TotallyOz

IHG Points Stolen - Merry Xmas

I went to check my balance of points yesterday, should have been a lot of points. But, could not log in.  I tried a few times and called IHG.  They asked some weird questions and then said my account had been hacked and that all my points were used in Tokyo for a Chinese family to stay at the Intercontinental Hotel during December but they were already checked out.

I was shocked as I have never heard of anything like this. The hacker had apparently got into my account, changed my email to his, used the points for redemption and then book a stay for several rooms.  I don't know how it was possible to change this information but it was done.

IHG said they would investigate and call me back in a few days.

Anyone ever hear of this kind of theft with points?

• Members
1 hour ago, TotallyOz said:

I went to check my balance of points yesterday, should have been a lot of points. But, could not log in.  I tried a few times and called IHG.  They asked some weird questions and then said my account had been hacked and that all my points were used in Tokyo for a Chinese family to stay at the Intercontinental Hotel during December but they were already checked out.

I was shocked as I have never heard of anything like this. The hacker had apparently got into my account, changed my email to his, used the points for redemption and then book a stay for several rooms.  I don't know how it was possible to change this information but it was done.

Hahahaha---Yup me right now. 

Usually they get giftcards.

They'll put the points back. I had 300K stolen in August, changed email and password. Then a week ago 500K taken. They returned it, changed my email and pin. Bang, today another 500K taken and returned. Bizarre. Hard to change # as it's linked to IHG credit card. But will have to do that somehow. 

I have at least 30 FT accounts and this is the only one ever hacked. Why? Because it's the only one to just use a 4-digit pin code for a password. In 2017 ! Once you have an account number (choose one) it's easy as pie to run a program to go through 9999 pins. I check my app every day and as soon as I see the total down I call. They can usually stop the withdrawal transaction right away.

At least I know they're not just after me. Btw...they don't get back to you....you have to keep calling them. Program the # in Contacts. You'll be using it a lot.

• Members
1 hour ago, TotallyOz said:

Tassojunior is correct, IHG will restore the stolen points to your account after they satisfy themselves that your account was hacked by someone not known to you.  

On a related matter, there is a well know site for travelers.  The site is called flyertalk.com.

It just so happens that you and tassojunior are merely two of many others who have had your IHG account hacked. 

Here is a link to a thread on flyertalk that discusses the breach and the lack of meaningful security for the 4 digit PIN that IHG uses and the fact that the points get put back in after the "investigation" is concluded.  Some of the other advice found at the below link is good advice - 

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1823523-warning-3rd-party-source-possible-ihg-data-breach-member-information-leaked.html

• Members

I really enjoy IHG.  I'm in a Crown Plaza right now.  Every IHG hotel (all the Holiday Inn's are included) has a great internet system for returning members.  Log in once and you're logged in for your whole stay on a faster internet service not available to non IHG guests.   I've never had my points stolen.

• Members
5 hours ago, tassojunior said:

So my stablely slow genius finally kicked in and I figured how to protect my points. 

Simply reserve as many room nights as you have points for well in advance. (6 months? 12 months?). You can cancel for full immediate redeposit anytime. 

You might know that several of the major chain hotels are putting in very strict cancellation policies.  Some policies are changing by the month or two.  You should determine the number of days you will need to cancel the protective reservations you made so that you will not be charged for one day or a penalty fee of $250.00 (or more).

As you know, IHG is the umbrella company for several different hotel names.  Each hotel has a different policy for reservation cancellations.  

Also, late last year, Hyatt (not part of IHG) put in a one week cancellation policy then changed it a few times, depending on the "status" of the hotel guest.   Marriott now has a 24 hour policy as does SPG.

Hotels are going the way of the airlines in charging for cancellations and changes.  

Another unfriendly thing IHG does with its Intercontinental hotels is if you check in and later change the number of days originally requested and leave early.   For example, last November I stayed at Intercontinental with an original reservation for for five nights.  After four nights, I decided to go to a hotel closer to the airport for my return flight home.  Incredibly, I was charged $250.00 for leaving earlier than my original reservation.  This penalty was despite my having "status" with IHG and Intercontinental.  

Bottom line - I think you have a good idea considering that your points keep being stolen, provided you remember to cancel each reservation within the time frame set my each IHG hotel.  

Wouldn't it be nice if IHG would be like banks, airlines, other hotels and most companies that require a decent password to access customer accounts?  A four digit password to access our accounts is not very smart of IHG management.  

• Members

I did several 10-day reservations at top hotels 6 months out (July). IHG allows you to cancel rewards up to 48 hours before. (It used to be 24 hrs).

I did grab my normal 3 days in NOLA for Mardi Gras too. That and NYE in NYC are great uses of IHG points. And I love the La Concha in Key West.

I'll have to cancel and rebook as I need to use them but that's a lot easier than hanging on the phone with Banglahore for an hour everytime I get hacked.

Also, somehow their CSR redeposited an extra 2 million points in my account ! That's a LOT of  nights.  Let's see if they're any more competent clawing them back.

• Members
On 1/9/2018 at 12:09 AM, tassojunior said:

I did several 10-day reservations at top hotels 6 months out (July). IHG allows you to cancel rewards up to 48 hours before. (It used to be 24 hrs).

I did grab my normal 3 days in NOLA for Mardi Gras too. That and NYE in NYC are great uses of IHG points. And I love the La Concha in Key West.

I'll have to cancel and rebook as I need to use them but that's a lot easier than hanging on the phone with Banglahore for an hour everytime I get hacked.

Also, somehow their CSR redeposited an extra 2 million points in my account ! That's a LOT of  nights.  Let's see if they're any more competent clawing them back.

Here is quite an eye opener for those who accumulate hotel points and air miles.  

There is an actual market for stolen points and miles - 

http://abc30.com/travel/travel-scam-alert-/2932072/