroborated by Variety, Lauer would invite women employed by NBC late at night to his hotel room while covering the Olympics in various cities over the years. He later told colleagues how his wife had accompanied him to the London Olympics because she didn’t trust him to travel alone.

He’ll have plenty of free time to spend with his wife now. If she isn’t already meeting with divorce attorneys. 

Who’s next?

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/11/29/1719596/-Variety-magazine-has-the-Matt-Lauer-sexual-harassment-details-and-they-are-bad-really-really-bad

• Members

We're experiencing a watershed moment for all the women who have been dogged by men in power. Karma can be a beast, and she don't need a court of law to indict and destroy a life.

Matt Lauer is now saying, “Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I’m committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full time job."

Men in power often think they can say and do anything they want, especially to subordinates. Men in power often mistake subordinate fawning and professional respect for sexual attraction. When the men in power are famous and wealthy, the feelings are magnified beyond belief.

I worked with Matt before Katie Couric left the "Today" show. Their relationship was as close to brother/sister as I have ever witnessed in a professional setting. I thoroughly enjoyed working with both of them.

You don't truly know someone until you finally think you've learned enough.

I wish Matt a lot of luck on his new job. Time can heal a lot of wounds, but it can take a lot longer than we may initially realize.

• Members
12 hours ago, BiBottomBoy said:

And to be fair - he's leaving a millioinaire.

The girl he assaulted isn't.

And his attorneys are trying to get him paid $30M which represents the remainder of this contract!!! But, his contract also has a morals clause. I really hope he doesn't get another dime from the network. From what I've read his actions were horrendous and was known by the network for years.

The firing, HMOP, was justified. He deserves nothing more than the shame he brought upon himself and his his poor family.

• Members
22 hours ago, OneFinger said:

And his attorneys are trying to get him paid $30M which represents the remainder of this contract!!! But, his contract also has a morals clause. I really hope he doesn't get another dime from the network. From what I've read his actions were horrendous and was known by the network for years.

The firing, HMOP, was justified. He deserves nothing more than the shame he brought upon himself and his his poor family.

I agree that he shouldn't be paid but I'll bet there is a partial settlement.  I'll bet there's plenty of dirt that could fall NBC's way.  Note that their 1st statement said they had no idea about any of his behavior and that statement was later revised that "current management" had not idea about any of his behavior.  Sounds to me like dirt has been swept under the rug on his behavior for years and that puts NBC at legal risk.  I feel that NBC wants this to go away as soon as possible and that they will make a confidential settlement with Matt to avoid any future legal action over his contract.

• Members

A question that never seems to come up.....With Lauer being one of the youngest accused he has children that I think are under the age of 14.  What do you tell them?  They are used to daddy being a big deal, front row seats to macy parade, probably the olympics etc.  How do you prepare your children for what is to come at school, out in public or in the media?????